Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health -> Vaccinations
Halachic Obligation to Vaccinate
1  2  3  Next

amother
Honeydew

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 2:52 pm
I am very proud of the Drs and Rabbis who got together to make this letter.
I wish they would do this where I live....
http://matzav.com/ramat-bet-sh.....nate/

amother
Cerise

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:37 pm
Halacha is in the torah. Vaccines where invented centuries later. Rabbi's cant make up halachos.

amother
Wine

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 3:49 pm
Rabbis can apply halacha to modern day situations, can't they?
I think too many measles threads are hazardous to our health. Can we stop already?

amother
Azure

Post Tue, Nov 13 2018, 4:24 pm
We are halachically obligated to guard our health. That is why there are differences of opinion . If vaccinate was a 613, everyone would. Just in the name if clarity. Explaining why there is debate.

imasoftov

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:52 am
amother wrote:
Halacha is in the torah.

imakaraite?

blessedjmom

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 4:59 am
There is no halachic obligation to vaccinate.
Using my useename. Don't pounce:)
I did see letters from both sides of the coin.
I'm a happy medium- in the middle.

But halachic obligation? No.

camp123

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 5:11 am
Of course halacha can be applied to currant situations. We do it all the time.
According to rabbi tatz quoting rav elyashiv. The halacha is to do what is normal. That is to do normal hishdadlus and then rely on Hashem. If you do this even if vaccines are harmful you will not be harmed anymore than if u don't vaccinate. It is a complete lack of bitachon not to vaccinate.
Also there are 613 motzvos, Not halachos.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:25 am
I would say there's obligation only when it's endangering one's health or life. Say, no one healthy and not a teen/adult here does chicken pox. So it's ok. But not vaccinating against ebola, if such thing existed, and there was ebola around?
You have to see each vaccine.

WitchKitty

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 6:44 am
amother wrote:
We are halachically obligated to guard our health. That is why there are differences of opinion . If vaccinate was a 613, everyone would. Just in the name if clarity. Explaining why there is debate.

If vaccinating was in the 613, there would be thousands of piskei halachos about which vaccines and why and how and when and every rav would have his own shitta Sad
amother wrote:
I think too many measles threads are hazardous to our health. Can we stop already?

Yes. PLEASE. At least put in all in one thread. Or one forum. This is worse than AMAs.

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 7:55 am
camp123 wrote:
Of course halacha can be applied to currant situations. We do it all the time.
According to rabbi tatz quoting rav elyashiv. The halacha is to do what is normal. That is to do normal hishdadlus and then rely on Hashem. If you do this even if vaccines are harmful you will not be harmed anymore than if u don't vaccinate. It is a complete lack of bitachon not to vaccinate.
Also there are 613 motzvos, Not halachos.

When it comes to this, all of a sudden the Halacha is to do what’s normal ?
Because following Halacha by doing things like Wearing winter clothes and sheitals in 100 degree whether is very healthy and normal

amother
Blue

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:11 am
amother wrote:
When it comes to this, all of a sudden the Halacha is to do what’s normal ?
Because following Halacha by doing things like Wearing winter clothes and sheitals in 100 degree whether is very healthy and normal

We're talking here about 'vnishmartem lenafshoisaichem', There are different parameters for each mitzva. Not sure what this has to do with sheitels and winter clothes

(and heck not sure why you would be wearing winter clothes in hot weather, what halacha is that? Covering hair doesn't have to be with a sheitel either.)

Culturedpearls

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:24 am
amother wrote:
Halacha is in the torah. Vaccines where invented centuries later. Rabbi's cant make up halachos.

Electricity was also centuries later. You switch lights on on shabbos?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:30 am
Regardless of what halacha says, the measles outbreak is so severe in Rockland now that apparently, according to the news, nobody, even those fully vaccinated or born before 1957 are considered immune.◂
New City, NY
Local NewsReal EstateEventsJobs
Measles Outbreak: 13 More Cases In Four Days In Rockland County
Now so widespread, with 68 confirmed cases, even those born before 1957 and those who were fully vaccinated are at risk.
By Lanning Taliaferro | Nov 13, 2018 1:06 pm ET | Updated Nov 13, 2018 3:58 pm ET
Measles Outbreak: 13 More Cases In Four Days In Rockland County

ROCKLAND COUNTY, NY — There are 68 confirmed cases of measles within Rockland County as well as 11 suspected cases. That's a jump of 13 cases in just four days.

County Department of Health officials said that the entire county should be considered at risk. Even people previously considered immune — anyone born before 1957 and anyone who has received two doses of measles vaccine — could catch the highly contagious disease.

Subscribe

Health officials tightened restrictions on schools in the geographic area where the outbreak is concentrated. All schools in New Square and any school in Spring Valley or Monsey where the immunization rate is lower than 80 percent, must keep un- or under-vaccinated students at home.

The restrictions, which affect 34 schools, will apply until 21 days after the last measles case is confirmed in the county — and officials acknowledge that that could be months away.

The county also wants children to be vaccinated earlier than usual. Instead of waiting till 12 months, any child 6 months or older or any adult who has not received their first MMR vaccine yet should get their first MMR vaccine now.

"We continue to encourage everyone to be up-to-date with the MMR vaccine to help protect them in case of any future exposure to measles in Rockland," said County Health Commissioner Dr. Patricia Schnabel Ruppert. "Measles is highly contagious, so anyone who is not protected against measles is at risk of getting the disease, and they may spread measles to people who cannot get vaccinated because they are too young or have specific health conditions."

The outbreak in Rockland, which started with visitors from Israel and residents who visited Israel, is primarily affecting the ultra-orthodox Jewish community.

It's occurring in Hasidic communities in New Jersey and Brooklyn as well.

Measles Outbreak Hits Williamsburg, Officials Say
Measles Cases Now 4 In Ocean County 'Outbreak,' Officials Say
Measles is not just a rash. Symptoms of measles can also include high fever, cough, runny nose and red, watery eyes.

Measles can be dangerous, especially for babies and young children, as it can lead to pneumonia, brain damage, deafness, and death. Others who are at high risk for complications if they get the measles include fetuses, pregnant women who are not immune, as well as those who are immunocompromised or immunosuppressed (when your body can't fight disease).

SEE ALSO:

Measles Exposure In Rockland County, Newark Airport
Rockland, Westchester Exposed To Measles By Another Visitor
After Recent Measles Scare, Rockland Offers Residents Free Vaccine
Seven Cases Of Measles Confirmed In Rockland County
11+ Cases Of Measles In Rockland County
Now With 15 Cases of Measles, Rockland Adds Vaccine Clinics
4 More Suspected Measles Cases In Rockland County
Measles Outbreak: 20 Cases; Unvaccinated Kids Must Stay Home
Now With 40 Measles Cases, County Adds Restrictions, Clinics
Measles Outbreak: 52 Cases, More Possible In Rockland County
Measles Outbreak Worsens; More Restrictions In Rockland
Image via Shutterstock

Get real time New City Patch news alerts and our free daily newsletter, and visit us on Facebook.

See article on Patch >
More from New City, NY Patch
Upskirt Peeping Tom; Favorite T-day Recipe; Prison Kitchen relations
'Upskirt' Peeping Tom; Favorite T-day Recipe; Prison Kitchen relations
These Shiatsu Massagers Are All On Sale Today
These Shiatsu Massagers Are All On Sale Today

Sign up for free local newsletters and real-time alerts for the New City, NY Patch

Patch.com is the nationwide leader in hyperlocal news. Visit Patch.com to find your town today.

©2018 Patch Media. All Rights Reserved

amother
Black

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:32 am
amother wrote:
We're talking here about 'vnishmartem lenafshoisaichem', There are different parameters for each mitzva. Not sure what this has to do with sheitels and winter clothes

(and heck not sure why you would be wearing winter clothes in hot weather, what halacha is that? Covering hair doesn't have to be with a sheitel either.)

I’m not anti vaccination. I just find the argument that Halacha dictates that we should do what’s normal a little far fetched and ironic. That hardly applies to anything we do.
In today’s day and age, the way many frum Jews dress even in summer would be considered wearing winter clothes according to the norm. I Don’t think doctors recommend that males should not spill seed for years until they get married. They actually recommend m-sturbation as normal and healthy in today’s day and age.

Veneshmartem .. I think applies to life/death situations. For example, you can take a pill that is not kosher if it will save your life. Vaccines are preventative. They are being administered to healthy people. That’s why I don’t see how it would apply.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:34 am
southernbubby wrote:
Regardless of what halacha says, the measles outbreak is so severe
ROCKLAND COUNTY, NY — There are 68 confirmed cases of measles within Rockland County as well as 11 suspected cases. That's a jump of 13 cases in just four days.

County Department of Health officials said that the entire county should be considered at risk. Even people previously considered immune — anyone born before 1957 and anyone who has received two doses of measles vaccine — could catch the highly contagious disease.

Anyone can catch it? Is it that vaccinations aren't 100% effective or something about when there are so many cases in one area?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 8:41 am
PinkFridge wrote:
Anyone can catch it? Is it that vaccinations aren't 100% effective or something about when there are so many cases in one area?

Seems to be that during an outbreak, the only truly immune people are those that actually have had measles.

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:09 am
[quote]

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:14 am

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Cyan

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:16 am
blessedjmom wrote:
There is no halachic obligation to vaccinate.
Using my useename. Don't pounce:)
I did see letters from both sides of the coin.
I'm a happy medium- in the middle.

But halachic obligation? No.

R' Shmuel Fuerst, Dayan and R' Yonah Reiss of CRC disagree.

There may not be a halachic obligation in general, but when there is an outbreak, it's a different situation.

They consider anti-vaxxers to be rodfim at this time.

Last edited by amother on Fri, Jul 12 2019, 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total

southernbubby

Post Wed, Nov 14 2018, 10:18 am
I called the Rockland county health department and they told me that because I was born in 1955, I should not worry about catching the measles.

I don't know where that news report came from but they are not advocate doing anything different.

My health department here in Oakland County does not usually give the shot to people my age.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics