Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Can I ask my landlord to change the light bulb?

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:10 am
We have very high ceilings and light fixtures that are difficult to open and close. My husband isn’t handy and won’t do it unless I’m down his back about it and even then it will be a whole ordeal. Can I ask the manager to take care of it?

watergirl

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:15 am
You can ask. Why not? You’d have to be prepared with the replacement bumbs though. And he may say no; tenents are typically expected to do this themselves. But cant hurt to ask!

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:22 am
Purchase LED bulbs for it so that you won't have to replace them again for many years. Well worth the extra expense.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 8:48 am
As posted, light bulb replacement is not generally considered to be the landlord's responsibility.

Does your landlord live in the building? After my Bubbe died, my parents rented her apartment in their two family house to a woman and my father would have done this kind of stuff for her just as a matter of courtesy just as he might for a neighbor woman who lived alone especially if it required some kind of special equipment like a ladder.

If there is a super in the building, I would ask him to do it for me AND tip him because this is NOT one of the duties of a super generally.

You write that your husband just doesn't want to do it - not that he is incapable of doing it. If he won't do it, I would hire a teenage boy in the neighborhood to do it.

Last edited by Amarante on Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:19 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:03 am
Amarante wrote:
As posted, light bulb replacement is not generally considered to be the landlord's responsibility.

Does your landlord live in the building? After my Bubbe died, my parents rented her apartment in their two family house to a woman and my father would have done this kind of stuff for her just as a matter of courtesy just as he might for a neighbor woman who lived alone especially if it required some kind of special equipment like a ladder.

If their is a super in the building, I would ask him to do it for me AND tip him because this is NOT one of the duties of a super generally.

You write that your husband just doesn't want to do it - not that he is incapable of doing it. If he won't do it, I would hire a teenage boy in the neighborhood to do it.

My husband would do anything for me. But he’s not handy and I cringe asking him to do things that I know will be a whole production. He also hasn’t been feeling well and has some injuries which would make it even more difficult for him. That’s why my first choice would be the manager but I wanted to know how off the wall it is to ask. We don’t even have a ladder necessary to change it or I would do it myself...

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:06 am
amother wrote:
My husband would do anything for me. But he’s not handy and I cringe asking him to do things that I know will be a while production. He also hasn’t been feeling well and has some injuries which would make it even more difficult for him. That’s why my first choice would be the manager but I wanted to know how off the wall it is to ask.

Is this a large complex with a super or other staff?

I would ask the super or someone who does maintenance to do it for me and pay them.

I live in a condo with staff and I have one of the guys do all kinds of minor things for me and then I give them a nice tip so they are always happy to help me. :-)

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:07 am
Amarante wrote:
Is this a large complex with a super or other staff?

I would ask the super or someone who does maintenance to do it for me and pay them.

I live in a condo with staff and I have one of the guys do all kinds of minor things for me and then I give them a nice tip so they are always happy to help me. :-)

Not in a big building but there’s a manger because the owner is an investor. They are always very helpful. How much would you tip to change two light bulbs?

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:12 am
amother wrote:
Not in a big building but there’s a manger because the owner is an investor. They are always very helpful. How much would you tip to change two light bulbs?

Is the manager someone who normally performs maintenance chores in the building. I wouldn't ask an office manager to perform physical labor unless he generally did it for the building.

Who cleans the building? Who does minor maintenance for the building?

Depending on what is involved in terms of the job, I would tip between $10 and $20 because I can't do it; it's way less expensive than if I hired a handyman and I tip well for the guys in my building because they also do a lot of stuff to help me for free like taking package out of my car and putting them in a cart when I come home with lots of stuff.

FranticFrummie

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 9:17 am
One of these will be worth the money in the long run:
https://wiki.ezvid.com/best-bulb-changers

rising hero

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 10:41 am
ra_mom wrote:
Purchase LED bulbs for it so that you won't have to replace them again for many years. Well worth the extra expense.

I've yet to see a led bulb that lasted the amount stated on the package.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 02 2018, 1:08 pm
Madam F. wrote:
I've yet to see a led bulb that lasted the amount stated on the package.

I've seen them last a few years. And the florescents last a few months.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics