Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
One Pan Dinner
1  2  Next

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 11:14 am
I am BH in the beginning of a pregnancy and am sick like a dog. I am bH still able to look at chicken, but have zero strength. Any more ideas for one pan dinners that are easy to prepare? I am currently making lots of chicken and rice/potatoes but we need some changes.

Thanks!

bbhem5

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 12:31 pm
Ziti, lasagna
Meatloaf- I slice onions, potatoes, and carrots into a 9 by 13 pan and add my prepared, shaped meatloaf on top. Bake about 1-2 hours

smileforamile

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 12:33 pm
bbhem5 wrote:
Ziti, lasagna
Meatloaf- I slice onions, potatoes, and carrots into a 9 by 13 pan and add my prepared, shaped meatloaf on top. Bake about 1-2 hours

Sounds great! Do you mind sharing your meatloaf recipe?

bbhem5

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:29 pm
smileforamile wrote:
Sounds great! Do you mind sharing your meatloaf recipe?

I'll try. It's far from exact.
Mix 1 to 2 lbs ground beef, 1 or 2 eggs, 1/2 to 1 cup bread crumbs, plus about same amount tomato sauce. I add chopped onion, garlic, if I have time and patience. Otherwise just spice to your family's taste. Chopped spinach, shredded zucchini, etc. work well too but some of my pickier kids detect... something. Shape into loaf and place on top/ in center of pan, surrounded by potatoes, carrots, yams. Season veggies. Spread ketchup on meatloaf. I sometimes add some liquid (broth) to the pan. Cover and bake about 1 1/2 hours until veggies are soft and meat starts to brown.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:37 pm
I have always leaned towards one pan dinners if at all possible. There is a current cooking trend called sheet pan dinners which provides the same easier cook as well. I have a lot of recipes - are you interested in specific proteins - I.e. chicken versus beef. There are also fish recipes as well since salmon is a perfect fish for sheet pan treatment as the veggies generally provide moistness and flavors.

I also look for recipes that are easily freezable and then heat up well although I am also okay with serving leftovers the day after - if not the next day. Or having individual frozen portions.

I'm happy to post some if you let me know what you like and/or hate :-).

Last edited by Amarante on Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

kakky

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:38 pm
try one pot pasta and meat sauce.

https://www.chabad.org/recipes.....e.htm

amother
Chocolate

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:48 pm
Amarante wrote:
I have always leaned towards one pan dinners if at all possible. There is a current cooking trend called sheet pan dinners which provides the same easier cook as well. I have a lot of recipes - are you interested in specific proteins - I.e. chicken versus beef. There are also fish recipes as well since salmon is a perfect fish for sheet pan treatment as the veggies generally provide moistness and flavors.

I also look for recipes that are easily freezable and then heat up well although I am also okay with serving leftovers the day after - if not the next day. Or having individual frozen portions.

Chicken or beef, I can't handle fish at this point:)

Thanks!

ahuva06

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:51 pm
Sarah Lasry has a second Instagram account called baking sheet dinners (as one word)
You can check it out. She has loads of ideas there...
Feel good!

amother
Slateblue

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:54 pm
Amarante wrote:

I'd love to hear these ideas as well! especially the salmon ones

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 1:54 pm
This is one of my favorites - I usually double because leftovers are very good.

I just put the whole spice mixture on the chicken. I have used boneless chicken thighs frequently as it is easier to get the raw fat off when prepping.

This freezes very well and actually is better the second day.

Smothered Barley with Chicken
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: Cooking Light
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon dried mint flakes
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
6 (4-ounce) chicken thighs, skinned
1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
Cooking spray
1 1/2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped red bell pepper
1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
3 1/2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1 1/4 cups uncooked pearl barley
1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, drained
6 tablespoons chopped green onions

Directions:

Combine the first 7 ingredients in a small bowl, and rub chicken with
half of spice mixture.

Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over
medium-high heat. Add chicken; cook 1 minute on each side or until
chicken is browned. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Recoat skillet with cooking spray; add chopped onion, bell pepper, and
soy sauce. Cook over medium-high heat 3 minutes or until vegetables are
lightly browned. Add broth, barley, tomatoes, and remaining spice
mixture, and stir well. Add chicken to skillet, nestling into vegetable
mixture. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 55 minutes or
until chicken is done. Let stand 15 minutes. Sprinkle with green
onions.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 2:01 pm
I don't use a pressure cooker for this and obviously kosher sausage :-). I just cook in a large skillet as there is nothing in here that benefits from a pressure cooker or takes a lot of time to cook.

I use whole wheat couscous and I just pour boiling water or chicken broth over it so it's very easy to make

Moroccan Summer Vegetable and Sausage Stew
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Serving Size: 8

Ingredients:

2 teaspoons olive oil
2 cups chopped onion
1 pound hot turkey Italian sausage
5 cups (3/4-inch) cubed eggplant (about 1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups coarsely chopped yellow squash (about 1 pound)
1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
3 cloves, garlic minced
1 (15 1/2-ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained
1 can (14.5-ounce) diced tomatoes, undrained
1/3 cup golden raisins
3 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
6 cups hot cooked couscous

Directions:

Heat oil in a 6-quart pressure cooker over medium-high heat. Add onion, and sauté 2 minutes. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage to cooker; cook 2 minutes, stirring to crumble. Add eggplant and next 9 ingredients (eggplant through tomatoes). Close lid securely; bring to high pressure over high heat. Adjust heat to medium or level needed to maintain high pressure; cook 4 minutes. Remove from heat; place cooker under cold running water. Remove lid, and stir in raisins and thyme. Serve over couscous; sprinkle with cheese.

Notes:

Eggplant, onion, and summer squash join sausage and raisins for a hearty dish that tastes as though it simmered for hours. Use kitchen scissors to split the sausage casings.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups stew, 3/4 cup couscous, and 2 tablespoons cheese)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 401 (24% from fat); FAT 10.8g (sat 4g, mono 3.7g, poly 2.2g); PROTEIN 21.7g; CARB 55.8g; FIBER 8.9g; CHOL 60mg; IRON 2.8mg; SODIUM 885mg; CALC 151mg;

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 2:03 pm
This is a variant of roast chicken. I make more of the mustard honey sauce. Very easy to scale up and roasted vegetables are so delicious.

Honey-mustard Roast Chicken with Winter Vegetables

Recipe By: Eating Well Magazine
Serving Size: 4

Ingredients:

6 small all-purpose potatoes, cut in quarters
6 medium carrots, cut in 2 " slices
3 medium parsnips, cut in 2" slices
2 heads garlic, peeled and separated
1 tablespoon olive oil
4 bone-in chicken breasts, skinned and trimmed
3 sprigs rosemary
2 teaspoons rosemary, chopped
1/2 cup reduced sodium chicken broth
2 tablespoons dijon mustard
1 tablespoon honey

Directions:

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a 10 by 14 inch roasting pan, combine potatoes, carrots, parsnips, garlic and oil. Season with salt and pepper; toss well. Season chicken with salt and pepper and nestle it into vegetables with rosemary sprigs. Sprinkle with chopped rosemary. Add chicken broth and cover tightly with foil.
Bake chicken and vegetables for 30 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a small bowl, combine mustard and honey.
When chicken has roasted for 30 minutes, brush with honey mustard mixture. Continue roasting, uncovered, basting chicken occasionally with pan juices, until no trace of pink remains in the center and the chicken and vegetables are tender, 25 to 35 minutes more. (if chicken is done before vegetables remove and keep warm while vegetables finish cooking) Serve immediately.

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 2:13 pm
Chile is an obvious easy choice - freezes well and leftovers are even better. There are loads of recipes but I really like this one which uses sausage (kosher of course). Obviously you don't need the cheese or use vegan cheese.

All-american Chili

Serving Size: 8

Summary:

Note: Like most chilis, this version tastes even better the next day.

Ingredients:

6 ounces hot turkey Italian sausage
2 cups chopped onion
1 cup chopped green bell pepper
8 cloves, garlic minced
1 lb. ground sirloin
1 jalapeño pepper, chopped
2 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 tablespoon ground cumin
3 tablespoons tomato paste
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 bay leaves
1 1/4 cups Merlot or other fruity red wine
2 cans (28-ounce) whole tomatoes, undrained and coarsely chopped
2 cans (15-ounce) kidney beans, drained
1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:

Heat a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Remove casings from sausage. Add sausage, onion, and the next 4 ingredients (onion through jalapeño) to pan; cook 8 minutes or until sausage and beef are browned, stirring to crumble.
Add chili powder and the next 7 ingredients (chili powder through bay leaves), and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Stir in wine, tomatoes, and kidney beans; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 1 hour, stirring occasionally.

Uncover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves. Sprinkle each serving with cheddar cheese.

Nutritional Information:

Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili and 1 tablespoon cheese)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 375(29% from fat); FAT 12g (sat 4.6g,mono 4.1g,poly 1.1g); PROTEIN 28.9g; CHOLESTEROL 59mg; CALCIUM 165mg; SODIUM 969mg; FIBER 8.2g; IRON 5mg; CARBOHYDRATE 33.7g

Cheiny

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:05 pm
amother wrote:
I am BH in the beginning of a pregnancy and am sick like a dog. I am bH still able to look at chicken, but have zero strength. Any more ideas for one pan dinners that are easy to prepare? I am currently making lots of chicken and rice/potatoes but we need some changes.

Thanks!

Chicken and potatoes, chicken and rice

FranticFrummie

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 3:57 pm
Lentil soup. Cook lentils with whatever veggies you like, salt and pepper to taste. Red or yellow lentils are not as strong flavored as the French green lentils that are larger.

If you like curry, add some curry powder, or you can add your favorite Moroccan spice blend. It's a great base recipe and you can add anything you like to it. You can make the soup really thick and hearty, or thinner, however you like.

If you make it spicy, serve it over basmati rice, or with fresh pita that has been brushed with garlic butter.

Sleepymama

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 4:56 pm
Amarante - these recipes look amazing!
I'm excited to try them!!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 5:40 pm
I think this is one I have made for the past few years for erev Y"K https://damndelicious.net/2015.....gies/
(chicken cutlets, baby potatoes, and broccoli all in one pan)

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:42 pm
I haven't made this one for awhile but I remember liking it - the apple butter gives is an interesting flavor with the roasted chicken

I used the bagged cubed butternut squash to simplify and I think I also used parsnips because I love baked parsnips.

Autumn Ragout with Roasted Vegetables

Serving Size: 10

Ingredients:

1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
2 teaspoons prepared mustard
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
4 cloves, garlic chopped
3 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled butternut sqaush
2 cups (1-inch) cubed peeled rutabaga
2 cups (1-inch) cubed carrot
1 small red onion, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 1/2 pounds skinned, boned chicken breast, cut into 1-inch pieces
1/2 pound turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
2 cups (1-inch) pieces napa (Chinese) cabbage
2 cups low-salt chicken broth
1/2 cup apple juice
1/2 cup Pennsylvania-Dutch Apple Butter or Spiced Pear Butter
1 can (15-ounce) navy beans, drained

Directions:

Preheat oven to 450º. Combine the first 8 ingredients in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish. Add squash, rutabaga, carrot, and onion, and toss well. Bake mixture at 450 degrees for 30 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring occasionally. Remove from oven, and reduce oven temperature to 350 degrees. Combine squash mixture, chicken, and remaining ingredients in a large Dutch oven. Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.

Notes:

Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 cup)

NUTRITION PER SERVING
CALORIES 231 (24% from fat); FAT 6.1g (sat 0.9g, mono 1.7g, poly 1.4g); PROTEIN 23.4g; CARB 25.1g; FIBER 3.7g; CHOL 62mg; IRON 2.6mg; SODIUM 543mg; CALC 93mg;

Amarante

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:45 pm
And Beef Stew is always welcome. I add string beans towards the end - For whatever reason I like string beans when they are cooked in a stew :-)

Always better to cook ahead and refrigerate - not only does the taste improve the next day but it's so easy to take off the coagulated fat from the top.

Beef Stew with Carrots & Potatoes

Servings: 6

Total Time: 3 Hours 30 Minutes

INGREDIENTS

3 pounds boneless beef chuck (well-marbled), cut into 1-1/2-inch pieces
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium yellow onions, cut into 1-inch chunks
7 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1-1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 cups dry red wine
2 cups beef broth
2 cups water
1 bay leaf
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
4 large carrots, peeled and cut into one-inch chunks on a diagonal
1 pound small white boiling potatoes (baby yukons), cut in half
Fresh chopped parsley, for serving (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS

Preheat the oven to 325°F and set a rack in the lower middle position.

Pat the beef dry and season with the salt and pepper. In a large Dutch oven or heavy soup pot, heat 1 tablespoon of the olive oil over medium-high heat until hot and shimmering. Brown the meat in 3 batches, turning with tongs, for about 5 minutes per batch; add one tablespoon more oil for each batch. (To sear the meat properly, do not crowd the pan and let the meat develop a nice brown crust before turning with tongs.) Transfer the meat to a large plate and set aside.

Add the onions, garlic and balsamic vinegar; cook, stirring with a wooden spoon and scraping the brown bits from bottom of the pan, for about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste and cook for a minute more. Add the beef with its juices back to the pan and sprinkle with the flour. Stir with wooden spoon until the flour is dissolved, 1 to 2 minutes. Add the wine, beef broth, water, bay leaf, thyme, and sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon to loosen any brown bits from the bottom of the pan and bring to a boil. Cover the pot with a lid, transfer to the preheated oven, and braise for 2 hours.

Remove the pot from the oven and add the carrots and potatoes. Cover and place back in oven for about an hour more, or until the vegetables are cooked, the broth is thickened, and the meat is tender. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Serve the stew warm -- or let it come to room temperature and then store in the refrigerator overnight or until ready to serve. This stew improves in flavor if made at least 1 day ahead. Reheat, covered, over medium heat or in a 350°F oven. Garnish with fresh parsley, if desired.

Freezer-Friendly Instructions: The stew can be frozen for up to 3 months. Before serving, defrost it in the refrigerator for 24 hours and then reheat on the stovetop over medium-low heat until hot.

teachkids

Post Tue, Nov 20 2018, 6:59 pm
I have a variety of crockpot meals that are basically: some starch, some chicken, some sauce, cover and cook on low all day.

meat sauce and pasta (yes, it's two pots, but so easy)

pulled beef in the crockpot.

a rich soup, sometimes even with meat in it.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen