Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Measles
1  2  3  Next

chag334

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 8:59 pm
Hoping I don’t start a wild fire here.
I gave my son the mmr shot last week and he developed a fever of 101.8. It’s subsiding bH and there is no rash, only the fever. He is presenting very well.

My concern is, can he spread measles while he is still slightly feverish if we have people or children in the house? The fever is lowering Bh but it’s still there.

Eta : the doctor said any fever or reaction would occur one week after the shot- which is exactly what happened .

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:05 pm
The reaction to the shot isn't measles. He has fever, which is normal and expected. Nothing to worry about.

chag334

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:06 pm
amother wrote:
The reaction to the shot isn't measles. He has fever, which is normal and expected. Nothing to worry about.

But doesn’t this vaccine shed? Or is that only if they have a rash..

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:08 pm
chag334 wrote:
But doesn’t this vaccine shed? Or is that only if they have a rash..

I did a quick search and saw this:

It seems that the idea that the MMR vaccine sheds and can lead to measles outbreaks is one of those anti-vaccine myths that just won’t go away.

https://vaxopedia.org/2018/03/.....reak/

And from NHS in the UK (the national health service):

It's not possible for people who have recently had the MMR vaccine to infect other people.

And on the same page:

The side effects of the MMR vaccine are usually mild. It's important to remember that they're milder than the potential complications of measles, mumps and rubella.

Side effects include:

developing a mild form of measles that lasts for 2 to 3 days (this is not infectious)

So it seems that even if it would be spots then it's okay.

nchr

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:17 pm
The Measles vaccine does not shed and your child cannot give ppl the measles. If the measles vaccine shed, there would be hundreds of primary cases in the us every year, however there are none except those related to travel.

chag334

Post Sat, Nov 03 2018, 9:22 pm
Thanks all:)Smile feeling much better. A gute voch

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 12:35 am
1. The vaccine sheds. My friend vaccinated her son and then all 9 of her kids got the measles and her, and, yes, she was vaccinated. 3 of them were hospitalized and it was definitely the measles.
2. The vaccine sheds because it's LIVE VIRUS. READ THE PACKAGE INSERT PEOPLE.
3. The rash and fever is in fact measles. READ THE PACKAGE INSERT.

Thank you.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:16 pm
amother wrote:
1. The vaccine sheds. My friend vaccinated her son and then all 9 of her kids got the measles and her, and, yes, she was vaccinated. 3 of them were hospitalized and it was definitely the measles.

Thank you.

If this is the case, please refer us to when and where it occurred. Measles vaccine does not shed. Not every live virus vaccine sheds because it has to do with the amount of viral load found later in the blood and if that viral load is able to infect another person. If your story is indeed true, it would be documented and reported and I'd like to contact the CDC or other health facility if outside of the USA to confirm it.

MMR does not shed. The only vaccines to actively shed is the OPV vaccine, which is not given in the U.S. because it is no longer needed so it was replaced with IPV which has much less side effects, and the rotavirus vaccine. OPV's shedding actually makes it a very successful vaccine to use where there are polio outbreaks because even children who are not immunized may receive immunity through a friend. In addition, there have been a few cases of individuals catching the chicken pox virus through a vaccinated individual, which would possibly indicate that the chicken pox vaccine could potentially shed if a child develops a chicken pox like rash after vaccination, but nothing of that case has been tied to MMR. Studies have tested individuals blood after having received vaccines and the only virus found 7 to 28 days after vaccination was Rubella and in far too small amounts to infect another individual.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:33 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you.

The package insert, huh?
https://www.skepticalraptor.co.....yths/

amother
Plum

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:49 pm
To play your own game, skeptical raptor is an avid anti-antivaxxer so his website is biased. He is also not a doctor.
He has an undergrad in biology. In this "report" he claims the adverse events in the package inserts are often "coincidences". What he bases that on, I don't know

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:10 pm
Seafoam: what you said about your friend is purely anecdotal. In no way, shape or form is it proof.

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:21 pm
amother wrote:
The package insert, huh?
https://www.skepticalraptor.co.....yths/

Here are the actual package inserts:

1. https://www.merck.com/product/.....1.pdf
Go to 5.8: "There are no reports of transmission of the more attenuated Enders' Edmonston strain of measles virus or the Jeryl Lynn™ strain of mumps virus from vaccine recipients to susceptible contacts"

2. https://www.merck.com/product/.....I.pdf
p. 5 "There are no reports of transmission of live attenuated measles or mumps viruses from vaccinees to susceptible contacts."

amother
Seashell

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:39 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you.

The stunning thing is you made this up because you really believe this could actually happen...

happyone

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:49 pm
amother wrote:
The stunning thing is you made this up because you really believe this could actually happen...

Were they quarantined for 21 days ? 3 or more is an outbreak which needs to be reported to.the DOH. Doubt this story makes sense. Fever or real measles?

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 9:31 pm
happyone wrote:
Were they quarantined for 21 days ? 3 or more is an outbreak which needs to be reported to.the DOH. Doubt this story makes sense. Fever or real measles?

1. Yes quarantined for 3 weeks
2. What did you think, I'd ask my friend to hand over her kids' medical records to send to skeptical strangers on the internet?
3. I am aware of what a package insert is but that idiot isn't. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years.
4. Make your own choices. Please read about them first.

amother
Seafoam

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 9:36 pm
See page 34 The Emerging Risks of Live Virus & Virus Vectored Vaccines:
PDFNational Vaccine Information Center › pdf

https://www.google.com/url?sa=.....qcah4

itsmeima

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:28 pm
amother wrote:

Thank you.

Doctors need to legally report such cases, so pray tell - where does your friend live?

nchr

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
1. Yes quarantined for 3 weeks
2. What did you think, I'd ask my friend to hand over her kids' medical records to send to skeptical strangers on the internet?
3. I am aware of what a package insert is but that idiot isn't. I worked in the pharmaceutical industry for years.
4. Make your own choices. Please read about them first.

I'm sorry, but did you call me an Idiot because I posted links to the actual package inserts (which happen to disprove your story)? I'm confused here?

NovelConcept

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 11:00 am
I'm just curious WHEN your friend got the vaccine. Was it in response to the measles outbreak?
Because if so, how can the claim be made that the family got measles from the shot, when there is an actual EPIDEMIC going around?

amother
Orange

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 12:50 pm
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/p.....8Send to
Arch Intern Med. 1994 Aug 22;154(16):1815-20.
Failure to reach the goal of measles elimination. Apparent paradox of measles infections in immunized persons.
Poland GA1, Jacobson RM.
Author information
Abstract
BACKGROUND:
Measles is the most transmissible disease known to man. During the 1980s, the number of measles cases in the United States rose dramatically. Surprisingly, 20% to 40% of these cases occurred in persons who had been appropriately immunized against measles. In response, the United States adopted a two-dose universal measles immunization program. We critically examine the effect of vaccine failure in measles occurring in immunized persons.

METHODS:
We performed a computerized bibliographic literature search (National Library of Medicine) for all English-language articles dealing with measles outbreaks. We limited our search to reports of US and Canadian school-based outbreaks of measles, and we spoke with experts to get estimates of vaccine failure rates. In addition, we devised a hypothetical model of a school where measles immunization rates could be varied, vaccine failure rates could be calculated, and the percentage of measles cases occurring in immunized students could be determined.

RESULTS:
We found 18 reports of measles outbreaks in very highly immunized school populations where 71% to 99.8% of students were immunized against measles. Despite these high rates of immunization, 30% to 100% (mean, 77%) of all measles cases in these outbreaks occurred in previously immunized students. In our hypothetical school model, after more than 95% of schoolchildren are immunized against measles, the majority of measles cases occur in appropriately immunized children.

CONCLUSIONS:
The apparent paradox is that as measles immunization rates rise to high levels in a population, measles becomes a disease of immunized persons. Because of the failure rate of the vaccine and the unique transmissibility of the measles virus, the currently available measles vaccine, used in a single-dose strategy, is unlikely to completely eliminate measles. The long-term success of a two-dose strategy to eliminate measles remains to be determined.

PMID: 8053748
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics