Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Toddler nosepicking... How to make it stop?

amother
Hotpink

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 1:04 am
Anyone successfully able to get their 2-3 year old to stop picking their noses? Besides for the yuck factor and the spread of colds etc, my toddler has nosebleeds which the doctor says is caused by nosepicking.

Tips would be greatly appreciated!

Gw3

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:24 pm
I had the same problem with my 5 year old last winter. The dr said he kept picking because it was scabbed and bothering him. I was told to push a fingerful of vaseline into each nostril (not with a q-tip) and then gently squeeze his nose with a tissue to spread it around and squeeze out the excess. Maximum 3x a day. I did it twice a day and after about 2-3 weeks he stopped picking at it and the nosebleeds stopped

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:47 pm
So everytime I see that I have my kids wash their hands. Also, my nephew went through a phase like this and my SIL had him wear gloves at home.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:54 pm
It can be a sign of pinworms, so treating that can help.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
It can be a sign of pinworms, so treating that can help.

Picking your nose?

LeahRivka

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:16 pm
I see it all the time in my toddler class. Boys and girls. I think it can be just part of them finding new things about themselves. Not to be gross but, boogers.

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 8:58 pm
LeahRivka wrote:
I see it all the time in my toddler class. Boys and girls. I think it can be just part of them finding new things about themselves. Not to be gross but, boogers.

I think the only way to make it stop is to just wait until they outgrow it. Eventually one of their classmates will say "Ewwwww, you pick your nose! Gross!" and the peer pressure will take care of the rest.

amother
Mint

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 10:45 pm
Every single child & many adults picks their nose. You can't make it stop. One of my dd's would pick her nose in bed & smear the findings on the wall Puke Puke. She was punished every time she did it, till she learnt to take a tissue!

sushilover

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 11:14 pm
Treat it like any hygiene issue. Focusing on the gross factor will just make a toddler more interested instead of less. Be very matter of fact about it.

Direct your child to the bathroom, and say, "we take care of our body in the bathroom". Also make him wash his hands with soap every time you catch him. Hopefully, it soon won't be worth the effort and he'll start using a tissue.

amother
Tan

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 1:02 am
FranticFrummie wrote:
I think the only way to make it stop is to just wait until they outgrow it. Eventually one of their classmates will say "Ewwwww, you pick your nose! Gross!" and the peer pressure will take care of the rest.

Not true. I still pick my nose and do NOT know what to do about it. I had peer pressure, it bothers me physically and emotionally, but I do it anyway. I wish I can help myself change this Gross habit. I NEVER outgrew it.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 2:57 am
FranticFrummie wrote:

And then, at some point their classmates learn about tact.
After that, nose picking will go on forever.
When we finished high school one of my classmates was still doing it. It so disgusted me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics