Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
I never bake challoh!
1  2  3  Next

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 5:58 am
Am I the only one that has been married 10 years and still doesn't bake?

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:04 am
I always buy.

cm

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:15 am
IME home-baked bread is a rarity. People who enjoy baking and have the time do it.

ectomorph

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:18 am
In town no one bakes. Why should you, you can get fresh challah for 3 dollars a loaf.

If you live in a small oot community like I do everyone bakes ... The cost here is just too high. And the challah available is terrible tasting. I don't know anyone in my community who always buys.

I bake a month's supply and freeze.

etky

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:31 am
So, can we ask you anything? Smile

amother
Salmon

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 6:40 am
Must not take so long for shabbos prep.. baking challah takes me the longest from everything else... though I don’t need to bake every week

grace413

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:01 am
Never baked challah in my life.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:04 am
I only started baking recently, and that's only because I finally found a really quick and easy recipe. And even with that, I only bake once a month. I make a big batch and freeze.

Ema of 5

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:05 am
amother wrote:
Am I the only one that has been married 10 years and still doesn't bake?

I’m married 12. Someone gave me a bread machine as a wedding present, and I gave it to my sister. I’ve neber made challa

elisheva25

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:07 am
Never bake married 10+ years

Harried mama

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:08 am
ectomorph wrote:
In town no one bakes. Why should you, you can get fresh challah for 3 dollars a loaf.

If you live in a small oot community like I do everyone bakes ... The cost here is just too high. And the challah available is terrible tasting. I don't know anyone in my community who always buys.

I bake a month's supply and freeze.

Challah is easily accessible and cheap where I live, but I still bake, as do most of my friends. It's a mitzvah and we like it better than bakery challah. Not that there's anything wrong with buying challah and I certainly don't look down upon those who do, but there are other reasons for baking challah besides price and convenience.

little neshamala

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:34 am
I always wanted to but due to hectic schedule was only able to do it a few times a year (mind you the fact that I was so not used to doing it and had to have my nose in the coobook the whole time didnt help.) But recently I decided thats it. Im baking challa regularly. Not because its cheaper (which it is!)but simply because its one of my specific mitzvahs as a woman and I figure I can use all the Bracha I can get...so far so good and I just hope I can continue like this. I think it will get easier as I get more comfortable with the process

allthingsblue

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:38 am
I haven't baked since my 18 month old was a newborn.
It's too complicated; I need to find a day when I have time to make the dough, let it rise, form the challos, bake them, wait for them to cool and then freeze them... no such day in my life!
Plus, I have a mixer that doesn't hold 5lb of flour, but once I am baking I want to be able to make a bracha, so I have to deal with the messy fallout involved in halving the recipe and kneading half at a time...

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:38 am
amother wrote:
Must not take so long for shabbos prep.. baking challah takes me the longest from everything else... though I don’t need to bake every week

Not everyone bakes erev Shabbos.
I remember when a friend told me that her MIL only started baking challos after like 20 years of marriage. I think it was great for the friend to hear.
I say this as someone who does bake challah: It felt so great to develop this skill. Not to mention that I save a lot of money. (Though of course, Shabbos expenses, etc.) And while taking challah's a wonderful mitzvah I don't think that should be the cheshbon. What the cheshbon should be is, what works for you. And this works. There are wonderful bakeries, challah is not priced like luxury items (no $10 or $15 challah, right?), it's not like you're eating bonbons and on imamother and reading trashy novels all day*....so buy those challos confidently and b'simcha and say l'kavod Shabbos when you put them in your wagon/take the bag from the person at the counter. That's what Hashem really wants.

*because if the novels weren't trashy that would be a different story Very Happy

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 7:43 am
I always make my own but it would be a huge time saver to buy. If I worked full time or never had guests I would probably buy.

A suggestion that may make it easier. Make dough thursday night and put in fridge till about an hour before ready to make on friday.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:46 am
I never bought store bought challah in the history of my marriage.

I make once a month on Wednesday (Thursday is too hectic) and freeze them.

Challah really isn’t difficult. I enjoy but the mitzva and the special time to daven.

This works for me though. Do what works for you!

Last edited by SuperWify on Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total

lfab

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 8:48 am
When I was first married I used to make every now and then but mostly I bought. But I really liked the taste of homemade so much better. When I got an extra freezer I started to only make homemade challah. But I only make every few months since when I make I will do 15 pounds at a time (3 batches of 5 pounds). And I never ever make it erev shabbos. I always make it on a Sunday and it's just the activity for the day.

imasoftov

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 9:20 am
We only bake challah a few times a year. Both of us know how to.

iyar

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 9:23 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Not everyone bakes erev Shabbos.
I remember when a friend told me that her MIL only started baking challos after like 20 years of marriage. I think it was great for the friend to hear.
I say this as someone who does bake challah: It felt so great to develop this skill. Not to mention that I save a lot of money. (Though of course, Shabbos expenses, etc.) And while taking challah's a wonderful mitzvah I don't think that should be the cheshbon. What the cheshbon should be is, what works for you. And this works. There are wonderful bakeries, challah is not priced like luxury items (no $10 or $15 challah, right?), it's not like you're eating bonbons and on imamother and reading trashy novels all day*....so buy those challos confidently and b'simcha and say l'kavod Shabbos when you put them in your wagon/take the bag from the person at the counter. That's what Hashem really wants.

*because if the novels weren't trashy that would be a different story Very Happy

Ordinarily I don't look favorably at anyone saying "That's what Hashem really wants" but PF you're in a category of your own.
Loved your post!
When Yael offers her award for best post I hope I'll be able to find this one!

Shoshana37

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 9:26 am
I love baking that's therapy for me. you have to do what's best for you and not feel guilty about it. I am sure you do a lot of other great things that other woman don't do.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics