Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Undescended testicle - support + info

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 12:39 pm

Does anyone have experience dealing with a child born with an undescended testicle?
My son is 2.5 and I need to make an appointment with a urologist.
I was referred to Dr. Schlussel or Dr. Stock. Info on either of these doctors would be helpful as well as information on the general procedure and what the recovery looks like for the child.
Thanks so much for any info you can share with me..

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:07 pm
I'm not from Monsey but I know about this issue. Basically, the child will have an outpatient surgery to place the testicle into the proper position. In many cases , the procedure is a few hours and then your child goes home. The first day or so the child is usually in pain but u give Tylenol. After, for a certain period of time, the child can't do certain things.

My Dr til me to do the surgery as quickly as possible and not wait until he's older bec the longer the testicle is not in proper environment, there's a chance of it getting damaged. Also, everyone hopes that the testicle stays in place once its moved, so u will go for follow ups, to see if the procedure was successful. Hatzlacha!!

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:11 pm
amother wrote:
I'm not from Monsey but I know about this issue. Basically, the child will have an outpatient surgery to place the testicle into the proper position. In many cases , the procedure is a few hours and then your child goes home. The first day or so the child is usually in pain but u give Tylenol. After, for a certain period of time, the child can't do certain things.

My Dr til me to do the surgery as quickly as possible and not wait until he's older bec the longer the testicle is not in proper environment, there's a chance of it getting damaged. Also, everyone hopes that the testicle stays in place once its moved, so u will go for follow ups, to see if the procedure was successful. Hatzlacha!!

Thank you so much for your reply. What type of things can't the child do after surgery?
I'd going to the bathroom an issue?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:52 pm
Did they tell you your son needs surgery?
Because usually it’s something that will resolve on its own.

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:55 pm
amother wrote:
Did they tell you your son needs surgery?
Because usually it’s something that will resolve on its own.

That's what I was hoping would happen but it seems like it still hasn't come down.

amother
Floralwhite

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:57 pm
Dr stock from mount Sinai is a top doctor. Unfortunately my child’s issues are way worse then an undescended testicle, but I would definitely trust him.

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:
That's what I was hoping would happen but it seems like it still hasn't come down.

Did you see a urologist yet? Because the pediatrician doesn’t really know.

amother
Sienna

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:20 pm
Please take care of it ASAP! I am surprised your doctor left it so long, since the risk of complications (cancer, sterility) really rises with time. My DS had it done here in Israel. It was a quickish surgery done on an outpatient basis. We were told to give Advil round the clock for a few days, not waiting for it to run out before the next dose. He went for yearly checkups until the urologist told us he should be fine and needs to be checked next around puberty. We had it done by a top ped surgeon, but it's considered a fairly simple surgery.

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:23 pm
My brothers and son all had this issue. In all besides one boy, they came down on its own. They were seen by Dr stock in Mount Sinai who actually also did the surgery on the one who needed it.
One was seen by Dr Canning from CHOP.
They both come very highly recommended by Refuah Resources (Rabbi Shuki Berman).
The one who had the surgery was younger than 1 or about one if I remember correctly so I don't think he had much restrictions because he was a baby. It was done early one morning and the baby came home that night. The hardest part was not feeding the hungry baby that morning because he couldn't eat before surgery.
Do you have other questions?

amother
Mustard

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:34 pm
I heard good things about dr stock

Dalia

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:49 pm
Dr stock is good but Rabbi Berman's office is recommending Dr casale in Montefiore these days. what

amother
Amber

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:54 pm
amother wrote:
Please take care of it ASAP! I am surprised your doctor left it so long, since the risk of complications (cancer, sterility) really rises with time. My DS had it done here in Israel. It was a quickish surgery done on an outpatient basis. We were told to give Advil round the clock for a few days, not waiting for it to run out before the next dose. He went for yearly checkups until the urologist told us he should be fine and needs to be checked next around puberty. We had it done by a top ped surgeon, but it's considered a fairly simple surgery.

I went to 2 different doctors in Israel and they both said it came down and is fine. I just took him to a doctor here and was told it hasn't come down...

amother
Papaya

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:31 pm
I was told that the testicle can move down and then slide back up and back and forth for a while until it hopefully decides to stay down.
Can that be what happened?

If I remember right, there was a slight increased risks of complications if it did that and they said they might have to close the tube that it was retracting into if it didn't close itself. It usually naturally closes once it comes down.

I'd definitely go to a urologist to check it out but I wouldn't freak out just yet. Especially if two other doctors had felt that it came down, there's a good chance that it just needs some convincing to stay down.

amother
Dodgerblue

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 4:23 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you so much for your reply. What type of things can't the child do after surgery?
I'd going to the bathroom an issue?

I dont remember but I want to repeat that if u waited this long for it to go down and it didnt, u shouldnt wait longer bec u dont want the testicle to get ruined. If its not in the right environment....

amother
Burgundy

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:22 pm
amother wrote:
I was told that the testicle can move down and then slide back up and back and forth for a while until it hopefully decides to stay down.
Can that be what happened?

My ds has that. We went to an endocrinologist, who told is to ignore it.

amother
Firebrick

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 5:35 pm
Hi,
My son had this..we used CHOP. He was 1 at the time. It was scray because of the anesthesia but BH everything went well. Recovery was quick. You leave the same day...be prepared for all possibilities. My son ended up not having a 2nd testicle at all[which btw according to doctors does NOT effect reproduction]
Hatzlacha raba! It is normal to be nervous but is really not a major surgery!

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 10:00 pm
I used Dr Stock for my son in Newark Beth Israel Hospital approx 6 years ago- (he works there once a week and accepts NJ Family Care) He came very highly recommended and we were very happy. Great doc and pleasant bedside manner. My son was 1 1/2 and had a very easy recovery. same day surgery, went home that night.

amother
Beige

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 11:00 pm
amother wrote:
Hi,
My son had this..we used CHOP. He was 1 at the time. It was scray because of the anesthesia but BH everything went well. Recovery was quick. You leave the same day...be prepared for all possibilities. My son ended up not having a 2nd testicle at all[which btw according to doctors does NOT effect reproduction]
Hatzlacha raba! It is normal to be nervous but is really not a major surgery!

Same here. We used CHOP when DS was 1. They went in to bring it down but took it out when they saw it was useless from getting twisted on the way down. The other testicle overcompensates so there isn’t a problem with reproduction b”h.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics