Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
No bris for gay couple’s baby after all?
1  2  3  4  Next

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:04 pm
According to this article, the report that there was a bris/naming ceremony going on at tree of life at the time of the shooting is false.

So, for those who said that was the cause of the shooting, now what?

https://www.vosizneias.com/309.....0xDpU

Last edited by Ema of 5 on Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:06 pm; edited 1 time in total

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:06 pm
My friends Rabbi went down for a visit after and was told the Brit story was false...

It makes sense because there was no mention of baby’s in any account. Also, this wasn’t exactly a young congregation.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:07 pm
It definitely makes sense to me. I’m just wondering, for those who said this was the cause (both here, and rabbis who have said it) what is their response now?

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:09 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
According to this article, the report that there was a bris/naming ceremony going on at tree of life at the time of the shooting is false.

So, for those who said that was the cause of the shooting, now what?

https://www.vosizneias.com/309.....0xDpU

I’d rather not tell you my opinion of those who said it was the cause of the shooting. Let’s just say they were wrong and leave it at that.

browser

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:11 pm
So strange
How did the story originate

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:18 pm
the story originated from a facebook post that was edited a few hours later. A pro lgbt site picked it up and printed the story.

I was skeptical it was true.

I hope those ppl who claimed it was the cause of the shooting, take a minyan to the murdered's graves and ask them for mechilah.

doctorima

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:51 pm
I believe it was widely reported that day in the secular media that the attack took place during a baby naming ceremony (see e.g. https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7002/).

Obviously, that could be a baby naming for a daughter, which some make a ceremony to honor, but it could also be a bris, where the name is given (although then they could have called it a circumcision ceremony instead of a baby naming). The identity and gender of the baby's parents is a completely different issue, but there are respectable sources that mentioned the general concept.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:45 pm
doctorima wrote:
I believe it was widely reported that day in the secular media that the attack took place during a baby naming ceremony (see e.g. https://www.usatoday.com/story.....7002/).

Obviously, that could be a baby naming for a daughter, which some make a ceremony to honor, but it could also be a bris, where the name is given (although then they could have called it a circumcision ceremony instead of a baby naming). The identity and gender of the baby's parents is a completely different issue, but there are respectable sources that mentioned the general concept.

I was skeptical. The congregation is clearly elderly. The youngest victims were in their 50s.

Sebastian

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:49 pm
Lots of news sites said it but it was all based on the edited Facebook post

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:09 pm
I want to know where are those people now, the ones who said it was a sign because the couple was gay.

amother
Mustard

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:44 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I want to know where are those people now, the ones who said it was a sign because the couple was gay.

I don't think there were that many who claimed direct causation. As in, They were gay so they were shot. I think there was some debate in general terms how we should feel when a tragedy happens to someone who is anti hashem and anti torah. It ultimately didn't apply in this tragedy.

Ema of 5

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:
I don't think there were that many who claimed direct causation. As in, They were gay so they were shot. I think there was some debate in general terms how we should feel when a tragedy happens to someone who is anti hashem and anti torah. It ultimately didn't apply in this tragedy.

I actually do remember one person here saying such a thing, but I think it was only one person. I’m curious to know if any of He rabbis who said terrible things will make an apology....

Mommyg8

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 11:36 pm
eema of 3 wrote:
I actually do remember one person here saying such a thing, but I think it was only one person. I’m curious to know if any of He rabbis who said terrible things will make an apology....

I keep hearing this phrase about Rabbis who said terrible things. I'm waiting for someone to come up with the name of one Rabbi. Just one.

I posted here on imamother excerpts from a beautiful/sad article I read in the Yated. The Yated is as RW as is possible to get...

amother
Olive

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:10 am
Mommyg8 wrote:
I keep hearing this phrase about Rabbis who said terrible things. I'm waiting for someone to come up with the name of one Rabbi. Just one.

I posted here on imamother excerpts from a beautiful/sad article I read in the Yated. The Yated is as RW as is possible to get...

Rabbi Aderet and Rabbi Mizrahi. There was a third one I saw, but I can't remember his name.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:12 am
People have it all wrong. When tragedies happen, the appropriate response is neithet to blame the victims nor to speculate as to why it happened to them.
Appropriate responses (after calling 911 and offering aid if one happens to be in the area) include:

—praying for victims, survivors, and the world in general
—sending aid or giving charity
—looking inside oneself for things that can be improved
—taking positive action of some sort, whether political, material, or social, to try to prevent recurrence.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:15 am
Odd title. There was no gay couple and they didn’t have a baby. Your title makes it sound as if the ceremony was interrupted by the shooting so the Bris didn’t happen and the kid is still looking for a mohel.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:20 am
zaq wrote:
People have it all wrong. When tragedies happen, the appropriate response is neithet to blame the victims nor to speculate as to why it happened to them.
Appropriate responses (after calling 911 and offering aid if one happens to be in the area) include:

—praying for victims, survivors, and the world in general
—sending aid or giving charity
—looking inside oneself for things that can be improved
—taking positive action of some sort, whether political, material, or social, to try to prevent recurrence.

I agree with everything you said. However......I don't think it's crazy to have mixed feelings when a tragedy happens to someone who hashem considers an abomination, someone who is anti Torah and anti hashem, someone who according to our belief system is burning in gehenim. We can't have it both ways. Only hashem is allowed to be disgusted with this person and throw them into the fire? Aren't we supposed to emulate god?

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:30 am
There are BAD people in this world. Those making up this rumour on purpose; those then claiming c'v the baby had been shot. I hope Hashem punishes them for the anguish they gave many people incl. me.

amother
Indigo

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:51 am
amother wrote:
I agree with everything you said. However......I don't think it's crazy to have mixed feelings when a tragedy happens to someone who hashem considers an abomination, someone who is anti Torah and anti hashem, someone who according to our belief system is burning in gehenim. We can't have it both ways. Only hashem is allowed to be disgusted with this person and throw them into the fire? Aren't we supposed to emulate god?

You do realize that if YOU hadnt been born to a Sabbath Observing family, or are a BT who people were Mekarev, youd be no different than these people, loving, kind, warm, good people, driving to Shul on Shabbos, etc.

amother
Mustard

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 8:54 am
amother wrote:
You do realize that if YOU hadnt been born to a Sabbath Observing family, or are a BT who people were Mekarev, youd be no different than these people, loving, kind, warm, good people, driving to Shul on Shabbos, etc.

You are asking an excellent question on hashem. Why is he punishing people for living in a way that they really have no control over since they were born into that environment.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics