Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much for a family of three per month?
Previous  1  2  3  4

A_Mother_First

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:32 pm
amother wrote:
You shop for clothing twice a year???

Before you know it I’ll start shopping for the summer... (I tend to stager purchases so it’s not all at one).

Consider buying clothing at the end of each season for the next one. You can save $$$ this way. I know that with a baby you cannot always predict what size would be needed, but you can approximate.

Over the years, I had always bought my kids coats at the end of the winter for the next one. I try to do the same for myself too. A down Parka that is $100 - $200 in season can be reduced to as low as $50 or less in Jan/ Feb.

Also, If you have any relatives with kids or good friends, there is no shame in using 'hand me downs' as long as they are in solid condition, not stained etc. In my family, we all rotate the children's clothing and it does help a lot. It would help you save even more bh when your family grows.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:58 pm
Switching to other thread

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:02 am
Thought I'd give some numbers to the $20,000 a month poster who can't understand how people live on $4000 a month.

We're a family of 4 in the midwest:

$1400 rent plus water plus sewer (sometimes less, sometimes more, average $1400) --- 3 bedroom house

$209 car lease

$100 car and renter's insurance

$120 two cell phones

$250 cable tv plus phone plus internet (yes it's high)

$100 electric

$90 gas

$50 life insurance

$200 tutoring for kids

$600 credit card payments usually a bit more than the minimum--- we're about $15,000 in credit card debt --- -we are about $85,000 in student loan debt but currently paying zero on an IBR plan

no tuition-- kids in public school

no health insurance-- medicaid (we don't qualify for food stamps or anything else though)

everything else goes to food and gas for the car. Mostly hand me down clothes but an occasional purchase

So our expenses are right around $4000 a month-- there ya go! Smile

amother
Yellow

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:05 am
amother wrote:
Thought I'd give some numbers to the $20,000 a month poster who can't understand how people live on $4000 a month.

$1400 rent plus water plus sewer (sometimes less, sometimes more, average $1400) --- 3 bedroom house

$209 car lease

$120 two cell phones

$100 electric

$90 gas

$50 life insurance

$200 tutoring for kids

$600 credit card payments usually a bit more than the minimum--- we're about $15,000 in credit card debt --- -we are about $85,000 in student loan debt but currently paying zero on an IBR plan

no health insurance-- medicaid (we don't qualify for food stamps or anything else though)

everything else goes to food and gas for the car. Mostly hand me down clothes but an occasional purchase

PS--- no vacations, gym, cleaning help ---- without all of that plus health insurance and tuition plus living outside of NY/NJ, it adds up to a heck of a lot less! But no savings either--- however when those credit cards get paid off we'll be able to start paying down those student loans AND save.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:39 am
amother wrote:
Wow!! Good for you for being able to afford 20k a month . May I ask what you and your husband do for a living ?

I am sahm. Dh in business.

amother
Peach

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 6:42 am
amother wrote:

$209 car lease

$120 two cell phones

$100 electric

$90 gas

$50 life insurance

$200 tutoring for kids

What about clothes for you and dh? What about Chanukah gifts? What about school supplies? Outings? Ice cream? Dentist? Toys? Books?

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 9:45 pm
amother wrote:
What about clothes for you and dh? What about Chanukah gifts? What about school supplies? Outings? Ice cream? Dentist? Toys? Books?

Clothes: VERY rarely spend. Maybe $300 a year total for clothing --- hand me downs, keep clothing a long time--- some years only replacing undies and bras and not buying any clothing.

Channukah gifts: Spend a little--- usually under $100 for both kids and we get about that much as a gift from my father in law so that evens out. Smile

School supplies: $100 or so once a year

Outings and ice cream: we average about $20 a month I'd say.

Dentist: kids are free on medicaid. Hubby and I pay just for cleaning (cavities are rare) and we put that on one of the credit cards we're paying down.

Toys: hand me downs, mostly, and the kids are getting older now--- less toys, more books and ipad apps. Smile

Books: library mostly. But I purchase average 1-2 books a month -- maybe $10 a month on books.

So for all of that, another $1000 a year or so.

amother
Gray

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:58 pm
I live in Brooklyn and my rent alone is $2,300 plus another $275 for utilities. Car insurance is $350 per month plus $300 for car...
We have one toddler and don't spend a lot but the cost is way more than $4000!!!! shock
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics