Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Parsha Question:

noosheen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:34 pm
Why did Rivka tell her good son, Yaakov to run away to her wicked deceptive brother Lavan?
She knew her brother could be a bad influence on him.
Anyone know?

My son asked this question & wanted to see if I could find the answer

Seas

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:39 pm
She sent him there to get a wife, and she knew that family was good breeding stock - which is why Avraham Avinu also took a DIL from that family.

noosheen

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:40 pm
Thx !!

bassarah

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 6:42 pm
It says in the Pesukim the main purpose was for Yakov to find a wife there- from Rivkahs family- as opposed to marrying the daughters of C’naan. (Just like by Yitzchok)

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:15 pm
Seas wrote:
She sent him there to get a wife, and she knew that family was good breeding stock - which is why Avraham Avinu also took a DIL from that family.

Good breeding stock? Are you insane? Both Rivka and Rachel were infertile for years. The idea was to avoid marrying Canaanites. Lavan & Co. may have been idolaters, but they had some small measure of morality. The Canaanites were so thoroughly depraved there would be no hope for anyone born of a union with them.

bassarah

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:19 pm
zaq wrote:
Good breeding stock? Are you insane? Both Rivka and Rachel were infertile for years. The idea was to avoid marrying Canaanites. Lavan & Co. may have been idolaters, but they had some small measure of morality. The Canaanites were so thoroughly depraved there would be no hope for anyone born of a union with them.

I think that’s what she meant.

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:28 pm
The pshat is that she wanted him to take a wife from within the family rather than a Canaanite, as Esav had done. I did recently come across a deeper explanation that it was tikkun for Yaakov having practiced deception. That even though it was for the right reasons, and encouraged by Rivka, it was still deception and Yaakov needed a tikkun for it.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:51 pm
bassarah wrote:

OK, for those whose first language is not English: applying the term “breeding stock” to people is crude at best, if not downright vulgar, and certainly not language one would wish to apply to the Imahos. It’s a term applied to livestock, particularly cattle, and means that they are fertile and produce strong offspring.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:59 pm
bassarah wrote:

Ok, listen up. “breeding stock” is a farming term. It means animals selected specifically for breeding, and “good breeding stock” means they are fertile, healthy and strong and have the traits the breeder is selecting for.

When applied to people, the term is crude, degrading and offensive, and certainly not appropriate to use when speaking of the Imahot.

So now you know.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics