Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
I'm Seas, ask me anything
  Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next

southernbubby

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:35 pm
Most people who are as Chassidishe as you don't go online. How do you reconcile that?

married05

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:39 pm
Seas wrote:
Chassidish, originating from Poland (sorry I'm not more specific). We also have some Satmar leanings, especially on the question of Zionism.

If you are chassidish , have you ever learnt the teachings of the Baal SHem Tov- particularly the topic of Bitul?

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:40 pm
Now Seas, I think this is my last question 😀. If by chance we would meet IRL and get along. Would you stop a friendship based on your hashkafos if they wouldn't be jive with mine? Would you voice your opinion on the matter and always believe that you are right, no matter what the argument is? Or do you portray yourself differently IRL? Can you accept someone for their differences if they accept you for your uncompromising stance ?

married05

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 3:41 pm
Or how about the concept of ahavas Yisroel- have you ever learnt what the Baal Shem Tov taught on this topic?

If you have, how do you reconcile your beliefs with the beshts teachings?

imasinger

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:43 pm
A comment, then a question.

The comment: This thread, to me, is an example of the change I have noticed in your posts of late. While you still have strong opinions, you seem to me to be more likely to post something reflecting a little humor or some self deprecation than in the past. I have clicked like on your posts far more often in the past year than I used to.

Are you aware of this change in yourself or your posting style?

Shuly

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 4:56 pm
I was sure you were a Brisker!

Have you ever been to Israel?

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:15 pm
southernbubby wrote:
Most people who are as Chassidishe as you don't go online. How do you reconcile that?

First of all I think you underestimate the usage of the internet by Chassidim. Not to mention that "chassidim" is far too broad a term to make almost any generalization.

Secondly, The fact that I do something has no bearing on whether I think it's right or wrong. I might know that I shouldn't be doing something, yet I struggle to resist the temptation. But what I won't do is lie to myself and pretend things are permitted just so they fit my actions.

This is my stance in general: regardless of what one does, one has to know what is actually right and wrong.

Thirdly, people are full of contradictions. That's what makes us human.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:16 pm
married05 wrote:
If you are chassidish , have you ever learnt the teachings of the Baal SHem Tov- particularly the topic of Bitul?

Not specifically. AFAIK there are no writings of the Besht - all his teachings are found in the seforim of his talmidim. DH learns and repeats chassidishe gedanken (thoughts) every Shabbos at the seudos.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:19 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
Now Seas, I think this is my last question 😀. If by chance we would meet IRL and get along. Would you stop a friendship based on your hashkafos if they wouldn't be jive with mine? Would you voice your opinion on the matter and always believe that you are right, no matter what the argument is? Or do you portray yourself differently IRL? Can you accept someone for their differences if they accept you for your uncompromising stance ?

You'd be surprised at the variety of friends I have. Broadly speaking, the only kind of person I would shun is one who mocks the Torah.

As to voicing my opinion, well it depends. I can't always be bothered getting into an argument (even here), so I'll often let things slide. But I do speak up a lot when I hear opinions that are wrong. But I'm cognizant of my inability to educate the entire world...

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:20 pm
Seas wrote:
First of all I think you underestimate the usage of the internet by Chassidim. Not to mention that "chassidim" is far too broad a term to make almost any generalization.

Secondly, The fact that I do something has no bearing on whether I think it's right or wrong. I might know that I shouldn't be doing something, yet I struggle to resist the temptation. But what I won't do is lie to myself and pretend things are permitted just so they fit my actions.

This is my stance in general: regardless of what one does, one has to know what is actually right and wrong.

Thirdly, people are full of contradictions. That's what makes us human.

👍🏻

Zehava

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:23 pm
A bobover. Well that makes sense.
Do you ever attend tisch and do you get involved in chassidish politics?

groisamomma

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:24 pm
I like this thread. It makes you seem more human, somehow. I've always envisioned you like you described but for some reason I thought you lived in England. Oh well, I was closer than most people here Very Happy.

Just throwing this out there: I really admire your rigidity in maintaining your stance when you feel something is a chillul hashem but I'll admit that I'm too much of a coward to say so under my username, so I often just "like" your posts and move on.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:24 pm
married05 wrote:
Or how about the concept of ahavas Yisroel- have you ever learnt what the Baal Shem Tov taught on this topic?

If you have, how do you reconcile your beliefs with the beshts teachings?

I have written about this at length. Ahavas Yisroel begins with the Jews you're halachically required to love, that is frum Jews. One who hasn't mastered the basics has no business doing "chassidus" and loving all Jews.

Furthermore, when one doesn't love all frum Jews, including those who have wronged them personally, yet loves secular Jews, that doesn't stem from ahavas Yisroel but from lack of ahavas Hashem.

It's natural not to like those who wrong the ones you love, like if I were to spit on your mother you wouldn't love me, ahavas Yisroel notwithstanding. So when don't love the neighbor who wronged you yet you do love the mechalel Shabbos, all it means is that you don't love Hashem, and a mechalel Shabbos doesn't really bother you.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:25 pm
imasinger wrote:

The comment: This thread, to me, is an example of the change I have noticed in your posts of late. While you still have strong opinions, you seem to me to be more likely to post something reflecting a little humor or some self deprecation than in the past. I have clicked like on your posts far more often in the past year than I used to.

I have indeed tried to temper my posts, and I'm glad you noticed.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:28 pm
Zehava wrote:

Neither confirming nor denying.

My DH is very into the chassidus, yet he very often repeats what the wife of On ben Peles told her husband during the machlokes of Korach with Moishe Rabeinu:
Whether Korach becomes the leader or whether Moishe stays the leader makes no difference to you, as you'll still be a commoner. Let them fight it out among themselves and you keep out of it.

Sound advice.

Seas

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:29 pm
groisamomma wrote:
I like this thread. It makes you seem more human, somehow. I've always envisioned you like you described but for some reason I thought you lived in England. Oh well, I was closer than most people here Very Happy.

Just throwing this out there: I really admire your rigidity in maintaining your stance when you feel something is a chillul hashem but I'll admit that I'm too much of a coward to say so under my username, so I often just "like" your posts and move on.

Thank you.

FTR I'm 100% human (even my sheitel is).

thunderstorm

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 5:31 pm
Zehava wrote:

Polish Chasiddus is not exclusive to Bobov. It could be Sanz Klausenberg , Amshinov, Ger etc. and I've seen all types wear sheitels with bands .

crust

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:00 pm
imasinger wrote:

I didn't want to just like your post. I wanted you to know that I agree with your post imasinger.

(Im waiting for the day that mamother becomes like Facebook or LinkedIn where you can see who liked your posts.)

crust

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:02 pm
Seas, would you be willing to meet?

karat

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:04 pm
Amshinov and Ger don’t typically have anti-Zionist sentiments.
And gerre women don’t wear covered wigs.

Last edited by karat on Sun, Nov 04 2018, 6:39 pm; edited 3 times in total
Page 3 of 16   Previous  1  2  3  4 14  15  16  Next Recent Topics