Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Unpopular Opinions
  Previous  1  2  3 13  14  15 16  17  18  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:45 pm
dankbar wrote:
Actually people don't even know why milchig is a thing on Wed or Thu, idk if actual halacha or not, but it stems from being brought in seforim to refrain from eating meat before shabbos so it should feel special when you eat it on shabbos.

No such halacha or minhag here! We hardly do milchig and when we do, it's on Monday or Tuesday. Tongue Out

sub

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:32 pm
boots wrote:
check the title of this thread

Sigh. I guess I’ll just enjoy reading until I get the hang of it

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:34 pm
Dairy on Thursday nights is an accepted minhag with MO too. We’re machmir to include sushi Very Happy.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:55 pm
dancingqueen wrote:
Dairy on Thursday nights is an accepted minhag with MO too. We’re machmir to include sushi Very Happy.

I guess dairy on Thurs night is the only thing agreed upon across the segments of Judaism.
So let's talk about the sushi thing? If one week, you chv forget it, will your kids get kicked out of school? Will your kids ever get married?

penguin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:57 pm
Bingo

רש״י

יהי מארת.
חסר ויו כתיב [סז] על שהוא יום מארה ליפול אסכרה בתינוקות והוא ששנינו [סח] ברביעי היו מתענים על אסכרה [סט] שלא תפול בתינוקות [ע]:

Me'oros, the luminaries, is written without the vov because it's a day with a curse that diptheria falls on children, therefore they used to fast on Wednesday (yom revi'I)

tigerwife

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:04 pm
ora_43 wrote:
This xkcd is timely:

Lol. 3/4 of this thread!

Emotional

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:16 pm
sub wrote:
Our son ln law is a musician. He says that every time he turns down the volume the chassons freinds come and tell him to turn it up.

Are the chosson's friends paying the musician?

Laiya

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:46 pm
sub wrote:
Then why do I get complaints from parents that I'm the only teacher who gives little or no hw.

Don't ask me, talk to Sky!

sub

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:50 pm
Laiya wrote:

I do. Every day but I hit a wall

Last edited by sub on Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:33 pm; edited 1 time in total

dancingqueen

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 10:27 pm
keym wrote:
I guess dairy on Thurs night is the only thing agreed upon across the segments of Judaism.
So let's talk about the sushi thing? If one week, you chv forget it, will your kids get kicked out of school? Will your kids ever get married?

No but our tuition will get raised! LOL

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:28 pm
When teacher asked her kg students what Hashem created on Wednesday? The response: Milchigs!!😃

chanie18

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:37 pm
ora_43 wrote:
I'm honestly not sure how unpopular the following opinions are. Let's find out!

4. Women should stop complaining on Facebook that women's clothes don't have pockets, and should start refusing to buy clothes without pockets (OK that's probably not all that unpopular, it's just that it's my only opinion about fashion).

Marks and spencer skirts have pockets! Best ever!!

sky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:42 pm
Laiya wrote:

Lol. I don’t complain if there is none. I don’t think homework should take long...

Actually I once complained. My sons learned multiplication tables. We memorized them the entire school year. They had no summer homework. The start of the next year they were expected to have remembered it on the first day. They forgot it all. I did say something there should have been some summer homework to review if it.

Now during the summer everyone has to review 4 minutes of math 4 nights a week. We also read nightly for 10 minutes. There is a good weekly prize.

Does this bake me a horrible person?

sky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:49 pm
SuperWify wrote:

(Don’t kill me for this unpopular opinion- but I think parents should not ttc until their baby is at least 1 1/2- 2 years old.)

I’ve found having kids 1 1/2 - 2 years apart WAY easier then 5 years or more apart. I have a mixture of both. The ones who are close in age like that same things are at similar stages and play together like the same trips. And then the ones with a break have little common ground with their siblings and Need way more entertainment and can’t do the same things. In many ways I wish I’d have all them 2 years apart and then just stop rather then spreading out so much. (If I’d been up to it - but I’m glad the ones that are close in age are that way)
Just my own unpopular opinion. Smile

Shuly

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:51 pm
Americans don't have a clue about Israeli politics.

They like to talk about it but they truly don't get it. Their views are completely distorted by the media and by American culture and quite frankly, they're just wrong. I half laugh and half cringe when Americans make these blanket statements that have no truth in reality.

For examples, just read every post on this thread written by an American.

You need to live in Israel for at least 5 years and be part of an Israeli community before you can fully understand it.

(By Israeli politics, I mean everything from Arabs, chareidim, Neturei karta, Sikrikim, the Knesset, city leaders to the IDF.)

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:59 pm
sky wrote:
I’ve found having kids 1 1/2 - 2 years apart WAY easier then 5 years or more apart. I have a mixture of both. The ones who are close in age like that same things are at similar stages and play together like the same trips. And then the ones with a break have little common ground with their siblings and Need way more entertainment and can’t do the same things. In many ways I wish I’d have all them 2 years apart and then just stop rather then spreading out so much. (If I’d been up to it - but I’m glad the ones that are close in age are that way)

I agree! It's also easier for my body. Within two years, my body is still used to the whole childbearing thing. When I waited more than three years, in some ways it was like my first pregnancy- my body had reverted to non-baby mode and had to get back into it, with all accompanying symptoms. I did find it easiest when I had been done nursing for at least a month or two before getting pregnant.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:56 pm
Rutabaga wrote:
Here's my unpopular opinion:

I think that most of the segulos that people run to do are nonsense bordering on avoda zarah. Doing random narishkeit is not going to force HKB"H into doing what you want on your time frame. I don't include davening or saying tehillim in this category.

Some are not. According to your rationale then all mekubalim are bogus, is that what u believe?

Last edited by Cheiny on Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:57 pm
tsc3 wrote:
I have 2 very unpopular opinions.

Birth is a beautiful experience if u let it be. Unmedicated is the best. I literally tear up remembering my births and talking about them. I feel Hashem's presence in the room. I'm not such a spiritual person and am all for medicating when necessary but from my experience if u let go and let hashem take over there's nothing like it.

Not here to bash anyone, I have amazing family and friends living in the US whom I love dearly, but I think life in the US is way to comfortable in galus. Life was not meant to be that simple with ready made everything and drive thru everything. Everything and everyone is nauseatingly fake. Israel is just so much more real and down to earth and what I feel life is supposed to be.

So how do you explain all the choshuve rabbis who live in the US? Are they all wrong?

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:59 pm
livinginflatbus wrote:
Unpopular - taking on added Chumrus doesn’t necessarily make you a better person . Sometimes working on actual halachos is better . 2. Moving to Lakewood simply because there’s cheap housing isn’t always a smart move - nothing personal for you Lakewood folks I know most of you are wonderful people .

Who what would you advise those who are priced out of Brooklyn to do?

allthingsblue

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:00 pm
sky wrote:

What about 3 years, a happy medium?
Page 14 of 18   Previous  1  2  3 13  14  15 16  17  18  Next Recent Topics