Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Prepping Cholent in Advance
1  2  Next

luckymom1

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:50 pm
Do you think it would be ok to prep my cholent Thurs night and then just put it to cook before Shabbos? I'm trying to avoid being busy in my kitchen on friday.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:52 pm
For sure I do that every week.

luckymom1

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:53 pm
Ty!!

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 7:54 pm
(I add in the meat right before I turn on the crock pot but everything else is prepared Thursday evening)

luckymom1

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:29 pm
Oh shoots, I already put in the meat. Should I take it out?

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:34 pm
luckymom1 wrote:

I prep with the meat in and refrigerate the whole thing raw. Or you can cook it on the stove top Thursday, and refrigerate overnight and transfer to a crockpot or blech on Friday. Either way, raw or cooked, I refrigerate it all fully prepped, meat included.

chaya35

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:34 pm
I make my chulent on Thursday night in the crockpot and we eat for lunch on Friday.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:36 pm
I prepare the cholent raw Thursday niggmht but I add the water Friday when in put it on the crock pot.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:37 pm
No. I do this all the time. When I come home, I just have to put the pot on the flame, or I can leave a note for dh to put it on the flame at X o’clock.

Seas

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 8:55 pm
Mine is basically on the stove from Thursday night till Shabbos day.

ahuva06

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:00 pm
luckymom1 wrote:

Like thunderstorm said, just stick it in the fridge... I usually leave it on the counter so thats why I only add meat last minute...

amother
Ecru

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:28 pm
I prep everything Thursday night, including meat.

Last edited by amother on Thu, Jul 11 2019, 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:41 pm
luckymom1 wrote:
Do you think it would be ok to prep my cholent Thurs night and then just put it to cook before Shabbos? I'm trying to avoid being
busy in my kitchen on friday.

I prep it sometimes even on Wednesday with the meat and everything.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:53 pm
Another idea is to make cholent earlier in the week. I discovered this when I only had one frozen pack of meat that was way too much for one cholent.
I do this every other week, or you could easily do this earlier in the week. I saute onions or toss onions with oil and put in crockpot bag. Actually, I have 2 bags, side by side. After they're soft, I layer meat and barley, season, and add water. (One bag will get potatoes.)

After a few hours I take out the bag without potatoes, let it cool, freeze. The next week I let it thaw. (You can put it in the fridge Thursday night.) I don't know if you can reuse the bag so I transfer to another bag. Put in the crockpot for a few hours, once it's hat add potatoes, adjust seasonings.

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:54 pm
For those of you who cook cholent for Shabbos day starting on Thursdays night, do you have to keep adding water? Do you just cook it on low the whole time?

daagahminayin

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:55 pm
amother wrote:
I prepare the cholent raw Thursday niggmht but I add the water Friday when in put it on the crock pot.

Are the potatoes ok staying peeled and cut with no water all that time?

luckymom1

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 9:58 pm
Thanks Y'all, on behalf of my last minute madness and rushing into Shabbos Smile

chaya35

Post Thu, Nov 08 2018, 10:18 pm
daagahminayin wrote:
For those of you who cook cholent for Shabbos day starting on Thursdays night, do you have to keep adding water? Do you just cook it on low the whole time?

I start it Thursday night on #3 and on Friday afternoon I change it to #2. I usually dont have to add water and if I do it is usually just Friday morning when I wake up. I add the meat & kiska Friday morning because I find if I put the meat in Thursday night it gets too dry.

daagahminayin

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:19 am
chaya35 wrote:
I start it Thursday night on #3 and on Friday afternoon I change it to #2. I usually dont have to add water and if I do it is usually just Friday morning when I wake up. I add the meat & kiska Friday morning because I find if I put the meat in Thursday night it gets too dry.

Smart.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:15 am
daagahminayin wrote:
Are the potatoes ok staying peeled and cut with no water all that time?

I would assume they're in water, maybe separately.

On a few occasions, I made large, kiddush etc. size cholents in a turkey roaster. Those I started, fully, on Thursday night. (Especially one that was intended for Shabbos night.)
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen