Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Instagram Models
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Babypink

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:43 am
amother wrote:
and I've been thinking about saving up for a nose job. Sad

I had one (broken nose) and it didn’t improve my life in any way except ease my breathing LOL You’re fine just the way you are! (Though I do have to say that I no longer avoid taking pictures in profile. But that’s it.)

NovelConcept

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:04 am
amother wrote:
Which TED talk? The one about Wait But Why or about "Inside the Head of a Master Procrastinator?"

I think there is only one, the one about procrastination. As a Master Procrastinator, it really hit home. Very Happy

urban gypsy

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:20 am
I have never understood these complaints about social media content. I use Twitter and Instagram and I love them, the information I get there adds so much to my life. It's all about who you choose to follow. There are so many informative, inspiring, and uplifting accounts. Just follow good accounts! And if they start annoying you, be ruthless about unfollowing! And then your feed will be filled with wonderful content that is good for you. Simple. Why do people care so much about the materialistic narcissistic accounts? Just don't follow them!

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 5:00 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
I have never understood these complaints about social media content. I use Twitter and Instagram and I love them, the information I get there adds so much to my life. It's all about who you choose to follow. There are so many informative, inspiring, and uplifting accounts. Just follow good accounts! And if they start annoying you, be ruthless about unfollowing! And then your feed will be filled with wonderful content that is good for you. Simple. Why do people care so much about the materialistic narcissistic accounts? Just don't follow them!

I don't think you've been following along. To wit, we've said in this thread so far that the reason they're so pervasive is because:

1) They are our family and friends.
2) Even the good content has fallen prey to marketing schemes where cooking content has been invaded by clothing and giveaways and makeup and shopping.
3) Explain what you honestly think is "wonderful content" on Instagram?
4) The thread was started because we didn't understand how Jewish women are aspiring to become models in such a way to invite jealousy, etc.

Ruchel

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 12:56 pm
I don't like the "throw it away if it doesn't make you happy" because as a grown up it makes no sense. But for stuff like instagram it does.

amother
Lime

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 2:05 pm
NovelConcept wrote:
I think there is only one, the one about procrastination. As a Master Procrastinator, it really hit home. Very Happy

Funny procrastination article:

https://local.theonion.com/man.....67237

little neshamala

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 7:37 pm
amother wrote:
Look, I'm usually a "live and let live" kind of person. I'm decently pretty, my life is baruch Hashem wonderful, and everyone has their own path.

That being said, my instagram feed has gotten so bad that I'm thinking I have no choice but to remove it. I have a lot of beautiful relatives, and it seems that all of them spend their days modelling and using filters and looking coquettishly into a camera. It's all, "Outfit of the Day!" against a brick wall, "new makeup product" with kissy lips, here's my new wig, today I'm getting my makeup done, and just an endless promotion of ME ME ME.

I don't get it.

Don't tell me "low self-esteem". Their self-esteem is great. They're married, they're wealthy, they have everything they could want. Why on earth are they obsessed with themselves all the time? Why are more women jumping on this? Anyone remotely pretty suddenly has a feed all about their outfit choices and their dress they wore to this wedding, and whatever. Is it that they're bored with their husbands they need endless male attention? Or any attention? Is this the destiny of anyone pretty - to become obsessed with their own self? It sure seems like it.

To those of you who start railing about tznius - I don't care about tznius. I believe women should look beautiful and attractive, and if that means you wear tight dresses and short skirts and long wigs, go live your life. I just care about what seems to be utter narcissism.

And another thing - I know some women like this sort of thing, but for the life of me, I can't understand why women post stories about all their thoughts and feelings for the day. I roll my eyes and tell them, "NOBODY CARES", as if they can hear me through my screen. And then they screenshot any woman who private messages them a "thank you, that was so beautiful I love you so much!" to show the world their validation.

Ugh.

Omgggg ha ha haa yes this! This makes me want to puke.

Also. Why is everyone "loving" everything???

Like, all of a sudden its nerdy to say "I love meatballs and spaghetti" or "I love this pony shaitel by Milano" or "I absolutely LOVE this chocolate rum milkshake!" Oh no no thats a total faux pas! Now youre only allowed to say "loving this meatballs and spaghetti" and "loving this milano pony wig!!!"and "absolutely LOVING this chocolate rum milk shake".

So weird

NovelConcept

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 7:50 pm
amother wrote:
Funny procrastination article:

https://local.theonion.com/man.....67237

Sorry Lime, I don't go for the Onion. I prefer humor with brains, not humor without.

dancingqueen

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 8:13 pm
Instagram models who get enough followers (influencers) can make a lot of money promoting items. It’s a business for them, plus they probably like the attention. Just unfollow if it’s annoying.

amother
Pearl

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 10:29 pm
I don't do social media, period, unless imamother counts. Making my personal life public holds no charm for me, and I was taught that showing off is not nice. Partly because it's not a good character trait and partly because it makes people feel bad who don't have what you have, whether it's brains, money, looks, talent, family, or whatever. Even organizing websites in which the site owner shows you each week a different new nifty closet reno she did, get old really fast.

I don't like showoffs and avoid their company IRL--why would I torture myself by voluntarily following them online?

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:01 am
amother wrote:
I don't think you've been following along. To wit, we've said in this thread so far that the reason they're so pervasive is because:

1) They are our family and friends.
2) Even the good content has fallen prey to marketing schemes where cooking content has been invaded by clothing and giveaways and makeup and shopping.
3) Explain what you honestly think is "wonderful content" on Instagram?
4) The thread was started because we didn't understand how Jewish women are aspiring to become models in such a way to invite jealousy, etc.

I'm following along. And I think it's a fool's errand to wish that an entire media platform should be altered to fit your needs. If you don't like what Instagram has become, find a different platform or start your own. Stop moaning and whining, it's pathetic and changes nothing.

There are frum women on Instagram who dress and behave in ways that are shocking to me. Guess what I do about it? Unfollow them. You aren't their target audience anyway, so they won't miss you when you're gone. If they are your family and friends, then you can mute them so they don't get offended that you unfollowed.

The wonderful content I'm referring to is accounts about body positivity, intuitive eating, history, humour, art, budgeting, recipes and many more. Get out of your frum internet bubble and search out accounts that add something good to your life, broaden your perspective, and teach you something. What do you use Instagram for anyway???

amother
Crimson

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:42 am
I don’t understand it either. What makes people want to share everything they do on Instagram? Why do they think people care? And what makes people want to follow them (they do get lots of followers)? Maybe I’m just too old to understand this Smile

mandr

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 12:06 pm
urban gypsy wrote:
.....There are frum women on Instagram who dress and behave in ways that are shocking to me. Guess what I do about it? Unfollow them. You aren't their target audience anyway, so they won't miss you when you're gone. If they are your family and friends, then you can mute them so they don't get offended that you unfollowed.

The wonderful content I'm referring to is accounts about body positivity, intuitive eating, history, humour, art, budgeting, recipes and many more. Get out of your frum internet bubble and search out accounts that add something good to your life, broaden your perspective, and teach you something. What do you use Instagram for anyway???

Lol body positivity. Aka body rationality.

Intuitive eating? The biggest joke!

Etc.

Honestly I just use Instagram for my business portfolio but I agree with everyone that 99% of it is utter worthlessness.

Last edited by mandr on Mon, Nov 12 2018, 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total

urban gypsy

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 12:08 pm
mandr wrote:
Lol body positivity. Aka body rationality.

Hey, I don't make the hashtags. If I would have said body rationality or body realism you would have gotten zero hits in a search Rolling Eyes

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 3:46 pm
I don’t find instagram fake. It’s just people sharing their best moments.
I don’t share when I have a fight with a friend but I will share when I go out with friends
I won’t share my daughters tantrum but I share her happy moments first day of school etc
I don’t consider it fake. It’s silly to think someone’s life is completely perfect, no one shares everything on Instagram ...

zaq

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 4:13 pm
Here's what I can't figure out: Why do people take online posts seriously and assume that they reflect the sum totality of people's lives? If you look through a friend's photo album (The old fashioned hard-copy printed-snapshot kind) and your friend is smart enough to choose only the best shots, you don't sit there getting depressed because she's so pretty and put together and has a perfect life. You know she selected the best shots, and why would she do otherwise? Who wants bad shots in an album?

So why do people lose all common sense online and forget that what people post is carefully selected to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative? The envy and depression, debilitating and sometimes life-threatening, that behavioral scientists say is linked to social-media addiction, is absurd. You KNOW people are choosing the best of the best and presenting it in the best possible light, so why are you allowing yourself to get sucked into the slough of despond because your life isn't as perfect as someone else is trying to make you believe theirs is?

I recently read a hilarious book (don't ask me the title, I never remember these things unless it's Jane Austen) in which a young woman going through a normal hard time (job hunting, dieting, roommate search, boyfriend breakup, etc.) tries valiantly to make her online self seem like the glamorous and successful self she would like to be but isn't. In a book it was insanely funny; IRL it's just insanely sad.

amother
Blue

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 10:52 pm
amother wrote:
I don’t share when I have a fight with a friend but I will share when I go out with friends
I won’t share my daughters tantrum but I share her happy moments first day of school etc
I don’t consider it fake. It’s silly to think someone’s life is completely perfect, no one shares everything on Instagram ...

Here's a clip I just found of one women who tested out the "fake" theory of Instagram. Yeah, it's fake. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/wo.....-week

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:50 pm
amother wrote:
Here's a clip I just found of one women who tested out the "fake" theory of Instagram. Yeah, it's fake. https://www.bbc.com/news/av/wo.....-week

There are also ppl who fake perfection in real life. That doesn’t make everyone fake. Same goes for Instagram.. for the most part it’s ppl sharing their best moments.

amother
Turquoise

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 11:53 pm
amother wrote:

Just curious, would your daughter actually want her first day of school plastered on the internet for all the world to see?

Does anyone actually care to see you having fun with your friends? What is the point exactly, to show people "I know how to have fun"? "I have friends"? Just trying to understand.

I don't know, whenever I see these cute pictures of kids, I imagine some creepy pervert j-ing off to such a picture and it makes me sick to think of it.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 12:19 am
amother wrote:
Just curious, would your daughter actually want her first day of school plastered on the internet for all the world to see?

Does anyone actually care to see you having fun with your friends? What is the point exactly, to show people "I know how to have fun"? "I have friends"? Just trying to understand.

I don't know, whenever I see these cute pictures of kids, I imagine some creepy pervert j-ing off to such a picture and it makes me sick to think of it.

Oh I have a private account .. only friends and family and some friends of friends. I would never make my page public ..
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics