Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Volunteer?

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:38 am
A friend of mine runs a small playgroup and asks me if I can take over for an hour once in a while because she has a doctor's appointment (can't go later). Sometimes I can't but if I can, I try to do it to help her (she has trouble finding someone). The $10 or so she pays me means more to her than to me. She speaks about her trouble with parnassa often, so it's not like she's embarrassed by it. Can/should I tell her she doesn't need to pay me? Is it inappropriate? Condescending?

salt

Post Mon, Nov 05 2018, 4:53 am
I think it's best that she pays you the $10. If you tell her she doesn't have to pay, it can backfire in 2 directions -
- either she'll feel bad asking you, and won't ask when she needs.
- or she'll take too much advantage of you, and you will become resentful.

This way, with a symbolic payment, you feel you're not being taken advantage of, and she feels she's not getting chessed.

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 4:24 am
Thanks so much for the feedback. That's why I originally did take the money, and I guess I will continue. It's just hard to take money from someone you know needs it more than you do.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics