Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Simcha Section
Sheva Brachos menue help

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:05 pm
I’m making sheva brachos in my house and I’d love to have the menu slightly upscale. But my mind went BLANK.
Any suggestions for my menu?
Thanks!

mom!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:19 pm
fleishigs or milchigs?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:22 pm
Fleishigs

mom!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:24 pm
You can start with the pastrami stuffed shells from overtime cook. They look beautiful, and freeze well. Goes with a dipping sauce that you can serve on the side.
For a soup you can do a fleishig split pea soup
Main: chicken or meat?

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:25 pm
Thanks for getting me started! I'm open to either chicken or meat.

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:31 pm
If you are serving a challah or dinner roll at each place, something that I have found that goes over well is having a very small plate with olive oil and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder or minced garlic) at each place for people to dip their bread. It's a nice "upscale" touch.

Also candles always take things up a notch if there are not too many little kids. You can get small flat mirrors in Amazing Savings or Michaels (or any craft store) and use tea lights if you are worried about taller candlesticks getting knocked over.

Enjoy the planning!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:32 pm
Thanks!

mom!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:34 pm
I have an amazing cutlet recipe-breaded baked in a red sauce. PM me for recipe if you would like.

ladYdI

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 2:43 pm
Cut out of bread the initial of their last name
Sprinkle with oil and spices and toast it
Float on top of the soup.
Use rest of bread for yummy croutons or stuffing
For dessert you can make strawberry shortcake choc mousse and lemon mousse in individual cups w covers and freeze in advance. Then give everybody a choice

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:15 pm
ladYdI wrote:
Cut out of bread the initial of their last name
Sprinkle with oil and spices and toast it
Float on top of the soup.
Use rest of bread for yummy croutons or stuffing
For dessert you can make strawberry shortcake choc mousse and lemon mousse in individual cups w covers and freeze in advance. Then give everybody a choice

Regarding the bolded above, do you have recipes and a picture of what it looks like completed and also a link to where to get these individual cups with covers. I am also planning a simcha and would love to make these in advance.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:20 pm
Cookiegirl wrote:
If you are serving a challah or dinner roll at each place, something that I have found that goes over well is having a very small plate with olive oil and spices (salt, pepper, garlic powder or minced garlic) at each place for people to dip their bread. It's a nice "upscale" touch.

Also candles always take things up a notch if there are not too many little kids. You can get small flat mirrors in Amazing Savings or Michaels (or any craft store) and use tea lights if you are worried about taller candlesticks getting knocked over.

Enjoy the planning!

Just to add to the tealights on a mirror , I also took wine glasses on stems , turned them upside down, put a single colored flower in it (to match the color scheme) , so the goblet was standing upside down on the mirror , with a flower in the cup part, and I put a tea light on the base of the stem of the glass and two tea lights on the mirror with some scattered white stones (that I took from my property outside) on the mirror as well . It was a very elegant, easy and cheap centerpiece .

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:21 pm
Also- I recommend the Sweet and Sticky Green Beans from KBD as a side dish. Looks pretty and usually well liked...

2 1bs green beans, trimmed
2 T olive oil
3 large shallots, thinly sliced
3 cloves fresh garlic, thinly sliced
1/2 red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch dice
1/2 yellow pepper, cut as above
1/3 c honey
3 T soy sauce
1 T cornstarch

Place green beans it pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil and cook 2-3 min. Drain. Rinse with cold water to stop cooking.

Fry shallots and garlic in olive oil until garlic is fragrant but not browned. Add peppers and saute for 3 min longer. Add honey.

In small bowl, dissolve cornstarch in soy sauce. Add to skilled. Bring to simmer so sauce thickens.

Transfer beans to skillet and toss gently with tongs until combined.

Cookiegirl

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:23 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Just to add to the tealights on a mirror , I also took wine glasses on stems , turned them upside down, put a single colored flower in it (to match the color scheme) , so the goblet was standing upside down on the mirror , with a flower in the cup part, and I put a tea light on the base of the stem of the glass and two tea lights on the mirror with some scattered white stones (that I took from my property outside) on the mirror as well . It was a very elegant, easy and cheap centerpiece .

Nice idea, Thunderstorm...thanks!

jewishmom6

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 3:29 pm
We always do kishka/pastrami capons for SB. Its delicious and pretty. you can do a pretty orzo w/ veggies and put it on a plate with a measuring cup for a pretty look.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 4:19 pm
Daniel's mom, can you post the recipe or link for pastrami shells? Sounds right up my alley.
LadYdl- how do u cut out the initial from bread? Cookie cutter or free hand?

amother
Ivory

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 4:30 pm
I am not Daniel's mom, but I think she might be referring to this recipe
Pastrami Shells Recipe

tweety1

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 4:35 pm
studying_torah wrote:
Daniel's mom, can you post the recipe or link for pastrami shells? Sounds right up my alley.

It's on overtimecook.com

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 5:40 pm
Starters: salad in tortilla bowl with dressing on side. Can put deli or salmon on it.
Potato/meat boureka with mushroom sauce

Soup. I like to make two thicker soups a potato leak and butternut squash and then pour each on one side of bowl so it's two toned and I top it off with Terra stick or crushed Terra chips in the middle for garnish

Main: capon stuffed with rice or kishka
Minute steak
A chicken roast/ meat roast/ lamb roast and give. Asteip of all three
Stuffed zucchini chicken
Chicken cutlet grilled

Sides.
Wild rice
Roasted potatoes
Roasted sweet potatoes
String beans
Snap peas

Dessert: I like a brownie or apple cobbler with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. I also drizzle maple syrup and toadted pecans on the ice cream.

A couple scoops of different color sorbets is also great.

For rolls you can do a whole wheat and white baby baguette by each place with doloce oil for dipping or a couple dips.
Or just plain challah rolls.

mom!

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:12 pm
studying_torah wrote:

Yes, it is that link posted. Double the pastrami though.

studying_torah

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:14 pm
Thank you!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics