Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
I moved from Brooklyn to Toms River, AMA
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:05 pm
amother wrote:
About the pool- I have a relative in TR and though there's a fence, the neighbor can still see into the pool when they are are their deck, and for sure when they are on the second floor. I felt very uncomfortable swimming there.

Are there any schools in TR? Or is that not allowed due to zoning etc.?
Are you met with hostility over taking over their neighborhood from non-jewish neighbors?
Did you only move once you had schools for your children?

That's their problem, they need to add a privacy fence closer to the pool.

Anyone can peek into your house if they walk by the driveway. If a neighbor is climbing on the top of the bathtub to look at your pool, they have issues.

You can look in to the pool at bungalow colonies during ladies hours too...

Neighbors are all nice and friendly.

Only once have I had someone honk as they passed me walking with DH. Didn't seem scary at all.

Yes, we only moved once our kids were accepted in school.
If we would have Cha"v not gotten accepted before the summer, we were planning to go up for weekends and move the year after when there were more schools opening.

amother
Sapphire

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:07 pm
You forgot about heating the pool. That’s a very large expense

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:08 pm
amother wrote:
Would somebody 40+ with mostly teens fit in, or is it mostly younger families there.

Sure.

Most families are in their 30s.
Lots are 40+

There are also a nice few families that married off all their children and their kids come to them every Shabbos. Very nice to see.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:09 pm
amother wrote:
Approx 4,000 sq feet.

Gas bill is approximately $250-$300 a month during December, January and February

Your lucky your heat isn't electric.

amother
Apricot

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:33 pm
Do you have friends/relatives inviting themselves for Shabbos in the summer months?

amother
Black

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:26 pm
Did your family ideals match up with the Lakewood ideals of isolationism, one track Jewdisem, and exclusion of anything even a bit secular?
If not, are your children in schools which are more "torah em derech eretz"?

amother
Denim

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
We had just as a hard time as anyone that moves to Lakewood, Jackson or TR.

We B"H settled all out kids and they are all B"H doing very well. Just as happy as before. Not taking it for granted.

Now the school system is much easier with all the new Chadarim and Schools opening.

We had some siblings in Lakewood before we moved. Now we have more moving to Lakewood and one moving to TR.

We had no surprises, actually the only surprise is that we adapted to the peace and quiet so easily.

Miss about Brooklyn? Sad so say, but really nothing.
The traffic and parking is not missed Smile

We go in for family Simchos which is often enough to get to see everyone.

Our block is mostly Frum. (Including houses in contract)

Our cost of living has gone down. We don't go to the Catskills anymore. And that savings covers the pool maintenance, landscaping and there's still lot of extra. Cool

Besides for the mortgage which is $4000 compared to $2800 rent in Brooklyn. (Not really a cost increase, being that the house is ours the keep Iy"H)

How much did your house cost? 4000 mortgage seems high. most people I know moved out there so that they can pay under 3000 mortgage. The high mortgage plus all your extra maintenance expenses, such as gardener, pool, cleaning help as well as Travel expenses probably all add up to a huge amount!!

professor

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:41 pm
amother wrote:
Schools B"H went smoothly.
Adjustment was very Easy B"H.
Tuition is just like any school in Brooklyn. $400-$450

Kids are always going on after school playdates as was always common in Lakewood. They go to the neighbors, just like it was in Brooklyn.

In the summer, whenever me or DH are willing to watch the kids at the pool, that's all they want. Cool

Ah a pool! Nice. Do teens have what to do? Do u have teens? Do ur neighbors have pools too? Do people allow friends to go swimming if they don't have a pool?

Are there gyms or ice skating or bowling or other places where teens can meet with friends?

amother
Floralwhite

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:48 pm
amother wrote:
Did your family ideals match up with the Lakewood ideals of isolationism, one track Jewdisem, and exclusion of anything even a bit secular?

Lol when was the last time you were in Lakewood? This is not today’s Lakewood.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:58 pm
amother wrote:

It's spelled Judaism, since you're very pro-education.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:02 pm
amother wrote:
It's spelled Judaism, since you're very pro-education.

I'm also dyslexic. Do the two contradict eachother? Wink

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:

Wow it’s so cute how naive and close-minded you are.

Come to Lakewood. I’d be glad to show you around.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:03 pm
amother wrote:
Lol when was the last time you were in Lakewood? This is not today’s Lakewood.

It's strange bc while the people do not seem to be like that anymore the schools do. And that is the cause of my question.

SuperWify

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:11 pm
amother wrote:
It's strange bc while the people do not seem to be like that anymore the schools do. And that is the cause of my question.

When you say “I’m derech eretz” do you mean secular education? Because ALL schools as far as I know even Chassidish chadarim teach English subjects. Obviously some schools education are better than others.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:23 pm
amother wrote:
I'm also dyslexic. Do the two contradict eachother? Wink

Your spelling is otherwise pretty good.
I just very angry at these Lakewood-blasting stereotypical posts. People would be leaving the Lakewood area in droves if it were THAT bad.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:36 pm
SuperWify wrote:
When you say “I’m derech eretz” do you mean secular education? Because ALL schools as far as I know even Chassidish chadarim teach English subjects. Obviously some schools education are better than others.

Not really. I suppose I mean the ideal of it. As in using the Torah as a tool to live within a secular world. As opposed to say, isolationism.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 4:04 pm
amother wrote:
Your lucky your heat isn't electric.

If your heat is all electric, you should look into getting solar panels.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 10:14 pm
amother wrote:
You forgot about heating the pool. That’s a very large expense

Disagree. Pool heater is only needed in September. And cost approximately $200, we only turned it on from Thursday until Sunday.

And it's not 'needed'. It's a choice you make. There are people who don't open the pool at all.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 10:15 pm
amother wrote:
Do you have friends/relatives inviting themselves for Shabbos in the summer months?

Oh don't get me started Exploding anger Exploding anger Exploding anger

Parents, in-laws, siblings, DH's siblings, newphews, nieces etc etc

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Nov 10 2018, 10:17 pm
amother wrote:
How much did your house cost? 4000 mortgage seems high. most people I know moved out there so that they can pay under 3000 mortgage. The high mortgage plus all your extra maintenance expenses, such as gardener, pool, cleaning help as well as Travel expenses probably all add up to a huge amount!!

4000 is including taxes and insurance.

As I wrote before, landscaping and pool is nothing close to what people think. Total is under 4k a year.

Cleaning is not more. It's larger living space, same amount of laundry and food...
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating