Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
I love good food I didn’t make, don't AMA -- discuss!

SixOfWands

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:45 am
Spinoff of another thread:

[quote=”amother”]I think reserve cut isn’t that good. I prefer mikes bistro anyways[/quote]

[quote=”mom3b2c”]And I love abigaels which is way cheaper then both and tastes much better. (To me)[/quote]

[quote=”tigerwife”]Lol! And I love Le Marais where I can get steak et frites for $20, get a great cocktail and enjoy a Manhattan ambiance. And I’ve been to the other three!

Maybe we should start a new thread about restaurants 😆 I love good food I didn’t make, AMA?[/quote]

That's to start us off. I'll chime in later.

Tzutzie

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:52 am
Haha.
This reminds me of when I served my cleaning lady lunch on a Friday and the kugel was just out of the oven and so I served her a slice....
The next week she asked to have lunch when the kugel is ready Smile then she told me that she loves to eat but not to cook.
Somehow it make me Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 10:56 am
Ooooh, I LOOVE food I didn't make!

We budget for going out to eat a couple times a year. And it feeds me for months!! My DH is just like great, food! But I think I look at my server the way I look at the anastheiologist (SP?!) when I get an epidural! Borderline true love, me thinks! Oh, the bliss of getting served hot food in a nice atmosphere! I get SO ticked off when ppl bring their infants to nice sit-down restaurants. I came to get away from the crying! I do NOT want to hear your baby! Anyways, yah, great thread!

amother
Hotpink

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:00 am
My daughter used to not eat what she would make, so I told her that while I love her help and her cooking, but if she's not going to eat it, I'd rather how not make anything. She was not trying to get away with not helping, it was all voluntary. Now she's not like that anyway.

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:01 am
For me the best part is not having to clean up. Even if the food isn't great, I feel spoiled by just being able to walk away from the table, not to have to worry about the dishes or the leftovers, and come home to a semi-clean kitchen (depending on how much the kids messed it up when we were out!). We don't take our kids out to eat, so going out is special date time for my and DH.

amother
Taupe

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:30 am
When we were in high school, my brother and I decided that the best birthday present we could get our mother wasn't a thing but to give her a week off from making Shabbos. Her birthday happened to fall out during our winter break, so we had plenty of time to plan things out and cook. Our mother was so touched and a little bit nervous. The first year she planned the menu herself with items she thought we'd be able to make with our limited experience. She had to do the grocery shopping because we were too young to drive and she stayed in the living room reading a book but within earshot so she could answer our myriad of questions. The next year we planned everything ourselves and kicked her off the main floor while we were cooking so it would be a complete surprise. My mom said that we could have served PB&J sandwiches and she would have been thrilled not to have to do the meal planning, the shopping and the cooking, but that our efforts surpassed her wildest dreams. Of course we also did all the serving and clean up. It was like taking a vacation while still being able to sleep in her own bed.

My husband started doing the same for me a few years ago. I'm not big on gifts because I don't usually want/need anything. I guess my love language is more acts of service, so having DH plan a special menu and doing the cooking is just amazing. Our kids get involved with decorations and costumes and fancy menus rather than "helping" with the cooking at this point. It's the best birthday present ever! We go out to eat to celebrate our anniversary though.

Fox

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:09 pm
This is just one more example of how Six and I are pretty much the same person except for politics. Actually, someone asked me that once -- I guess she thought I'd made up another account to argue with myself.

I hate to cook, and I don't like to eat anything I've made. If I somehow became fabulously wealthy, the only detail of my life I would change is to have my meals delivered every day and have someone clean up the kitchen.

Years ago, I read an human interest article about a couple who built a retirement home in the Southwest. They'd raised a large family, and the wife insisted the home be built without a kitchen. They apparently installed a small fridge and microwave, but that was it!

Of course, everyone told them how stupid this was because it would lessen the resale value of the home. You can guess where this is going, can't you? When they were ready to sell the house, they had buyers bidding against one another. Apparently there were quite a few people who didn't want to have to cook!

keym

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:15 pm
I love two parts.
1) the food that I didn't make.
2) eating without littler people asking to taste, to smell, to look, to breathe.
So buying takeout isn't special for me.
But going out, even to a bagel or burger place, without the kids. Aah sheer heaven.

sequoia

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:18 pm
Heh heh I’m the opposite. I hate food I didn’t cook. It’s just for socializing purposes that I will go to a restaurant/cafe.

What I’d love to outsource is everything else! Except cooking Smile

Disclaimer: I don’t have kids and no one’s ever demanded purple spahgetti or water with heart-shaped ice cubes from me.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:31 pm
I'm always saying that I wish someone else would make all these gourmet recipes found in the frum magazines for me.

amother
Magenta

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:34 pm
I don't enjoy food that I cook even though I'm a good cook, or so they tell me. problem is I don't like fancy restaurant food and I'm a picky eater so I don't love eating out either. Rolling Eyes

mommy3b2c

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:38 pm
I looooooove eating food that I didn’t make!!! Even if it’s baked chicken and potatoes that my mom sent over to give me a break.
And I absolutely love going out to eat. I love to order tons of different foods so I can sample everything.
But here’s the weird thing about me. I rarely eat dessert.
I’ll pound the steak and mashed potatoes but by dessert time I’m full and I’m just done.

Oh, and I love your thread title. It keeps making me giggle.

Last edited by mommy3b2c on Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:38 pm; edited 1 time in total

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:38 pm
I think my cooking is better than any restaurant. If I could have endless money I'd have someone to wash the dishes and do prep work

bigsis144

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 12:48 pm
I’m an awesome cook and I love to eat the food I make - most of the time.

But especially when it comes to healthy food, I wish I had someone else to cook for me! I will be totally full and satisfied on delicious veggie soups and salads and roasted vegetables from a buffet or as a guest, but if I’m cooking for myself washing and checking and chopping and cooking is (kvetchy voice) so much woooork 😩

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:14 pm
When I’m pregnant and suffering from morning sickness I can only handle eating food someone else made. It’s weitd! I remember being so nauseous, couldn’t eat (or smell) a thing, but falling all over my sister in laws yabchik, meaty and greasy, and eating tons of it.
Anyone else out there experience this?
I’ve learned to spend money on buying takeout food for myself during that period otherwise I’d starve and not have enough energy to take care of my kids. When I feel better this passes.

ectomorph

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:18 pm
amother wrote:
When I’m pregnant and suffering from morning sickness I can only handle eating food someone else made. It’s weitd! I remember being so nauseous, couldn’t eat (or smell) a thing, but falling all over my sister in laws yabchik, meaty and greasy, and eating tons of it.
Anyone else out there experience this?
I’ve learned to spend money on buying takeout food for myself during that period otherwise I’d starve and not have enough energy to take care of my kids. When I feel better this passes.
yup. Only when pregnant. Very hard because not much takeout in my community.

amother
Sapphire

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:45 pm
omg amother brown! yes! I am so weird when I'm pregnant!

amother
Red

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:09 am
When I win the mega billions lottery, I’m hiring a personal chef first thing, even before a financial planner and tax lawyer.

grace413

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:30 am
Love eating in restaurants.

Just spent a few weeks visiting my mother and loved buying yummy takeout for Shabbat.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics