Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I moved from Brooklyn to Toms River, AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 9:57 am
amother wrote:
As an old time Lakewooder, do you feel any connection to Lakewood and its yeshiva or just moved to buy a cheap nice home?

If you are an old-time Lakewooder, then your expectations are a bit unrealistic for somebody who is not.

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:32 am
amother wrote:
If you are an old-time Lakewooder, then your expectations are a bit unrealistic for somebody who is not.

Explain?

Mommyg8

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:36 am
amother wrote:
Are you bothered that Toms River is a well known cancer hub that hopefully is better but one never knows.

There's actually a book called "Toms River". You can look it up on Amazon.

naturalmom5

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:13 am
Do you have an eruv.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:17 am
amother wrote:
Do you feel like you have more of a social life out there than Brooklyn?
It is easier to make friends?
Is there more of a sense of community? Is it dependent on having a good block?
Does your husband commute to the city or Brooklyn?
How far is your shul from your house?

People are more friendly than in BP. We are all in the same boat, all newcomers, everyone is always looking to help each other out.

A bit easier being that everyone is independent and not busy going to their mother Friday nights and Shabbos afternoons.

It is a sense of a community, but it's growing really fast so not sure how much the 'oot community feel' will last.

A great Yiddish block is a bonus, but even if some blocks are 50/50, you can always go around the corner where that block is 85% Jewish.

My husband only goes in the actual location 1 or 2 times a week. He has a office in Lakewood where he gets most of the work done.

Most families including ourselves live within 10-15 min walk of 3-4 different Shuls.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:20 am
amother wrote:
Explain?

My apologies. I think I read too deeply into your question. Please disregard.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:26 am
doctorima wrote:
Did you have a hard time getting your boys and girls into schools?
How happy are you with their schools compared to where they were in Brooklyn?
Did you have friends/family in Toms River before moving?
Was there anything that surprised you, or wish you had known before moving?
What do you miss most about Brooklyn? Miss least?
How often do you go back to Brooklyn to visit?
What percent of your block/neighborhood is frum?
Other than housing costs, has your overall cost of living gone up or down?

We had just as a hard time as anyone that moves to Lakewood, Jackson or TR.

We B"H settled all out kids and they are all B"H doing very well. Just as happy as before. Not taking it for granted.

Now the school system is much easier with all the new Chadarim and Schools opening.

We had some siblings in Lakewood before we moved. Now we have more moving to Lakewood and one moving to TR.

We had no surprises, actually the only surprise is that we adapted to the peace and quiet so easily.

Miss about Brooklyn? Sad so say, but really nothing.
The traffic and parking is not missed Smile

We go in for family Simchos which is often enough to get to see everyone.

Our block is mostly Frum. (Including houses in contract)

Our cost of living has gone down. We don't go to the Catskills anymore. And that savings covers the pool maintenance, landscaping and there's still lot of extra. Cool

Besides for the mortgage which is $4000 compared to $2800 rent in Brooklyn. (Not really a cost increase, being that the house is ours the keep Iy"H)

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:30 am
amother wrote:
Do you have a Pool? Are most buying homes with pools. What effects does it have in terms of frumkeit, expense, upkeep or any other factors?

Yes, most houses do come with pools. I would same around 80%

Frumkeit? We have a 6' solid fence surrounding the pool. There are trees behind our property too.

Much much cheaper than people expect, around $1500 total for pool maintenance from Shvuos until Sukkos. (Including opening, cleaning, chemicals and closing)

Filter maybe adds on $50 to the electric bill.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:33 am
amother wrote:
Are you aware why houses in Toms River is so cheap? I did wonder. I asked and was told to Google "Toms River Cancer".

There was a lawsuit and settlement. I have heard that there was a
"clean up", but didnt see anything yet online.

It is cheap because that is the real value of the house, the From neighborhoods are expensive due to demand and people in the real estate business that take advantage.

The Lakewood development houses that cost 500k 4 years ago can be sold for 800k after the neighborhood is built up.

The cancer cluster is history, look into it again.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:35 am
amother wrote:
Were you there already all winter last year? How much did it cost you to heat the house (and how many square feet)?

Approx 4,000 sq feet.

Gas bill is approximately $250-$300 a month during December, January and February

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:39 am
amother wrote:
Are you chassidish? Are most of the people moving there originally from BP? How do the non Jewish neighbors treat you?

Mostly from Boro Park and Lakewood.

Our non Jewish neighbors are very friendly, the whole anti semitism stigma a few years ago was overplayed by the Frum media to make things exciting... They all greet us, and we have a quick chat when we meet by the corner waiting for the bus (we don't really meet them, they usually go from the house to the car, the Frum families are always going on walks on Shabbos)

One neighbor actually went around to all the Frum houses and shoveled the snow with his pickup truck and refused to take a dollar.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:41 am
professor wrote:
R u chassidish? Did u find good schools for kids? how did they adjust? How much is tuition? What do kids do after school?

Schools B"H went smoothly.
Adjustment was very Easy B"H.
Tuition is just like any school in Brooklyn. $400-$450

Kids are always going on after school playdates as was always common in Lakewood. They go to the neighbors, just like it was in Brooklyn.

In the summer, whenever me or DH are willing to watch the kids at the pool, that's all they want. Cool

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:42 am
About the pool- I have a relative in TR and though there's a fence, the neighbor can still see into the pool when they are are their deck, and for sure when they are on the second floor. I felt very uncomfortable swimming there.

Are there any schools in TR? Or is that not allowed due to zoning etc.?
Are you met with hostility over taking over their neighborhood from non-jewish neighbors?
Did you only move once you had schools for your children?

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:44 am
amother wrote:
As an old time Lakewooder, do you feel any connection to Lakewood and its yeshiva or just moved to buy a cheap nice home?

The Yeshiva, not really (as does not most of Lakewood especially south)

We are a extension of the Lakewood community.

We rely on Lakewood for schools, shopping, jobs, events etc

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:46 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Do you have an eruv.

Yes.

amother
Oak

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:46 am
Also would you say you need be a certain "type" hashkafically to fit into the TR crowd?
Or is there diversity?

amother
Tan

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
Also would you say you need be a certain "type" hashkafically to fit into the TR crowd?
Or is there diversity?

Is it mostly chassidish?

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
Is it mostly chassidish?

There are a few neighborhoods. There are also different crowds Chassidish, heimish, Flatbush crowd, Lakewood crowd.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:01 pm
amother wrote:
Or is there diversity?

Just like any Lakewood development or anywhere in BP, all shapes and sizes.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:05 pm
Would somebody 40+ with mostly teens fit in, or is it mostly younger families there.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating