Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
What challa board should I buy?
1  2  Next

amother
Turquoise

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:22 pm
I live OOT. There are the silver wood ones with the glass in top online on eichlers and the silverplaited that are cheaper. Idk why is the top plastic/glass not wood. also should I buy the large or medium

sky

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:37 pm
For years I had a large wood challah board with glass and silver. It was heavy, difficult to clean and store. Took up tons of room on the table.

Recently I got a simple small wood board with decorative handles. It’s small and lightweight and simple to clean. It’s not as pretty but I love it. It’s also easier to cut challah on.

I’ve seen some beautiful compact stone or glass cutting boards. I would get that over a heavy or large board. (The stone ones are heavy but can be narrow and easy to clean). If you do go the silver / wood / glass route get a board with glass that goes end to end. It’s easier to clean on a weekly basis.

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 12:38 pm
You put this under finances. Neither challah board will hold up. I had gone through 3 of them before I gave up and bought a functional one. One of them was top of the line basic. One was a super expensive imported one. And one was a gift which was silver plated.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:08 pm
I like using a large glass cutting board. Simple, neat, easy to clean and easy to store.

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 1:53 pm
Not the op but can any of you post links?
I’m looking for one too and it’s imortsmt that it shouldn’t be too heavy.

zaq

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:04 pm
Go for wood if you value your knife. Glass, stone and ceramic are hard on blades.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 2:07 pm
We bought a really nice wood cutting board in Costco for very cheap and use it for a Challah board.

asmileaday

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 3:40 pm
If you like wood do a search for wood cutting boards.
I got a glass cutting board on Amazon for $18. Looks beautiful and serves the purpose.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 4:34 pm
amother wrote:
Not the op but can any of you post links?
I’m looking for one too and it’s imortsmt that it shouldn’t be too heavy.
I have something like this (without the feet actually).
https://www.bedbathandbeyond.c.....D_BwE

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 4:38 pm
If you enjoy craft get some plain wood boards and a wood burning pen and have fun decorating them.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:33 pm
I see a lot of Michael Aram ones as vort gifts. They are not cheap, but very up to date and pretty.

https://www.amazon.com/Michael.....R49OM

amother
Navy

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:38 pm
Waterdale collection has gorgeous ones. U can buy online.
Personally I have a lenox board/dish that is silver and wasn't using for anything else so that's what I use now.

rachel6543

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 7:56 pm
I recently replaced my wood/glass challah cutting board (which was hard to clean & was damaged) with a small granite cutting board. I actually just ordered it off Amazon. It’s super easy to clean, easy to store, looks beautiful, and wasn’t to expensive, I think $15-$20 range.

michal1

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:25 am
excuse my ignorance, but what is OOT stand for?

amother
Lilac

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:30 am
OOT- our of town.

Ques- doesn’t a glass challah board crack if you’re cutting with a sharp knife right onto the glass?

michal1

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:30 am
Cheap ( only $28 bucks!! ) beautiful (nice design) practical (small 10x14 doesn't take up your husband's entire side of the table Smile Glass Challah Board shipping is $7.95, if you add some fillers you can get free shipping over $50 for that seller. Follow instructions on check out...
https://www.shtotty.com/judaic.....oard/

amother
Wheat

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:37 am
amother wrote:
OOT- our of town.

Ques- doesn’t a glass challah board crack if you’re cutting with a sharp knife right onto the glass?

They don't crack. They scratch.

amother
Puce

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 9:53 am
I'm also looking for a lightweight, well priced board but I want something that has a rim so the crumbs don't fly everywhere.
I love this but it's too small. cant find same thing in bigger.

https://www.amazon.com/GAC-Tem.....psc=1 b

amother
Lavender

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:58 am
We used to have a very fancy cherry wood large challah board with silver and covered with glass. It’s beautiful, it really is BUT it is soooo heavy... so hard to move, take off the table and clean. It is also so large.. which is what makes it beautiful but a pain to use.
After many years I finally bought an extra light weight bamboo wood cutting board. Is it gorgeous? No way! But it’s functional, good quality, light weight, easy to move and wipe off and works for us. We happen to have a nice challah cover so you hardly see the challah board anyway.

Stay away from the beautiful, heavy challah boards that are hard to lift and clean.

Before I bought the bamboo wood cutting board, I bought a nice glass one in a judaica store that was on sale. It was pretty, lightweight and looked easy to clean. Dh did not want it. He was afraid that the glass could break easily if a child drops it... so I returned and bought a Woden one.

Here’s a link to what I bought:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d.....title

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jan 02 2019, 10:59 am
amother wrote:
OOT- our of town.

Nope. And the cutting board ones have a textured top so it doesn't get scratched either.
All the judaica challah boards come with a glass top.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics