Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Jerusalem and measles
1  2  3  Next

ggdm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 11:48 am
I am planning a trip to Israel for January with a baby too young to be vaccinated against the measles. I want to go to Jerusalem, but with the measles outbreak there I am hesitating. My Hebrew is not good enough to read news, and in the English-language news I wasn't able to find too many specifics.

So, Jerusalem or Israeli imamothers, can you tell me more? Which neighborhoods should I avoid? Is the outbreak still going strong or on its way to the end so that I might not need to worry anymore in January? Would you go to the old city, Machane Yehuda, take the light rail or what would you avoid because of risks? Would you rather sleep in Tel Aviv and only do one or two day trips to Jerusalem? Skip Jerusalem entirely? What other areas in Israel are affected?

Thank you.

(and I am sorry, we are all fed up with the measles threads, so please no vaccine discussions here, just plain information on the assumption that I don't want my baby to get the measles)

Last edited by ggdm on Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
White

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 11:58 am
I'm gonna hop on board here with a similar question: What do people think about traveling to Lakewood with a small baby? I don't have a reason that I must go. I'm feeling hesitant but have been called paranoid. I don't think it's worth the risk. Opinions?

Sebastian

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:05 pm
In Jerusalem. It s all over basically. I wouldn't bring a baby but ask your dr

nchr

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 12:13 pm
OP, if your child is over 6 months old, it may be appropriate to give him/her a vaccination against measles (ask your doctor). Also, you can call the CDC and find out specific information regarding travel and communicable diseases in other countries (such as which areas to avoid).

ggdm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:05 pm
nchr wrote:
OP, if your child is over 6 months old, it may be appropriate to give him/her a vaccination against measles (ask your doctor). Also, you can call the CDC and find out specific information regarding travel and communicable diseases in other countries (such as which areas to avoid).

I am not in the US and they are not vaccinating my child here before 11 months old. I was not able to find more specific information than "there is a measles outbreak, get vaccinated" on the CDC page, but maybe I am searching wrong.

amother
Saddlebrown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 1:17 pm
My niece is getting married in Lakewood in a few weeks and my pediatrician told me I shouldn’t take my six month baby there

nchr

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 3:04 pm
ggdm wrote:
I am not in the US and they are not vaccinating my child here before 11 months old. I was not able to find more specific information than "there is a measles outbreak, get vaccinated" on the CDC page, but maybe I am searching wrong.

If you are not in the US, then calling the CDC would not be effective since they provide information to US citizens traveling abroad (are you a US citizen). Call your country's health ministry or your child's pediatrician to see if s/he could provide you with more resources.

WastingTime

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 2:50 pm
Measles can be everywhere and nowhere
There are mamy cases in Jlm, Beitar, Beit Shemesh among other places. Yet ppl from Jlm go to Tel Aviv also. Israel is a small country. This is not like the black plague being in India and not worrying abt it if you are in Israel.
At the same time you gotta go on living. Avoid doctor's offices and small confined spaces with many children...but avoiding Jlm in my opinion is just a false sense of security

camp123

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 3:19 pm
Why are you more worried about places in Jerusalem than flying? Isn't the airplane more of a concern?

ggdm

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 1:36 pm
There have been a few cases on airplanes, yes. Now you made me afraid Sad

But it is a game of statistics: If there are X number of cases in Jerusalem, it is much more likely to encounter one if I go to Jerusalem than when I go to Tel Aviv or take a plane.

In case someone else is interested, I have found a list of cases by city from the ministry of health:
https://www.health.gov.il/Engl......aspx

Iymnok

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 3:17 pm
That article was written Nov. 6. I’m curious what the present data is.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 28 2018, 4:39 pm
amother wrote:
I'm gonna hop on board here with a similar question: What do people think about traveling to Lakewood with a small baby? I don't have a reason that I must go. I'm feeling hesitant but have been called paranoid. I don't think it's worth the risk. Opinions?

I have a newborn baby and was just by my pediatrician he told me I should avoid going to Lakewood, Monsey and Brooklyn. Which is basically stopping me from going to any family gathering this time of year Crying and I am not the type to just sit at home.

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:12 am
I as an adult was vaccinated, my kids too. One of my kids though has a 'faulty' immune system, so this child was told when found out about this a few years ago to 'just stay away from anyone with the measles' haha, because it wasn't even a mention of an issue then.

Can I attend a simcha where a niece of mine does not vaccinate her kids and not worry that I will come home and not expose my own child in any way?

I may have to ask a dr.

TIA

abound

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:19 am
it is all over Israel now. BH I do not have anyone who is not vaccinated so I am okay but otherwise I would be locked indoors without a sitter.

nchr

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:24 am
camp123 wrote:
Why are you more worried about places in Jerusalem than flying? Isn't the airplane more of a concern?

You're less likely to come into contact with someone with the measles on an airplane than at a grocery store in Jerusalem at the moment.

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 29 2018, 9:48 am
Were in same pickle now. Were planning trip to Israel with my family. One child is recovering from Luekemia & chemo wiped out his immunity & his immune system is still too low to get the shot. I'm keeping him home in Bklyn where there are only few confirmed cases so how can I take him to Israel now? It's dangerous for him to get the measles. There are 1300 cases in Israel reported as of now.

imasoftov

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:06 am
abound wrote:
it is all over Israel now.

I wonder if there's a map that shows incidents by neighborhood ...

Rappel

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:13 am
amother wrote:
Were in same pickle now. Were planning trip to Israel with my family. One child is recovering from Luekemia & chemo wiped out his immunity & his immune system is still too low to get the shot. I'm keeping him home in Bklyn where there are only few confirmed cases so how can I take him to Israel now? It's dangerous for him to get the measles. There are 1300 cases in Israel reported as of now.

As an Israeli, I'd say there really is no way for you to be sure to keep him safe here if his immune system is laid low. There are vectors for disease all over here, and you'll be far away from his usual medical team and medical insurance. I wouldn't recommend bringing him here now.

etky

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:37 am
imasoftov wrote:
I wonder if there's a map that shows incidents by neighborhood ...

As of a few days ago....
https://pic-upload.ynet.co.il/.....T.pdf

etky

Post Sun, Dec 02 2018, 2:49 am
etky wrote:
As of a few days ago....
https://pic-upload.ynet.co.il/.....T.pdf

The chart does not reflect the fact that by the end of the week the measles had also arrived at Pardes Hanna, where apparently there are hundreds of unvaccinated kids (of 'alternative life-style' anti-vax parents) clustered in 3-4 schools.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics