Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Sauteed potatoes

myomi

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:18 am
I don't know if anyone has done this but I went to a dinner where they boil the potatoes then saute them in oil and spices..does anyone make this?how long do u boil the potatoes at first?what kind of spices do you use?they were delicious!thanx!

willow

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 8:31 am
I was at my husbands rebbe's house for dinner and his wife made those potatoes. I did not get the recipe but tried to duplicate it on my own. I served it the first time I had guests and turned out delicious. (I had no leftovers and I had made a lot).
I peeled and boiled red potatoes,(till soft)
then fried a lot of onions,
then I added the potatoes to the onion pot.
You then add salt and paprika.( you may want to add chili powder or garlic powder for variety, I just used salt and paprika
Cover the pot (I do not know how long, but since everything is already cooked I don't think you need to do it for long.)and let it cook on a low flame.
Thats all there is to it Enjoy!

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Aug 14 2005, 6:20 pm
I just made this during the nine days - it's great with fish. I use the cocktail potatoes and I DOn't peel them becauase they look so pretty. just wash really well. It's qite a fancy side dish I've had it at weddings before.

I did it in a variety of ways.

Fry brown onions (use margarin for it to be more tasty but I don't) add a few tbspns brown sugar and add the boiled (till they're JUST underdone) potatoes adn saute until they're brown and alittle crunchy. Serve with the onions YUM

Or try frying a diced onion and diced mushrooms add plenty S&P and then add your potatoes to be browned

I would say you need about 3 or 4 potatoes per person..but pple always want seconds. Also they keep really well in the oven on Fri Night.

Oh and another tip! Don't use alot of oil/marg because the potatoes get covered in it and its' TOTALLY unnecessary and makes it not so tasty bc your mouth gets all greasy. (that was my first mistake batch!)

btw you can also use rosemary - though I've never done it.

Yael

Post Mon, Dec 05 2005, 8:45 pm
I make the same dish but I bake it in the oven. I take raw cubed potatoes add oil and spices and salt, mix it up and bake for an hour. if you add sweet potatoes or carrots it comes out even more delicious.

mother48

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 2:54 pm
olive oil and season salt is always good

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 06 2005, 3:19 pm
I put together a potato dish once; I sprayed a frying pan with nonstick spray and also added a bit of water to and sliced the potatoes and added them. they're kinda half sauteed, but they're also soft due to the water. I kept spraying and adding water as necessary, and also added salt, pepper, and a dash of cayenne pepper.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes