Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Challenge: what can I do with 3 lbs of cherry tomatoes

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 7:51 am
extra points if I can use for shabbos

double extra points if I can use when making my brisket.

one caveat, no one here eats cooked tomatoes.

Mommy1:)

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 7:55 am
tomato salad? Slice each in half lengthwise, add minced garlic, minced sweet onion, salt, pepper, olive oil. Once you add salt they will start to wilt, so add salt before serving.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 8:22 am
You COULD make tomato sauce but IMO that would be a waste unless you had a cartload. I would pickle most of them;, marinate some with onion or scallion, garlic, olive oil, balsamic vinegar, pepper, basil, and parsley; and put some in Israeli salad. You could use some in tabouli, too.

There is such a thing as tomato jam, but again, not worth making unless you have a cartload.
And you could always freeze some to use in dishes like shakshuka and caponata.

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 8:26 am
no one here is a big tomato fan unless it comes in a fresh salad. I can use some for that and some for tomato dip but that leaves a lot to cook with. I don't know how we ended up with so many.

Chana Miriam S

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 8:48 am
I slice them half, cut side up on a cookie sheet. Drizzle with olive, oil, garlic, salt and roast on low heat til dry as you like.

Amarante

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 10:51 am
Roasted cherry tomatoes are delicious. I have a recipe for a tomato and zucchini roasted dish. I also make a fresh pasta sauce with cherry tomatoes. They are also good for a nice vegetable pasta salad. I also have made a sheet pan type of recipe with chicken, cherry tomatoes and basil.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 16 2018, 11:19 am
1091 wrote:
extra points if I can use for shabbos

double extra points if I can use when making my brisket.

one caveat, no one here eats cooked tomatoes.

I would just make a tomato salad, yum.
Halve them and toss with scallions, garlic, red wine vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.

shanie5

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:20 pm
Just eat em plain! 3 lbs would be finished in no time with my family! (my kids eat tomatoes like they are apples)

trixx

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 10:50 pm
Mommy1:) wrote:
tomato salad? Slice each in half lengthwise, add minced garlic, minced sweet onion, salt, pepper, olive oil. Once you add salt they will start to wilt, so add salt before serving.

Or just minced garlic, fresh basil and balsamic vinegar. Yummmm. When the leftovers (if any) get wilted I use in chicken salad or roast as is.

dankbar

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 11:22 pm
You can put them into your pot of chicken for flavor. Letcho. Tomato dip. Avocado tomato salad. Any salad like ceasar, nosh nosh. Deli salad or grilled chicken cutlet salad. Schwarma salad. Tuna & salad mixed. Omelettes. Tuna melts.

FranticFrummie

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 4:13 am
For breakfast, I like a bowl of plain yogurt with sliced fresh tomatoes. The sourness of the yogurt makes the tomatoes taste extra sweet, and it's a delicious combination.

Goat yogurt is the best, IMHO.

dankbar

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:58 am
Donate
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics