Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Of the measles cases in the tri-state area this month...

bunchagirlies

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:46 pm
how many were vaccinated?

Cookie Monster

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:47 pm
🍿

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:49 pm
According to CDC, NONE except 2 with immune deficiencies /medical conditions .
I get the CDC report as I work in healthcare - not in Monsey .

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:53 pm
Someone in our shul just came back to shul on Shabbos. He had the measles and he was vaccinated. He is an Uber driver and may have picked it up from a passenger. But because he was vaccinated the doctors told him he had a much milder case. He was given the all clear on Friday and was able to go to shul on Shabbos.

happyone

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:55 pm
I doubt they would give the all clear before 21 days even if mild.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 7:59 pm
happyone wrote:
I doubt they would give the all clear before 21 days even if mild.

He was home for 21 days. But didn't feel as sick.

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Oct 31 2018, 8:53 pm
amother wrote:
According to CDC, NONE except 2 with immune deficiencies /medical conditions .
I get the CDC report as I work in healthcare - not in Monsey .

Any idea how many were not vaccinated by choice, vs too young or the like?

amother
Tan

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:27 am
amother wrote:
Any idea how many were not vaccinated by choice, vs too young or the like?

12 were under 12 months old. They are now recommending vaccines for infants. However they will still need two additional vaccines according to regular schedule .

happyone

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 1:29 am
bunchagirlies wrote:
how many were vaccinated?

https://www.lohud.com/story/ne.....1002/
According to this report NONE had documented vaccinations, and 12 were infants .

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:12 am
A new case was caught Thursday, Oct 26 in BP. That means we are not out the woods at least until Nov 17. Please have piety on the newborns. Remember they can have cholilA encefalitis (brain delays) or become deaf lo aleini. Please all 16 years and up ask the simple blood test called titers. Please do not come to visit me if you dont vax,,, we look at non VAX as selfish and lazy and nasty beings, and parasite tenants. Also you lie to doctors nurses and secretaries! You mislead school. And its time all schools gang up together not to allow kids in school ever if they have a wicked exemption

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 2:23 am
The bes din in New Square wants to come out with a psak that every person there must vaccinate. They will have no choice but follow.

momX4

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 7:46 am
happyone wrote:
https://www.lohud.com/story/news/local/rockland/2018/10/31/rockland-measles-outbreak-largest-ny/1834661002/
According to this report NONE had documented vaccinations, and 12 were infants .

This article was about an outbreak from a few years ago. The 12 babies was in 2013.

FranticFrummie

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:06 am
I'm going to be honest. I had no idea what titres were, until I was getting ready to make Aliyah, and needed to get my dogs certified so they wouldn't get stuck in quarantine. They needed rabies vaccine titres, and one of them didn't take, so it had to be repeated.

That got me thinking that I couldn't remember my last immunization, and that DD was behind on her boosters. We got to the community health clinic, and sure enough, we both needed various boosters.

I think most adults have no idea what titres are, and how important they are. There needs to be a community wide campaign to educate people on this. IMHO, it's every bit as important as early childhood vaccination.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:33 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

I think most adults have no idea what titres are, and how important they are. There needs to be a community wide campaign to educate people on this. IMHO, it's every bit as important as early childhood vaccination.

Yup. I will tell every Rabanit and Kallah teacher to recomend this simple blood test. My measles titer had weakened drastically and my daughter's mumps titer had too. I call it "evaporated".

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 01 2018, 8:37 am
amother wrote:
Yup. I will tell every Rabanit and Kallah teacher to recomend this simple blood test. My measles titer had weakened drastically and my daughter's mumps titer had too. I call it "evaporated".

FYI, proof of immunization trumps a titer. That is because titers may be low; however, immunity should still be present is 93-97% of people who received two vaccinations.

An example of this would be a child who is allergic to a certain substance: The child may do blood work that comes back showing that he should not have a reaction; however, when exposed, the child could not only have a reaction, but a severe one. A subsequent blood test after the exposure would most likely show antibodies to the allergen; however, if the child had not been exposed for a long time prior, his blood test could misleadingly appear to have no allergy to a substance although when exposed he would react. Likewise, proof of two MMR immunizations makes someone approximately 95% immune and would trump titers (unless you know you only received one vaccine or the inactive vaccine, etc.). You could still choose to be vaccinated again, but just because a titer is low does not mean that someone with documented MMR vaccinations is not immune.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics