Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> In the News
El Al passengers- seriously?
1  2  3  4  Next

Petra

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:12 pm
https://www.timesofisrael.com/.....care/

Sebastian

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:19 pm
According to several passengers on the flight there was no violence. They did ask to get off in NY as the flight was very delayed and the pilot lied to them and said okay and then took off

sub

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:26 pm
Why do people fly on late Thursday flights to eretz yisroel? They are taking too big of a risk.

shyshira

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:27 pm
https://blogs.timesofisrael.co.....-002/

GiGichai

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:29 pm
https://collive.com/show_news......light

Israeli_C

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:31 pm
The article started off being stam another excuse to hate on haredim (typical Israeli media). The real story is slowly coming out that there was no 'rioting' or violence http://www.israelnationalnews......54860

sub

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:36 pm
shyshira wrote:
https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/im-one-of-those-violent-religious-passengers-on-el-al-flight-002/

Thank you for the link And the picture definitely shows that there were all types of yidden.

Petra

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:38 pm
The follow up stories are much nicer!

gamanit

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 7:57 pm
https://www.theyeshivaworld.co......html

achayl

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 8:37 pm
I am sorry but it's their own fault. We rely on instant travel nowadays and it's wrong.
There are halachos about traveling on a Friday, you are not supposed to. If you must, then you need to travel with essentials like challahs and grape juice etc in case you run into this issue.
To get on a plane on a Thursday evening to fly to EY and land on Friday is just wrong. There are so many things that can go wrong.

grace413

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:47 pm
Not condoning violence - if there was any - but I do not understand how any shomer shabbat person flies from the States to Israel on a Thursday night, especially when Shabbat starts at 4 pm.

The odds of delays are just too great to take a chance.

If anybody here is thinking of taking such a flight, do yourself a favor and change your mind.

Ruchi

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 10:56 pm
achayl wrote:
I am sorry but it's their own fault. We rely on instant travel nowadays and it's wrong.
There are halachos about traveling on a Friday, you are not supposed to. If you must, then you need to travel with essentials like challahs and grape juice etc in case you run into this issue.
To get on a plane on a Thursday evening to fly to EY and land on Friday is just wrong. There are so many things that can go wrong.

You are 100000% right about this.

I fail to understand why someone would want to take this risk on a long haul trans-atlantic flight.

People just don't learn their lesson.

Where are the Rabonim in all this?
Why don't they issue a proclamation that it is assur to take a flight on a Thursdaywhen there is a chance there could be a delay, resulting in chilul shabbos?

An erliche yid, shomrei torah u'mitzvos should definitely not be taking such a flight.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:04 pm
My angle is: Kol Hakavod to El Al for sticking to its mandate to not fly on Shabbat.

I am sure they were under tremendous pressure from their secular Israeli public to fly uninterrupted, and I am sure they will catch serious flak from the secular Israeli press.

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:11 pm
DrMom wrote:
My angle is: Kol Hakavod to El Al for sticking to its mandate to not fly on Shabbat.

I am sure they were under tremendous pressure from their secular Israeli public to fly uninterrupted, and I am sure they will catch serious flak from the secular Israeli press.

Not trying to be cynical but El Al can't afford to violate Shabbat for fear of offending their haredi customer base which constitutes a very important portion of their clientele, especially on the highly competitive TLV-NYC route.

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:13 pm
grace413 wrote:
Not condoning violence - if there was any - but I do not understand how any shomer shabbat person flies from the States to Israel on a Thursday night, especially when Shabbat starts at 4 pm.

The odds of delays are just too great to take a chance.

If anybody here is thinking of taking such a flight, do yourself a favor and change your mind.

And in the winter yet, and from North America where it snows already in November.
It's a huge risk.

DrMom

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:27 pm
etky wrote:
Not trying to be cynical but El Al can't afford to violate Shabbat for fear of offending their haredi customer base which constitutes a very important portion of their clientele, especially on the highly competitive TLV-NYC route.

Absolutely -- but hilonim can boycott too.

Learning

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:33 pm
DrMom wrote:
Absolutely -- but hilonim can boycott too.

Hilonim usually are not organized. They just choose whatever airline is better for them at that time.

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:46 pm
Learning wrote:
Hilonim usually are not organized. They just choose whatever airline is better for them at that time.

Although there is the kind of Israeli who will always try to fly ELAL because of security concerns and because it is an Israeli airline, not matter how egregious their attitude, service and punctuality record is.
But I think that most Israelis who fly ELAL for these reasons are already used to the airlines' concessions to and prioritization of the haredi market.

shyshira

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:51 pm
etky wrote:
And in the winter yet, and from North America where it snows already in November.
It's a huge risk.

The passengers would have accepted the risk that they might be stuck in NY for Shabbos. (Though it is early in the season for this kind of weather)

Probably didn't anticipate sitting on the tarmac being told they could leave the plane - and then 'surprise - we are in the air now'.

Last edited by shyshira on Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:04 am; edited 1 time in total

etky

Post Sat, Nov 17 2018, 11:55 pm
shyshira wrote:
The passengers would have accepted the risk that they might be stuck in NY for Shabbos. (Thought is early in the season for this kind of weather)

Probably didn't anticipate sitting on the tarmac being told they could leave the plane - and then 'surprise - we are in the air now'.

Lol.
Perfect example of what is known in Israel as a 'targil'.
One blogger wrote that not everyone had their safety belt on and they were all busy texting from their phones
Just for those safety violations the airline can be sued.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics