Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Pico-Robertson

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:30 pm
I would love some information about the Pico-Robertson area. Considering a move to LA for my job. We are dati leumi (I would say left wing modern orthodox by US standards), DH is Israeli, I'm American-Israeli but we have lived in Israel for 10 years. I partially cover my hair and usually wear skirts. We place a very high value on secular education. Strong schools would be extremely important to us. We would like to be in a very welcoming and social community-- we like to frequently have guests for Shabbat. We have children under 8 and would like friends in the neighborhood for them to play with. Does it sound like we would fit in? Any other areas in LA to consider? We would rent at first with a budget of up to $6k a month for a 3 bedroom.

amother
Cerulean

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:34 pm
Sounds perfect ...it's a wonderful community and you can send your kids to Hillel...very academic school

amother
Slateblue

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:35 pm
Yes you would fit in!!!
I'm out of LA for a decade, so I don't know the housing prices, but yes, very friendly and warm, inviting people, open-minded...
The school will be a drive unless you go to Hillel, which is very very MO. (Not sure where you'd fit in best- sounds like hillel, maimonides, or yavne

amother
Vermilion

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:43 pm
I love the community there and wish I could live there ( we had to move) . Check out bnai David Judea- such a warm, friendly shul with great children’s programming and a strong emphasis on Israel. You will probably want to look at Hillel or Maimonides for schools. You can definitely get a nice three bedroom apartment for less than $6k ( probably around $4k) and probably a house or duplex.

tichellady

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 9:56 pm
Feel free to pm me

amother
Aubergine

Post Wed, Nov 07 2018, 11:46 pm
Sounds like you would fit right in Smile
The community here is really wonderful!

amother
Mistyrose

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 3:21 am
I am more yeshivish but have friends from lots of different hashkafas so wanted to chime in...
Your budget is fine for an apartment (3 BR is 3-4500 depending on how nice) and more could get you duplex. Renting a house could be more...
Note that tuition is much higher than in Israel and you need a car. Maybe 2. Did you budget that in?
MO schools would be Maimonides, Yavneh, and maybe Hillel. Hillel is left of the Dati crowd I know...
Lots of shuls so it depends on where you live exactly and your preferences. Beth Jacob, YICC, Pico Shul... Not too familiar with all the more MO shul options as I go to a more Yeshivish place. But I know there are a lot out there... We found a place we liked and stuck to it!
But Pico is a warm welcoming large and diverse community! You have everyone from MO to chassidish, Sephardim and Ashkenazim, Chabad, Yeshivish Kollel types and everywhere in between. And we have friends and neighbors who are as diverse!

Have you checked out the valley? Emek is a good school there that might be good for you. Valley is a nice area too...(The La Brea side is more Yeshivish overall).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating