Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Career options

Ravenclaw

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 10:46 am
I am currently a teacher and am making a nice salary (for a teacher). Truth is though, that as much as I love my job I keep thinking if I shouldn't pursue a more professional career. I am terrible at housework and though I work part-time now, I think it would be more beneficial for my family if I were to earn enough from a full-time job so that I could afford a housekeeper. Also my husband is a real learner and wishes he could go back to kollel, and I really would like to earn enough so that he can. He is actually a better housekeeper than me and we were actually happier when I was working longer hours and he was helping out more at home and in kollel.
The problem is that women earn significantly less than men. This is why I would like to hear from professionals if they think it is worth it for me to start a serious career, or if it is the same in the long run (because of training and student loans) as me trying to reach the top of the teaching field.
I would appreciate any career ideas. I have no problem with longer-track professions--I love taking college classes so that's not a concern for me.
Here's what I am good at:
objectivity (I try Smile), diplomacy, connecting with people, conveying ideas, I am a powerful speaker, have strong writing skills, creative, enthusiastic, love abstract thinking and theories, read alot (everything from novels to supreme court rulings).
Here's what I struggle with:
time management, technical details, negotiations (from one side- I like mediating issues), being ultra assertive, self-esteem, selling things (myself included), paperwork, being exact and particular in how I execute a task, rigidity.
Any ideas?

amother
Brown

Post Mon, Nov 12 2018, 10:50 am
Can't particularly think of any career switch.

But if you are a teacher and your DH is good at household stuff, would you consider doing tutoring at night? My friends mother is a math tutor and makes a six figure income on it by being available every night for multiple students.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics