Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I'm a seamstress, AMA!
1  2  Next

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:31 pm
I'm a seamstress for my frum community. Ask me anything! I'm curious to see what people are interested to know.

amother
Indigo

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:52 pm
How do you feel about your customers that request clothing that are not your tsnius standards?

(Meaning less modest than your or your community's standards.)

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:52 pm
I have so much trouble with my Jenome sewing machine. What is the best machine for normal use. I make stuff for grandchildren. Sometimes they also use the machine. Those old fashioned Singers were the best ever invented but what kind of machine are you using?

naturalmom5

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:55 pm
I will echo SB. I have a Singer machine with the yellow sewing book it came with from my MIL ah (circas 1970s) .

I also have 2 machines made of solid iron , should I get them running or just buy something brand new

octopus

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:58 pm
Are you worried about getting carpal tunnel(sp???)?

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:20 am
octopus wrote:
Are you worried about getting carpal tunnel(sp???)?

Interesting...I have thought about that. I guess I figured that if I'm not sewing I'd be doing something else creative with my hands anyway. I think I'll cross that bridge if I come to it, chas v'shalom! I do get sore, though, around yom tov time and other busy seasons.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:22 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
I will echo SB. I have a Singer machine with the yellow sewing book it came with from my MIL ah (circas 1970s) .

I also have 2 machines made of solid iron , should I get them running or just buy something brand new

You could probably get the old ones running, but the new ones come with so many helpful features that it may be worth it to invest in a new one. You can get a really good sewing machine for under $200 these days. Keep an eye out for JoAnne's sales and read the reviews online.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:25 am
southernbubby wrote:
I have so much trouble with my Jenome sewing machine. What is the best machine for normal use. I make stuff for grandchildren. Sometimes they also use the machine. Those old fashioned Singers were the best ever invented but what kind of machine are you using?

I'm currently using a Brother cs-8072. I bought it new at a yard sale for $50 if I remember correctly. It is a more expensive machine...maybe $300 new. I would really just read reviews online to help make my decision if I needed to replace it.
My kids do use it sometimes too, although much less frequently now than before my business took off.

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:27 am
amother wrote:
How do you feel about your customers that request clothing that are not your tsnius standards?

(Meaning less modest than your or your community's standards.)

B"H in my OOT community this doesn't pose a huge problem for me. Sometimes a client will ask for a hem just at the middle to bottom of the knee. I generally offer a chair so she can see where the hem ends once she is sitting. That's the only real issue I've had, B"H!

gande

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:29 am
Are you scared to mess up? What do you do if a client complains or doesnt like the results?

maidale

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:38 am
I love my janome machine!

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:04 am
What’s your best erev Yom Tov story?
How many calls do you get erev shabbos for "emergencies"?

Rappel

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:14 am
What is the most complex project you have ever done?

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 2:29 am
What’s the most fulfilling job you’ve gotten?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 8:45 am
maidale wrote:
I love my janome machine!

I had it serviced once but now it is back to skipping stitches, even though I try to match the needle size with the type of fabric.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:56 pm
gande wrote:
Are you scared to mess up? What do you do if a client complains or doesnt like the results?

Yes! I work from home so it's literally my biggest fear that my toddler will take scissors to some expensive item I'm working on! But also, it is stressful when something isn't coming out how I want it to. I also worry that someone will be upset with my work and instead of telling me, they will just spread it around that they were unhappy. It's hard to separate personal and business matters.
Not often, but occasionally someone will come back and I'll do my best to tweak the alterations. I actively work on being confident with my work, stand my ground on pricing etc.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:58 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I had it serviced once but now it is back to skipping stitches, even though I try to match the needle size with the type of fabric.

Check that your bobbin is wound evenly.

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:00 pm
Iymnok wrote:
What’s the most fulfilling job you’ve gotten?

B"H I feel lucky to get a few kallahs who needed work on their vort or lechaim outfits. That's a lot of fun!

amother
Beige

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:04 pm
Iymnok wrote:
What’s your best erev Yom Tov story?
How many calls do you get erev shabbos for "emergencies"?

Ring, ring (1 1/2 hours til Rosh Hashanah..)
Hello?
Hi, can you just add some fabric to the bottom of my skirt before yontif? It's easy.
Um...sorry, not before yt. I can do it for Shabbos.
Never mind.

Seriously? Even if I wasn't a frum woman also making yontif, who works on such short notice?
And as a side note, being apologetic can work wonders. "I'm so sorry, I know it's crazy close to yontif. Any chance you'd be able to ____?"

invisiblecircus

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 5:26 pm
What's your least favourite task?

Do you do only alteratons or do you also make items from scratch?

Is it common that customers don't understand the time involved? (I have considered becoming a seamstress and this s probably the biggest reason I decided against it.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics