Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Can I cancel previous owner's magazine subscription?

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:38 pm
We moved into our home about 8 months ago. Most of the old owner's mail is being forwarded to his new address, but magazines still come to us.
We get magazines with totally non tznius material in it. I am constantly worried that my kids will get to the mail before I sort it out..
Well today, oh my gosh, I am so thankful that I was the first to see the magazine with 98% naked woman on front. If my kids would've seen it, I'd be fuming mad. Well actually I am fuming mad, but at least they didn't see it. I know we don't live in a bubble and at some point they may be exposed to not tznius pictures, but this was IN MY HOUSE, AND ALMOST FULLY NAKED!!!!!!
Anyway, what do I need to do at this point? Can I call magazine and say those people don't live at this address? Or do I contact owner and tell him to update his new address by all his magazine subscriptions?

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:42 pm
That's horrible. If I were you I'd call the magazine and tell them to stop sending to this address. It's not your job to tie up the last person's mail issues and this is effecting you in a negative way.

pesek zman

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:44 pm
Playboy comes wrapped in plastic, so your family wouldn’t see. What other magazine could be so terrible? Cosmo?

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:44 pm
If you see the post delivery person, you can tell him or her that it isn't yours and you don't want it.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:46 pm
pesek zman wrote:
Playboy comes wrapped in plastic, so your family wouldn’t see. What other magazine could be so terrible? Cosmo?

All kinds of sports and fitness magazines have bathing suit women. I had that happen once and I called and told them not to send.

amother
Brown

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:46 pm
of course you can call the magazines. Or the former owner of your house. its just unfortunate that you need to spend time doing so. Whether the magazine people will be able to help - or if the former owner will bother to do anything.. Unknown.

trixx

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:47 pm
Just call the magazine and give them the subscription number written on the address label.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 10:49 pm
I would also say that I was riding the subway once with a few grandchildren and there were ads for The Museum of Zex. The kids wanted to know what it was. I just shrugged and told them that I didn't know but it must be some type of place for non-Jews.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:04 pm
amother wrote:
We moved into our home about 8 months ago. Most of the old owner's mail is being forwarded to his new address, but magazines still come to us.
We get magazines with totally non tznius material in it. I am constantly worried that my kids will get to the mail before I sort it out..
Well today, oh my gosh, I am so thankful that I was the first to see the magazine with 98% naked woman on front. If my kids would've seen it, I'd be fuming mad. Well actually I am fuming mad, but at least they didn't see it. I know we don't live in a bubble and at some point they may be exposed to not tznius pictures, but this was IN MY HOUSE, AND ALMOST FULLY NAKED!!!!!!
Anyway, what do I need to do at this point? Can I call magazine and say those people don't live at this address? Or do I contact owner and tell him to update his new address by all his magazine subscriptions?

OMG! I could have written this. Moved in only 2 months ago, got a magazine today - for sure the same one you did. I was horrified! I tried reaching out to the magazine online but they don't have any way to contact them about subscriptions unless you log in, and clearly I don't have the prior owner's log-in info. I need these magazines to stop!

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:13 pm
pesek zman wrote:

Rolling Stone

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:17 pm
southernbubby wrote:
All kinds of sports and fitness magazines have bathing suit women. I had that happen once and I called and told them not to send.

Let's just say I wish it would've been a pic of a woman in a bathing suit, that way if my kids would see it, at least I'd be able to tell them it's a magazine from a store that sells bathing suits!
IThe magazine that came today is from a store that sells birthday suits! shock

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:21 pm
amother wrote:
of course you can call the magazines. Or the former owner of your house. its just unfortunate that you need to spend time doing so. Whether the magazine people will be able to help - or if the former owner will bother to do anything.. Unknown.

I will try to contact magazine. I'm embarrassed to contact previous owner, since it's a frum ( Sad ) family, and they will feel very uncomfortable.

amother
Pink

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:30 pm
amother wrote:
OMG! I could have written this. Moved in only 2 months ago, got a magazine today - for sure the same one you did. I was horrified! I tried reaching out to the magazine online but they don't have any way to contact them about subscriptions unless you log in, and clearly I don't have the prior owner's log-in info. I need these magazines to stop!

Rolling Stone??
I am even embarrassed of the mail carrier embarrassed

amother
Slategray

Post Tue, Nov 06 2018, 11:34 pm
southernbubby wrote:
I would also say that I was riding the subway once with a few grandchildren and there were ads for The Museum of Zex. The kids wanted to know what it was. I just shrugged and told them that I didn't know but it must be some type of place for non-Jews.

I hope no one was on the subway to hear you. Telling kids that all that dirty s@x stuff is only for nonJews? How would you feel if a nonJew said that about Jews?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:27 am
amother wrote:
I hope no one was on the subway to hear you. Telling kids that all that dirty s@x stuff is only for nonJews? How would you feel if a nonJew said that about Jews?

That portion of the train was empty except for our family. I also didn't say it loudly enough to be heard even if someone would have been in earshot.

amother
Pumpkin

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:43 am
amother wrote:
Rolling Stone??
I am even embarrassed of the mail carrier embarrassed

Yup, same magazine came to me with the prior owner's name on the label. I asked the owner to forward his mail with the post office months ago, apparently the post office doesn't forward magazines after about 60 days...

I threw it in the dumpster right away. I don't want that in my house!

OP, if you get anywhere with Rolling Stone magazine please let me know. I would love to get this to stop coming to my home.

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:00 pm
amother wrote:
Yup, same magazine came to me with the prior owner's name on the label. I asked the owner to forward his mail with the post office months ago, apparently the post office doesn't forward magazines after about 60 days...

I threw it in the dumpster right away. I don't want that in my house!

OP, if you get anywhere with Rolling Stone magazine please let me know. I would love to get this to stop coming to my home.

Thanks for posting, as you reminded me to try to cancel it today...
I did a Google search to find their number 1800-283-1549
I spoke to a customer service representative and gave her the account number that is written above the name on the magazine ( I took a picture of it before promptly disposing of the magazine last night).
She said she is cancelling the subscription, but since the labels are pre-printed, I will still be getting December's issue. Let's hope she really cancelled it and that next months issue won't make it into my kids hands Mad

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:06 pm
amother wrote:
Rolling Stone

Zoe Kravitz?

Look on the bright side, she identifies as Jewish (although halachically, she's not).

And wow, does she look exactly like her mother!

amother
Pink

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Zoe Kravitz?

Look on the bright side, she identifies as Jewish (although halachically, she's not).

And wow, does she look exactly like her mother!

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
If you'd like, you can have the copy I got, but you'll have to dig it out of the garbage dump first.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics