Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much did your supper cost you today
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next

SuperWify

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 4:37 pm
I agree people are underestimating. I’m trying so hard to figure out the cost but it’s proving very difficult.

Yesterday we had vegetable calzones.
Frozen pizza dough- $3.50
Cheese- $3
2 eggs- 30 cents
1 can mushrooms $1
1/2 red pepper $1.00
1/2 onion $.25

Salad-
1/4 bag Lettuce $1.50
1 beet $.30
1 long cucumber $2
1/2 beef tomato $.50

Totals: $13.85

If we eat meat (we generally do) it would be at least $20.

tichellady

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:04 pm
yamz wrote:
Some people are definitely underestimating the costs of produce and even side starches. It is difficult to believe that anyone is feeding a family of five on $1 worth of potato or 20 cents of onion. Even cheap russet potatoes are 59 cents a pound. If you are buying the little round ones, those are priced much higher. If you buy Persian cucumbers, those are usually $3-4 per pound. There are approximately 5-6 of them in one pound.

All depends on where you live. Where I live cucumbers are about $2 a lb. and you can buy huge bags of potatoes for very cheap. anyways not sure why this is a contest. We all have different needs and abilities and live in places with different costs.

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:25 pm
$10.20 beef hot dogs
$2.20 buns
$4.75 corn salad

$17.15 dinner for 4

mha3484

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:36 pm
Tonight I am making Turkey Zucchini burgers and quinoa. I am doubling the recipe for another week.

1lb of ground turkey is 5.79
Zucchini is from leftover zoodles from earlier in the week so I estimate $2 (I think the whole package was 3.99)
Eggs, spices I am not counting but I cant imagine the are more then $2

Total is $9.79

One cup of quinoa is around a dollar.

I am making a sauce that goes with the recipe since of my kids has a thing about zucchini and maybe this will convince him to try it.

Pareve yogurt is $2
Pareve Sour Cream around $1

I get larger containers and my kids will eat the rest or ill use them for a different recipe.

Recipe claims to yield 18 patties. I am a little skeptical but if it makes 12 with a side dish its more then sufficient for us.

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:37 pm
2 chicken legs /bottoms $3.25
1/4 bag frozen chopped broccoli about $1.50
Can of mushrooms .89
1 pack franks $5.49
1 pack buns $2.99 (not sure of price)
6 potatoes $2.00
2 onions $1.00

Total dinner for five $17.12

amother
Tangerine

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 5:54 pm
Raisin wrote:
I pay 50c a kilo for plain flour. Maybe lidl or aldi is less.
€1 per kilo of potatoes. (I think this higher then last year, maybe something to do with very hot summer we had)
€1 for 1 kg rice - same here.
cy milk - about €1.20 a litre. Soya milk is 75c or so.
olive oil is under €5 a bottle.
cheese - I think about €5 per pound for cy cheese in blocks. (pretty much all hard kosher cheese is CY here)
meat - depending on quality of meat chopped meat is €4-8 per pound.

What country do you live in? You don't have to say, I'm just curious .. we also have Aldi and Lidl. LIDL has better veggies most of the time but I do shop at both places. Potatoes did get more expensive...I noticed that aswell.
But recently I saw 4 kgs for 2,50 euros Smile we also buy soy milk but the alpro brand is unfortunately double the price (2 -2.50 euros) the "nonkosher" cheap brand would be only 95 cents

amother
Gray

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:21 pm
For two adults:
2 slices frozen pizza ( sale price 9.99 for 8 slices)= $2.50
1 cup milk@3.55 a gallon= 22 cents
6 ounces oj on sale, 52 ounces for $2.50=29 cents
About a third of a head of broccoli @ $2 = 66 cents
Veggies to top the pizza maybe 50 cents, max. Homemade veggie soup—this I really can’t estimate but doubt it’s more than 50 cents a portion.
So $4.17 for the two of us. But it’s a small supper and milchik and we didn’t have dessert or a lot of veggies. Later I may have some fruit. The whole one cost $2, which is crazy cheap for the size of it, and if I have an eighth of it that’s 25 cents.
Oops, I added extra cheese. A six ounce bag was on sale for 2.99 and I used maybe half an ounce, so add another 25 cents. So $4.42 if I don’t have dessert, $4.67 if I do.

Lots of people can do way better. I live in an area where food is expensive. The only reason I did this well is that I recently visited a big frum area with kosher supermarkets and got the cheese and pizza for way less than I can ever get it here.

doodlesmom

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:26 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
2 chicken legs /bottoms $3.25
1/4 bag frozen chopped broccoli about $1.50
Can of mushrooms .89
1 pack franks $5.49
1 pack buns $2.99 (not sure of price)
6 potatoes $2.00
2 onions $1.00

Total dinner for five $17.12

How does 2 bottoms cover 5 people? What am I missing?

ETA: okay I'm seeing the franks now!!

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:37 pm
doodlesmom wrote:
How does 2 bottoms cover 5 people? What am I missing?

ETA: okay I'm seeing the franks now!!

Yes. The chicken was for me (I ended up only eating one) and the franks for DH and the kids.
I eat different food because of my diet.

Raisin

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:48 pm
amother wrote:
What country do you live in? You don't have to say, I'm just curious .. we also have Aldi and Lidl. LIDL has better veggies most of the time but I do shop at both places. Potatoes did get more expensive...I noticed that aswell.
But recently I saw 4 kgs for 2,50 euros Smile we also buy soy milk but the alpro brand is unfortunately double the price (2 -2.50 euros) the "nonkosher" cheap brand would be only 95 cents

I think Aldi and Lidl are everywhere. (Aldi is even in the US now!) But they sell a lot of locally sourced products so what I get in my Lidl is probably not the same as what you get.

I'm in a very small country with tiny Jewish population. I often get kosher food like meat, milk etc from other countries.

kenz

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 6:50 pm
PSA: It’s Cost. The food cost $$. Not COSTED.
COST. Please. Please!

Carry on.

amother
Purple

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:09 pm
It's not the dinners that are expensive in our home, it's all the food that's consumed from morning until dinner. Dinner is the least of it.
And don't get me started on the cost of organics :-( But that's what y'do when y'have kids with special diets and who need organic for health reasons.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:32 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Salmon is regularly 9.99 a lb where I live in the midwest. I have stretched it in all kinds of ways to feed my family of 5. Flaked into pasta, salmon patties, tacos. 8 pcs of chicken can totally be under $10 if each person only eats one 1/8th.

Apparently, your children have not entered their teens yet! One teenager can eat half a pound of salmon and side dishes (starches, fruit, vegetables) and still be hungry.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 7:46 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
Apparently, your children have not entered their teens yet! One teenager can eat half a pound of salmon and side dishes (starches, fruit, vegetables) and still be hungry.

Thank you!! I'm reading these meals and can't. We are a family of 7. 2 adults, 3 preteen/teens, 2 younger. My kids do t eat lunch nicely. Not sandwich people. Sometimes they eat school lunch nicely, sometimes they pick at it.
2 nights ago, I served 1.5 lbs chopped meat as meatballs, spaghetti, 4 peppers, 4 kirbies, and 1 lb carrots. We had 1 meatball left over and by 8pm, the three older ones were rummaging for fruit, crackers, dry cereal.
Last night I made 3 lbs grilled chicken cutlets intending to freeze at least half. I also made rice and farfel as a choice and steamed broccoli. Let's just say my 11 year old ate 4 portions and wanted a fifth. But I can't complain. Its healthy. And there are those who just can't convince their kids to taste chicken or broccoli.
Many of my kids have allergies to different cheap foods so.... (Eggs, dairy, nuts, chickpeas, soy, peas, peanuts, and lentils).

sky

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:18 pm
1 box frozen pizza $7.99

Butternut squash lentil soup - enough for 3 suppers - total $4.25

2 butternut squash - free old produce
1 bag lentils $1.50
1 bag baby carrots $1.50
3 onions. .75
Celery .50

Eggplant parm - total $7
2 eggplants - .80 - old produce
Corn flake crumbs $1.00
Cheese $3.00
Don pepino sauce $1.50
Tomato sauce $.60
9x13 pan -.15

Can pickles. $1.50

2 adults, 4 kids, 1 toddler. $21 total

JoyInTheMorning

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:22 pm
keym wrote:
Thank you!! I'm reading these meals and can't. We are a family of 7. 2 adults, 3 preteen/teens, 2 younger. My kids do t eat lunch nicely. Not sandwich people. Sometimes they eat school lunch nicely, sometimes they pick at it.
2 nights ago, I served 1.5 lbs chopped meat as meatballs, spaghetti, 4 peppers, 4 kirbies, and 1 lb carrots. We had 1 meatball left over and by 8pm, the three older ones were rummaging for fruit, crackers, dry cereal.
Last night I made 3 lbs grilled chicken cutlets intending to freeze at least half. I also made rice and farfel as a choice and steamed broccoli. Let's just say my 11 year old ate 4 portions and wanted a fifth. But I can't complain. Its healthy. And there are those who just can't convince their kids to taste chicken or broccoli.
Many of my kids have allergies to different cheap foods so.... (Eggs, dairy, nuts, chickpeas, soy, peas, peanuts, and lentils).

I hear you! We also have allergies to inexpensive foods. I'm just happy for healthy appetites. But our food budget is huge.

keym

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 8:49 pm
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I hear you! We also have allergies to inexpensive foods. I'm just happy for healthy appetites. But our food budget is huge.

Yup. Better lots of grilled chicken and broccoli than rummaging for chips and cookies.

amother
Brunette

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:06 pm
When I see people having such meager suppers I couldnt figure out how they are full & not hungry.....now Im chapping that in Europe & Israel many do lunch as main meal & dinner is only a small meal. By us supper is main meal. Some of my fam members hardly eat anything during day & fill up by supper

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:12 pm
Tonight's supper was:
Sauteed chicken cubes
Mashed potatoes
Caesar salad
Canned pineapple tidbits

dankbar

Post Thu, Nov 15 2018, 9:14 pm
Baby salmon fillet in my supermarket is 14.99 a lb
Page 9 of 10   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10  Next Recent Topics