Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did your supper cost you today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

pesek zman

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:07 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Wow! My DH eats sbout 6-8, I eat 3-4 and baby 1-2.... so I make about (weather in a soup or meatballs and spaghetti) 12-15 and they are completely polished.

K’ah! Family of good eaters!!

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:12 pm
amother wrote:
No! Aldi lettuce is not checked for bugs! It is simply rinsed off, that’s it. Lettuce leaves are infested with tiny bugs and worms (you can see them with a good light and magnifying glass). I’ve often seen frum people buying lettuce at aldi’s and wondered about that.
We pay more for pre checked lettuce to avoid the possibility of eating bugs.

Just want to address this comment. When there is a star k on the package (which isn't all the time) it doesn't require further checking. The star k uses a chazaka for checking bags and you can rely on that (if you hold by the star k).

Even you buy kosher brand lettuce, not every piece is being checked. Either it is grown in a bug free environment (ie in greenhouses, not outside) or they are also relying on a chazaka.

Just fyi.

amother
Babyblue

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:16 pm
amother wrote:
No! Aldi lettuce is not checked for bugs! It is simply rinsed off, that’s it. Lettuce leaves are infested with tiny bugs and worms (you can see them with a good light and magnifying glass). I’ve often seen frum people buying lettuce at aldi’s and wondered about that.
We pay more for pre checked lettuce to avoid the possibility of eating bugs.

Just want to address this comment. When there is a star k on the package (which isn't all the time) it doesn't require further checking. The star k uses a chazaka for checking bags and you can rely on that (if you hold by the star k).

Even you buy kosher brand lettuce, not every piece is being checked. Either it is grown in a bug free environment (ie in greenhouses, not outside) or they are also relying on a chazaka.

Just fyi.

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:49 pm
I'm in Bklyn. Shop at my local supermarket for meats. Will list prices as I just made order.

Ground chicken 4.99 lb
Ground Turkey 7.99 lb
Chicken bottoms 3.59 lb
Cutlets plain not pounded 7.49 lb

Shuly

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:54 pm
I never thought we were such big eaters and we're all thin, but we eat so much more than most of you!
This was for 5 regular eaters and 1 toddler:

1.5 lbs chicken cutlets- $8.30
bag of frozen french fries - $2.70
pitas for those who wanted - $1.50
Salad - 6 cucumbers, 4 peppers, can of pickles, red onion - $5
olive oil, shwarma spice, homemade techina - about .50

Total: $18

If we have meatballs or hamburgers it costs much more because shnitzel is cheaper in Israel.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 12:59 pm
Shuly wrote:
I never thought we were such big eaters and we're all thin, but we eat so much more than most of you!
This was for 5 regular eaters and 1 toddler:

1.5 lbs chicken cutlets- $8.30
bag of frozen french fries - $2.70
pitas for those who wanted - $1.50
Salad - 6 cucumbers, 4 peppers, can of pickles, red onion - $5
olive oil, shwarma spice, homemade techina - about .50

Total: $18

If we have meatballs or hamburgers it costs much more because shnitzel is cheaper in Israel.

I also live in Israel and I definitely spend less when using ground meat than schnitzel. It might be the same per kilo but it stretches more. Also ground chicken is much cheaper and we often use that.

mom!

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:08 pm
Sounds like a lot of people spend aloot of money on chickens/meat. (I am NOT talking to OOT.) In the tri-state area, most big supermarkets carry a full line of imported meats. The taste is perfectly fine and the price even more so. In fact, I find the imported flanken gives my cholent much more flavor as it is fattier. (I personally do not buy the imported brand when making an actual dish, I.e. making flanken with onions, only in soups, cholent, chopped meat ect.) Regarding chicken, things go on sale. If you stock up, you don't have to spend all this money.
In my house I keep dinner within a $10 a day budget. Kids generally don't end up eating what I make but they are very little so I serve fish sticks, scrambled eggs, grill cheese, ect.

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:10 pm
SuperWify wrote:
Wow! My DH eats sbout 6-8, I eat 3-4 and baby 1-2.... so I make about (weather in a soup or meatballs and spaghetti) 12-15 and they are completely polished.

ETA: I saw you layer wrote you mske yours big. Well my are on the smaller side.

My DH is really not a big eater at all. Sometimes for shabbos I’ll make salads, dips, chicken soup and moroccon fish with all the vegetables or roast with potatoes.

This sounds more like my families eating habits. 1lb of meat would serve me my husband and baby, and there would be none left for my other kids.

Alot of posters sound like their families are really tiny eaters or theyre living on a planet were food is crazy cheap.

amother
Coral

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:14 pm
The only thing my dinner cost was my dignity.

I get most of my groceries from the local food bank. embarrassed

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:36 pm
mizle10 wrote:
This sounds more like my families eating habits. 1lb of meat would serve me my husband and baby, and there would be none left for my other kids.

Alot of posters sound like their families are really tiny eaters or theyre living on a planet were food is crazy cheap.

I wouldn't say we eat little. Depends what you call little.. some families have 4 challahs, 2 plates of soup per person, fish, meat and dessert on shabbos. We have 2 challos , 1 plate of soup pp, meat and dessert. I'd say we eat a normal amount. Sometimes double servings, mostly not.
And all the food that doesn't have to be bought at a kosher store is very cheap here. I pay 35 cents for a kilogram flower , 2 euros for 3 kgs potatos, 1 euro for 1 kg rice etc. We're not chalav yisroel so milk and yogurt is also cheap. The only thing expensive is cheese and meat. And we only eat meat on Shabbos or Yom tov.

amother
Blush

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:42 pm
Tonight is peppersteak - $12
Rice - $1?

2 adults 3 kids

Shuly

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:45 pm
amother wrote:
I also live in Israel and I definitely spend less when using ground meat than schnitzel. It might be the same per kilo but it stretches more. Also ground chicken is much cheaper and we often use that.

I mix ground meat with ground chicken, but if I make hamburgers we use 1 lb ground meat and 1 lb ground chicken for one dinner.

Moonlight

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:49 pm
We are super light eaters
If I have chicken bottoms for dinner/shabbos, DH and I each eat 1 and my 4 kids will split a 3rd. Maybe start a 4th. That's it.
I do serve a carb and vegie with it for dinner but I can make salad for DH and myself and 1 cut up pepper/cucumber/apple for 4 kids to share.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 1:56 pm
All of us eat different things for supper...
I would say it’s an average of around $10 a night. (A chicken bottom and rice for dh, a slice of frozen pizza for one, macaroni and cheese for another...)

It’s more if I buy ready made food like pizza and fries or schnitzel sandwiches. I hate spending money on take out so we don’t do it often but when we do it can average to $25-$30 for 6 people.

amother
Seafoam

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:06 pm
amother wrote:
I wouldn't say we eat little. Depends what you call little.. some families have 4 challahs, 2 plates of soup per person, fish, meat and dessert on shabbos. We have 2 challos , 1 plate of soup pp, meat and dessert. I'd say we eat a normal amount. Sometimes double servings, mostly not.
And all the food that doesn't have to be bought at a kosher store is very cheap here. I pay 35 cents for a kilogram flower , 2 euros for 3 kgs potatos, 1 euro for 1 kg rice etc. We're not chalav yisroel so milk and yogurt is also cheap. The only thing expensive is cheese and meat. And we only eat meat on Shabbos or Yom tov.

Very cheap. Which country in Europe has these prices? Since you mention euros

mizle10

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:38 pm
amother wrote:

My family eats the same as you by a shabbos meal, 1-2 challos, a piece of fish for whoever wants, a bowl of soup, a portion of main dish (chicken or meat) for each person, some type of side and then dessert. The question is what are you calling a serving? The poster who was writing about her meatballs is calling 1/5 of a pound if ground beef a serving. So yeah, according to her portions we'd be eating 2-3 portions each.

amother
Wheat

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:43 pm
mizle10 wrote:

I'm a very big eater, my dh standard and have two small kids who aren't big eaters. If I make a bolognese then we would go through almost 1lb though there's always leftovers, with meatballs it would stretch for two full meals since there's added ingredients in it.

I don't understand how you are all going through so much since I know that I eat much more than other people (and it shows). Perhaps you aren't serving any carbs with it?

heidi

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 2:43 pm
mizle10 wrote:

Thanks for saying that.
I thought we were the biggest eaters ever.
I serve between 3-5 people a night.
Mostly men.
A kilo (2.2 lbs.) of ground meat or cutlets or pargiyot is always polished off. Either during the meal or by the next day.
A kilo of ground meat costs 60 shekel ($14?). A kilo of chicken bottoms about 30 shekel ($9?)
A bag of frozen broccoli 30 shekel.
Salad probably around 20 shekel
Bag of whole wheat couscous 7 shekel
So I think I spend an average of $25-$30 for dinner and rarely have leftovers for the next day

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 3:25 pm
amother wrote:

I pay 50c a kilo for plain flour. Maybe lidl or aldi is less.
€1 per kilo of potatoes. (I think this higher then last year, maybe something to do with very hot summer we had)
€1 for 1 kg rice - same here.
cy milk - about €1.20 a litre. Soya milk is 75c or so.
olive oil is under €5 a bottle.
cheese - I think about €5 per pound for cy cheese in blocks. (pretty much all hard kosher cheese is CY here)
meat - depending on quality of meat chopped meat is €4-8 per pound.

yamz

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:21 pm
Some people are definitely underestimating the costs of produce and even side starches. It is difficult to believe that anyone is feeding a family of five on $1 worth of potato or 20 cents of onion. Even cheap russet potatoes are 59 cents a pound. If you are buying the little round ones, those are priced much higher. If you buy Persian cucumbers, those are usually $3-4 per pound. There are approximately 5-6 of them in one pound.
Page 8 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics