Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
How to get kids to use softer voices

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:40 pm
This is mostly an issue for 4yo dd who is a ball of energy but 7yo ds also talks way too loudly for my ears. Both have had their hearing tested, no issues. Both are socially aware and don't do things like stand too close to friends etc. Advice please before the rest of us start losing our hearing.

Rachel Shira

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 9:43 pm
I’m sure you do this already, but if you’re conscious of always using a very soft tone of voice (even borderline whispering sometimes) maybe it will sink in over time.
That being said, some people are just louder than others.

amother
Vermilion

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:08 pm
Lol, I guess I am just impatient and want a quick fix.

BasMelech120

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:10 pm
Use a soft voice yourself Smile It won't be a quick fix, but will likely be a more wholesome fix.

Best of luck!

amother
Firebrick

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:58 pm
I would love a good answer to this!

My kids are constantly talking louder over each other to be heard, and they don't even realize how loud they are!

amother
Vermilion

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:10 am
I'm the OP and this is causing undue stress in our home. modeling is not sufficent. any other strategies that have actually worked for you?

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:43 am
We talk about using a "medium voice." Demonstrate a whisper voice and a loud voice. Medium is in between. When the kids need to talk lower, I ask for a medium voice and they usually switch right away. They won't do it on their own so soon, but this has definitely helped us!

It's about increasing their awareness. They don't know how loud they really are!

nchr

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 8:44 am
Say "indoor voices please" or "library voices" to remind them.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 10:16 am
nchr wrote:
Say "indoor voices please" or "library voices" to remind them.

I do this too - I gently remind my 10-year-old to use her indoor voice, please.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Dec 13 2018, 9:22 pm
It's also good to reinforce by saying "I can't hear you" if they talk in the volume you have already discussed is not appropriate in the house. Say it quietly (modeling) but broken record of not being able to hear them helps in addition so it's not modeling alone.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers