Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
I am a preschool teacher. AMA

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 10:42 pm
I don't know how these AMA's started- but this is fun! Ask away

Tzutzie

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 10:44 pm
How do you deal when your pregnant?

What is the student/teacher ratio?

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 10:55 pm
Do you treat cuter children differently?
Does a child’s clothing/dress affect how you treat them?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:01 pm
Tzutzie wrote:
How do you deal when your pregnant?

What is the student/teacher ratio?

it is definitely challenging when pregnant! I learned to bend down from the knees (squat) rather than bending from the back- and that made it way easier!

At the end of my pregnancy it becomes so painful to sit on the floor in a "pretzel" with my students at circle time (think tiny little heals digging into your rib cage!!) so in the last trimester I have to find different ways to sit...

honestly find it harder to find time to pump after maternity leave is over!

ETA: regarding student:teacher ratio, every year is different... I have one assistant, and each year I have 14-18 students. (if there are SEITs, or health paras in the class, that also makes a difference...

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
Do you treat cuter children differently?
Does a child’s clothing/dress affect how you treat them?

When I was young and dumb, I did tend to favor the "cuter" kids... but I have since worked on myself to find something to appreciate in all of my students. Incredibly, Hashem has given each child their own "cuteness" or chein that makes them lovable. In regard to clothing, I don't treat children differently because one mommy has more money and time to spend shopping for the latest trends, while another is wearing a jumper that her mother got as a hand-me-down for her sister that is now in 3rd grade... styles and trends are certainly noticed when a child walks in, but that's it. I'm not paying attention to their shoes or logos beyond the first 5 seconds of the day.

Is it easier to hug a child that has a clean face, clean smell, and clean clothing when they walk into school? certainly. but that does not mean I don't hug that ones that are not fortunate enough to be taken care of that way... Every child gets a chance to sit on Morahs lap by circle time.

On the same note, the "best dressed" child can also be the one that is used to always getting her way, and has mommy wrapped around her little finger. In that sense, the best-dressed can be the most challenging and be the hardest one to love... but she is loved just the same...

some love takes work Smile

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:27 pm
How much private stories from home do the children really repeat?

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Nov 04 2018, 11:42 pm
amother wrote:
How much private stories from home do the children really repeat?

The kids actually don't share that much private information... Even if they do tell stories, kids this age have such active imaginations and they also don't have a total understanding of everything, so I never know what is true and what is not!

For example, I have had a few students that were the youngest in their families, talking about their "baby" at home. The baby could mean their doll, their nieces or nephew, or a totally made up figure of their imagination because they are jealous of their classmates that can always talk about their babies at home!

Sometimes I choose not to believe a story- and later find out that the kid was telling me the truth! Sometimes I choose to believe a story, and find out that the kid totally made it up!

pne student who was an only child always talked about her brother... I was very confused! I finally understood that she thought her father was also her brother because he is a boy!

Another student that was an only child always talked about her sister... I thought she was making it up or did not understand what a sister is... Turned out that her parents had married very late, and her father had been married previously and had an 18 year old daughter from that marriage!

I learned to listen and nod and not reach any conclusions before hearing more from the parents Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics