Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
Pressure cooker/ Instant Pot
1  2  Next

MiracleMama

Post Mon, Nov 19 2018, 11:59 pm
I want one. So many choices and have no idea where to start. Can you recommend a brand and model, or at least tell me what features to look for?

seeker

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:21 am
Following

jewishmom6

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:23 am
following....just adding that I would love to hear what it compares to a crock pot? does it taste the same? My family does not go for the crock pot food.

nchr

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:35 am
If someone lives in the Monsey area, I have one that has never been used.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 8:19 am
I find that the instant pot is much more precise then the crockpot. You dont get the over cooked cholenty taste that the crockpot gives off. I really appreciate the set and forget aspect. I can put different ingredients in turn it on and go do something else instead of babysitting the pot on the stove.

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 8:24 am
I have the 6 qt duo model and its great for my family of 5. I find that the 8 qt takes up more space on the counter and takes longer to come to pressure.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:29 am
mha3484 wrote:
I have the 6 qt duo model and its great for my family of 5. I find that the 8 qt takes up more space on the counter and takes longer to come to pressure.

Is that the instant pot brand? I think 6 qt would be the right size for me. I just am wondering about all the bells and whistles. Seems like modern pressure cookers have so many extra features - not just the simple pressure cookers that were around when I was a kid. Do you use the extra features/ settings?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:31 am
Mine is the instant pot brand. I have never needed it but people rave about the customer service. I use the sautee often as well as the pressure and keep warm. I dont usually use the pre set buttons I just do manual and enter my own times.

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:32 am
MiracleMama wrote:
Is that the instant pot brand? I think 6 qt would be the right size for me. I just am wondering about all the bells and whistles. Seems like modern pressure cookers have so many extra features - not just the simple pressure cookers that were around when I was a kid. Do you use the extra features/ settings?

Following. I'm thinking of getting the 6-in-1 (I don't need the yogurt maker) in the 6 quart for my family of 4. I just want to know if it's worth it.

Also, do you think it will go on sale for $50 on Amazon (or anywhere) on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 9:49 am
mha3484 wrote:
Mine is the instant pot brand. I have never needed it but people rave about the customer service. I use the sautee often as well as the pressure and keep warm. I dont usually use the pre set buttons I just do manual and enter my own times.

The heat up algorithm is supposedly different with some of the settings. I don't use them for that reason, though. I have them set around where I need them for certain dishes, which makes it easier. Eg, I have it on a L O N G time for bone broth, so the soup setting is high, for that.

And I love the durned thing.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:04 am
jewishmom6 wrote:
following....just adding that I would love to hear what it compares to a crock pot? does it taste the same? My family does not go for the crock pot food.

That's sort of like saying "my family doesn't like deep fried foods; should I buy an oven?" They're entirely different.

A crock pot is used to cook things at a low temperature for a very long time. Its usually used for stews, although it can be used for roasts and soups.

A pressure cooker cooks things quickly, using pressure to increase the temperature of liquids above the boiling point to cook foods faster. While liquids are needed, they need not be IN the food (you can cook on a rack above the liquid). I use it to make soups, corned beef, ribs, brisket, bone-in chicken, chinese-style chicken dishes, potatoes, rice, bean and lentil dishes, and a bunch of other things I can't think of right now. We don't "do" stews, including cholent.

MiracleMama

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:07 am
SixofWands, what brand/ model do you have?

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:09 am
I think people compare the two appliances because they both offer a certain convenience. A crockpot lets you put your ingredients in and come the end of the day a hot meal is ready. The Instant Pot lets you make a meal in a shorter time period then your standard cooking options. So I think some people ask if I have one do I need the other.

southernbubby

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:11 am
My DD has one for Pesach. Because it cooks quickly, they can spend all day running around on Chol ha moed and still have soup for supper.

SixOfWands

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:11 am
MiracleMama wrote:
SixofWands, what brand/ model do you have?

Instant Pot.

My main meat one is an older 6-quart Duo (7-in-one). I rarely use the slow cooker feature, and never use the yogurt maker, so I'd skip them in the future.

For dairy, I have the 3-quart, but I don't use it nearly as much as I thought I would. Now that its getting colder, though, I'll use it for dairy soups.

And I have the 6-quart Lux (6-in-one) for Passover.

I told you I love the durned thing!

zohar

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:13 am
I just made a delicious, fall off the bone chicken last night. It too under 1/2 hr. From start to finish. The chicken practically melts in your mouth!

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:17 am
smileforamile wrote:
Following. I'm thinking of getting the 6-in-1 (I don't need the yogurt maker) in the 6 quart for my family of 4. I just want to know if it's worth it.

Also, do you think it will go on sale for $50 on Amazon (or anywhere) on Black Friday or Cyber Monday?

I have the "no frills" 6-in-1 model and I love it. It does the job and it pressure cooks just the same, as far as I can tell. And you don't need the yogurt maker for fleishigs.

I have a six quart, but we're more than 4 people, and I find it a bit tight sometimes. A six quart for four people should be more than adequate.

I bought it in August for fifty dollars, when it went on sale very, very briefly. I've been checking all the major websites, but I haven't seen the price go that low yet - sorry! Right now the one I bought is $79 on Amazon...

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:19 am
zohar wrote:
I just made a delicious, fall off the bone chicken last night. It too under 1/2 hr. From start to finish. The chicken practically melts in your mouth!

Chicken is the one thing I haven't made successfully yet. Can you share your recipe? Thanks!

mha3484

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:25 am
When it comes to chicken I have the best results with recipes that are saucy or braised. I love this when I am in the mood for a little more patchke https://www.bonappetit.com/rec.....u-vin

Otherwise, I take any recipe I would make in the oven or on the stove but I cut the cook time by 2/3rds.

Mommyg8

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 10:29 am
mha3484 wrote:
When it comes to chicken I have the best results with recipes that are saucy or braised. I love this when I am in the mood for a little more patchke https://www.bonappetit.com/rec.....u-vin

Otherwise, I take any recipe I would make in the oven or on the stove but I cut the cook time by 2/3rds.

Thanks for posting!

The one time I tried making chicken in the instant pot it didn't cook at all because my recipe didn't contain any water. Stupid me - you need liquid for the instant pot to work! That's why I'm looking around for good recipes - because my standard chicken recipe doesn't work in the instant pot.

If anyone has any savory (not sweet) chicken recipes to share, would love to try!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars