Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers
He's been using the wrong hand

amother
Lilac

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 5:15 pm
My 5 year old's teacher informed me recently that he's been really struggling with writing, more so than is typical. So I asked how much she thought was attributable to his left handedness and she was stunned. She said all year, he's been picking up the pencil with his right and she had no idea he was a lefty. So of course, the next day she directed him to use his left, and sure enough, the issues immediately went from extreme to minor. He knows full well he's a lefty. He's very strongly left handed, it was apparent before he was even two. I'm still baffled as to why he would have been trying to write with his right all this time. I asked him and he just shrugged his shoulders and said he was copying his friends. Could that be it, he saw everyone using their right, so he did too? He is very into copying his peers, but would he have taken it as far as using the wrong hand? It's just so weird!

nchr

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 5:55 pm
I don't see why it's a big deal at all. Nothing would have happened had he continued with his right and now that's he's using his left, hopefully things will be easier. Btw my son writes with his left hand but does everything else with his right so go figure.

amother
Indigo

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 6:18 pm
The same thing happened with my daughter! When she was 3, we went to PTA and sat there enjoying the nachas when the teacher said, “Oh, just one small thing, she seems to have some trouble with her fine motor skills like writing and coloring...” and we’re like, “You know she’s a lefty, right?” The teacher was shocked and had no idea (thankfully this was very early in the year). Problem solved right then and there Smile

She was also very strongly a lefty from before she was even one. My next kid is still deciding, but with her it was obvious.

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 18 2018, 11:04 pm
Sounds totally reasonable for a 5 yo to have been copying his friends. He probably just didn't realize that it's a thing for some people to use a different hand, and thought he was just following school directions. Now that it's been corrected he should be fine. You'll probably look back on this and laugh at it pretty soon.

amother
Lilac

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 5:44 am
Thanks. I'm already laughing, I think it's hilarious. I'm a bit surprised he even noticed which hand everyone else was using. I'm a lefty too and at 5, I still had trouble with the concept that if you're facing someone, your left is their right and vice versa, so I never would have noticed everyone was using a different hand. But if he did notice, yes, I can totally see him doing what everyone else is doing. We did have a little talk about it, I explained to him that everyone has a "main hand" and a "helper hand", and that for most people, almost everyone in fact, the right is the main and the left is the helper, but for some people, the left is the main and the right is the helper. I told him that daddy and siblings are all righties, but mommy is a lefty just like him, so it's something special we share Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Preschoolers