Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How I Wish My Doctor Would Have Presented Vaccination
Previous  1  2  3  4

Sebastian

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 6:58 pm
amother wrote:

1. To be honest, medical science does not yet fully understand how this process works, but vaccinating drastically reduces chances of children getting a wide range of diseases.

Vaccinations are each introduced to fight a specific disease that we know contains serious risks. They can be fast-tracked into production, because unless the side effects are very common and very serious, they are usually a smaller risk than the disease itself. Later, the formulas are often fine-tuned to make them safer. 2. For example, the original polio vaccine contained the live virus, which actually gave some children polio. The newer vaccines do not contain any live poliovirus, and are safer, even though they are a drop less effective.

You should be aware that more research efforts go into coming up with new vaccines against more diseases than into researching how to make current vaccines safer.

We can do our part in pushing for safer vaccines by reporting any side effects to VAERS, which is a database of vaccine reactions. Either we can do this at the office, or you can report yourself online.

We can also follow extra precautions to minimize side effects, in the timing and frequency we actually administer the vaccinations.

It is important to note that each vaccine comes with its own risk/benefit ratio in proportion to the disease it presents. Some vaccines need a series of shots to get sufficient immunity rates, some need boosters after a few years because the immunity can wear off, others are not successful for 25% or more of people who get the shots.

Overall, vaccines are considered safe, but there is no medication in the world that has no side effects, and vaccines are not an exception. For most people the effects are unnoticeable or very minor, but occasionally a person will have a severe reaction which in rare cases can lead to long-term health issues.

In respect to the practice of responsible medicine, I prefer to take a more cautious attitude to vaccination. This involves spacing out vaccinations more, and evaluating more regularly for side effects that would indicate that a child is not handling the vaccines well.

However, this approach can only work when a parent is on board. It requires a bigger time investment from parents, including more frequent visits to the doctor. These would not be full appointments, as any nurse in the practice could administer the vaccines once they are ordered. Still, it is a commitment on your part.

Since vaccinations are, as we mentioned, overall safe, if you can’t commit to more frequent trips to the doctor to space out the shots, the most logical decision would be to just go with the CDC recommended vaccine schedule.

If you ARE willing and able to make the commitment, we will follow a modified schedule, spacing out vaccines about 2 months apart each, preferring separate over combined vaccines, and evaluating each vaccine individually.

If not, we will still do our best to vaccinate responsibly, and make decisions out of abundance of caution. We will do this by preferring single-dose vials which contain fewer preservatives, and reporting all side effects to VAERS, ensuring that researchers know of any problems with the existing formulas.

Of course, as always, you are the parent and we will respect your decisions, even if we disagree. I hope, however, that we can discuss your concerns and come to conclusions that we both feel good about.

What do you think?

In respect to the measles vaccine: Unfortunately, in the USA today there is no option to separate the measles, mumps, and rubella vaccines. Although each of them have their own sets of risks and benefits, let’s focus on the measles portion of the vaccine, since for most this is the make-it-or-break-it of this decision.

Of course all sicknesses are miserable, but that is not a good enough reason to take a health risk.

Measles was once considered a “standard” childhood disease, similar to chicken pox. Still, the mortality rates are significantly higher than with chicken pox, about 2 out of 10,000 in otherwise healthy children. This is a low rate, but still not negligible. More importantly, measles is extremely contagious, and has a long incubation period where you don’t know that you are sick, but can still pass on the virus to others.

Although there are some bigger safety concerns with the MMR over some other vaccines, this vaccine is extremely effective, providing full and lasting immunity to over 95% of people getting the shot.

I therefore recommend the measles vaccine to anyone without a history of negative vaccine reactions.

3. If you would not get the vaccine, you should be aware of the alternative methods of treatment, which may reduce the chances of significant complications, and be prepared to self-quarantine for up to 2 weeks in the case of an outbreak to prevent it from spreading.

If you did suspect that you were exposed, I would recommend the measles immunoglobulin, which does not necessarily provide lifetime protection, but would prevent you from getting the measles immediately.

About the varicella vaccine:

You probably remember chicken pox, also known as varicella, from when you were a child. Of course, it is not a pleasant thing to have. You probably do not remember people dying from it, although it did happen. Of course, chicken pox, as any other disease, can be very serious for someone who is immunocompromised, like L”A a cancer patient.

The varicella vaccine is not always so effective, and immunity tends to wear off. This raises some concerns, as chicken pox is far more serious as an adult. Getting the actual disease confers lifetime immunity.

Because of this, some elect to postpone the vaccine until age 10 or 11, and if the child has not yet had natural chicken pox, vaccinate then.

If you do choose to get the shot, be sure to stay away from immunocompromised people for the first few days, because some get chicken pox or shingles FROM the vaccine, and you can shed the virus for several days.

In regards to DTaP:

This is another vaccine that is not available separately. Since the pertussis component is the most significant of that shot, let’s focus on that disease.

Pertussis, also known as whooping cough, is a disease that is a big deal for most people who get it. Whooping cough causes coughing fits, often ending with a characteristic “whoop” as the person fights to catch their breath. The cough can last for weeks or months, and can cause a whoop-like cough for every minor cold for up to a year. It is far more dangerous in infants, causing pneumonia in a significant number of cases.

4. Alternative treatments do exist, but are not simple. One noted pediatrician requires 24-hour rocking of an infant with pertussis, to prevent mucus from settling in the lungs and causing pneumonia, along with heavy doses of vitamin C, which can be hard to give to infants and children.

---

Etc.

CONTEXT: I was originally a status-quo vaxxer, became anti-vax, and am now a conservative vaxer.

amother I just want to respond to the bolded.

1. Science DOES know why vaccines work. By exposing the body to a weakened or dead virus, the body builds immunity to the virus without becoming sick from it.

2. I addressed this earlier. The original polio vaccine did shed but because of the sheding, it exposed more kids to a weakened form of polio and helped them build immunity to it. Since virtually everyone vaccinated their children with the polio vaccine and polio was virtually eradicated. Since polio was no longer rampant, they were able to switch to the less effective vaccine that used a dead virus and didn't shed.

3. Most doctors are no interested in having a patient potentially exposing their entire office to measles. Even if they are open to spacing vaccines and skipping some vaccinations, they feel the risks of measles outweigh the risk of the vaccine. I would be horrified if my doctor suggested not vaccinating and potentially letting my child come down with measles. I would think hard about leaving such a practice.

4. Whooping cough is very dangerous and scary and can leave permanent lung damage. I will link to an article about a stupid antivaxer who let her 3 kids come down with whooping cough (including her 9 month old baby!). Then decide if you want the child you love to experience that. https://imgur.com/sb8o5cC

amother
Black

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 7:54 pm
amother wrote:
Can u post links? I’m searching and it just says 2 out of 3 infant that get hep b it’s not from the mom and they don’t known from where it is

Web Page Namehttps://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm5125a3.htm
Read the part titled Evolving Vaccination strategy

amother
cornflower

Post Sun, Nov 11 2018, 10:20 pm
Perhaps I should clarify, since many are jumping on this point:
We do not fully understand how IMMUNITY works.
We do know the biological reactions of vaccinations.

For those complaining that I am not adequately stating the seriousness of a VPD, I disagree, but would love to hear a nonjudgmental, balanced approach to presenting them.

Whooping cough can be managed, although it's a miserable few months of 24-hour around-the-clock care in an infant. Not highly recommended. However, the pertussis vaccine comes with its own side effects, provides 80% immunity, and wanes drastically after 7 years.

There are quite a few vaccines that were changed because of safety concerns, perhaps polio was not the best example. Consider DTP vs DTap.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics