Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
What do sensible Republicans think will lessen shootings?
1  2  Next

Mevater

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:39 am
Democrats think Gun Control will lessen shootings.

What do intelligent sensible Republicans think will lessen shootings?

amother
Ecru

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:48 am
Teaching your children about morals. Religion. The value of life. Respect for others. Strong family values with a female mother and male father and adequate love and support for children when they go through difficulties go a long way to help people grow into functional adults who dont do crazy things like shoot people. Notice that all the mass shooters recently were troubled people, not regular normal functioning people. So we need to prevent people from becoming troubled. Unfortunately many democrats don't believe in these values.

Oh and dare I mention, letting your kids watch violent TV and movies and play violent video games instills in them the idea that violence is OK.

Gun control just means those who need the weapons to defend themselves won't have them, because those who want them to shoot people will always find ways of getting them.

amother
Cyan

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 10:56 am
Ecru, all of the issues highlighted in your post are equally common in other Western societies. The US does not have higher rates of mental illness, exposure to violence and family dysfunction, yet has disproportionately higher rates of mass shootings. Why is that?

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:04 am
First and foremost, enforcement of the laws we have.

Maybe clarification of what the police are looking for when the check into someone, since a couple of the recent shooters were passed over. But that's hard.

Better mental health treatment, particularly for veterans.

Having those with concealed carry permits to carry in more settings, and working with them.

People may disagree with some of these, but it doesn't mean they're not sensible.

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:12 am
Some sensible ideas. And I can't say I would be opposed to any more restrictive laws. I might be open. But we definitely need to do this smarter.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 11:31 am
Maybe take away guns from those suffering from a mental illness. Even if they were legally able to get a gun license at one point.

Look out for those “loners” that Are always posting crazy stuff on social media.

sequoia

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:03 pm
Anglo culture is to blame, some say. Nothing to be done about it.

groisamomma

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:05 pm
When potential shooters know that others may have concealed weapons on them, and that there's a good chance they'd get their brains blown out before they can inflict much damage, it would deter them from trying. Contrary to what people think (do the research) schools with armed officers do not have school shootings. It's the placid schools, in counties where everyone makes "nice" and never wants to hurt the snowflake's feelings by profiling him, where the school shootings occur.

causemommysaid

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 12:14 pm
I'm republican and I am all for massive gun reform, control, and enforcement.

No one needs a semi automatic if they aren't in the army.

Once we get all these millions of weapons off the street and out of civilian homes, then we can start reeduction to include morals etc.

Also a huge effort to help those with mental health issues.

sushilover

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:22 pm
amother wrote:
Ecru, all of the issues highlighted in your post are equally common in other Western societies. The US does not have higher rates of mental illness, exposure to violence and family dysfunction, yet has disproportionately higher rates of mass shootings. Why is that?

actually..yes . Yes we do.

amother
Bisque

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:27 pm
Mental issues!! Anyone with slight mental issues should be disqualified from owning a gun.
Forever.
Even if they get all the help in the world.

Machine guns should be illegal to own at all.
Also, violence movies should be illegal.

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:30 pm
sushilover wrote:
actually..yes . Yes we do.

Possibly. We know we have a higher diagnosis rate. Whether that reflects our actual rate, I don't know.

sushilover

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:41 pm
Mevater wrote:
Democrats think Gun Control will lessen shootings.

What do intelligent sensible Republicans think will lessen shootings?

First, gun violence, like most issues is nuanced and there is no one-size-fits-all solution.

Some important points;
-We MUST enforce the laws we have. The data bases must be updated and accurate. Crimes and mental illnesses MUST be reported to NICS, and they must get proper funding. Under Obama, only 1% of people who lied on their background checks were prosecuted, according to the FBI. One percent!!! (We don't have Trump numbers yet) We must prosecute traffickers and straw purchasers.
- More law abiding gun owners. Every shul should have a member with a concealed carry permit. Every school should have an armed security guard. If our banks are guarded by guns, why can't our children be?
- SOLVE our gang and crime problem. Mass shootings get the headlines, but our main problem is handgun related deaths in inner cities! This must stop.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:42 pm
Guns should be a privelage not a right.
Why is it harder to pass a driving test than it is to go and buy a gun.

They need to do extremely thorough background checks, they should get references from doctors, have a true and proper psych evaluation (like the ones they give to people who want to change their gender)

I also agree people dont need semi automatics. Pistols / hand guns are perfect for protection and not mass murders.

sushilover

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:53 pm
amother wrote:
Guns should be a privelage not a right.
Why is it harder to pass a driving test than it is to go and buy a gun.

That's not true.
A felon can drive, but cannot buy a gun.
You need a permit to carry your gun.
You need to go through a background check except under the rarest occasion.
You can drive from state to state, but you often can't bring your gun from one state to another.

amother wrote:
They need to do extremely thorough background checks, they should get references from doctors, have a true and proper psych evaluation (like the ones they give to people who want to change their gender)

I also agree people dont need semi automatics. Pistols / hand guns are perfect for protection and not mass murders.

Most pistols/handguns are semi-auto.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 1:56 pm
We definitely need stricter gun laws....

But even more so, tighter security. Armed security guards, at the very least armed with a Taser. Metal detectors. Tight security everywhere. Especially in schools and public places. Security should be the new up and coming field, security should be at the forefront of all our minds, cuz that's what's up in 2018.

I don't think we can sit back and rely on society to raise mentally healthy people. Let's just protect ourselves.

amother
Crimson

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:02 pm
sushilover wrote:
Most pistols/handguns are semi-auto.

I didn't mean it in terms of having it like a driver's license. Just saying the there are 3 tests in order to get your license. And they teach you driving is a privelage not a right.
There's a permit test. Written drivers test. Actual driving test.
I feel there should be layers/tests to go through in order to get a gun. I'm all for guns. just it's way too easy in some states (and more difficult in others).

Maybe I meant automatic. I usually just let my husband pick out the guns we shoot at the range so csnt say I'm very familiar... but there are some guns you can continuously shoot. Yeah automatic.

gold21

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:07 pm
amother wrote:
I didn't mean it in terms of having it like a driver's license. Just saying the there are 3 tests in order to get your license. And they teach you driving is a privelage not a right.
There's a permit test. Written drivers test. Actual driving test.
I feel there should be layers/tests to go through in order to get a gun. I'm all for guns. just it's way too easy in some states (and more difficult in others).

Maybe I meant automatic. I usually just let my husband pick out the guns we shoot at the range so csnt say I'm very familiar... but there are some guns you can continuously shoot. Yeah automatic.

Like a machine gun- yeah I agree with you, those guns should not be sold to U.S. civilians

amother
Purple

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 2:23 pm
gold21 wrote:
Like a machine gun- yeah I agree with you, those guns should not be sold to U.S. civilians

And they are not. It's already illegal.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Nov 09 2018, 3:17 pm
I have a silly question. In Texas... starting from practically age one every kid owns a gun( or two). Are there any mass shootings in Texas ever? Why not?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics