Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Is your house always guest-ready???
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Violet

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:
It's the hardest thing I find about living in a tiiiny apartment. I wish I could just clean up the area they are coming into. Instead if my kitchen is messy or the table is cluttered you see it all.

So my answer is no. But I wish it was. I usually don't need much time to straighten up because of the size but on the flip side even a small mess makes my home look like a pigsty.

I agree that with a small living space it ls harder to look guest ready. The reason for me is bec I have no place to put the "lived in clutter". However, I'm a clean person, but I dont like it wen guests come over without advance notice which is why I wont answer the door unless someone gave advance notice.

A lot of my relatives are very critical and judgy"". But, even for myself, I am very organized and clean things right away....but I have ahard time keeping our apt looking neat bec its small,

amother
Oak

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 2:49 pm
My mom kept her house like a museam. I promised myself I would never do that to my kids. Kids are more important than a show place.

Ironically, I married a man like my mom. He provides all the help I need to have a house constantly guest ready, and he works on the household at least an hour before he commutes and all day Sunday. My house is always photograph ready. I am a naturally relaxed person, but I do put away my mess because he organizes things so well.

I take no credit.

amother
Wine

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:18 pm
Yes always but not for guests. For myself & my family.
I hate mess. I’m more relaxed if everything is clean.
I believe kids need a functional clean home & proper nutritious meals.
But I don’t mind others mess! So if my sons house is upside down I’m totally ok with it. He & my dil used to say “come in x min the house is a mess” .

iyar

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:21 pm
amother wrote:
I'm another lousy housekeeper and my house is always flying. I do care though and am mortified when people stop by unannounced, even if it's just to borrow an egg. If I have 5 minutes notice though, I can very quickly move the mess from the living room to the bedroom and make sure to sit down looking relaxed when the guest arrives to that they think it always looks that way. Cool

My MIL once came unannounced from 3 hours away. I obviously had to let her in, but it was definitely one of my more embarrassing experiences. She thought it would be nice to surprise us. I tried to be polite about it, but deep down I hope I wasn't such a great actress and my facial expression gave her the message that she shouldn't try that one again.

What is it with all of you scared of mil finding out that people live at your house? I'm a mil. I've never walked in unexpectedly and I give lots of advance notice before I come over but here's what you should know-
I love walking in and tripping on a little pair of shoes or a little car. I love sitting down on the sofa and getting poked by a piece of playmobil. I love little fingerprints on the wall and sticky spots of indeterminate origin underfoot. They all mean one thing. Grandchildren.

thunderstorm

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:32 pm
iyar wrote:
What is it with all of you scared of mil finding out that people live at your house? I'm a mil. I've never walked in unexpectedly and I give lots of advance notice before I come over but here's what you should know-
I love walking in and tripping on a little pair of shoes or a little car. I love sitting down on the sofa and getting poked by a piece of playmobil. I love little fingerprints on the wall and sticky spots of indeterminate origin underfoot. They all mean one thing. Grandchildren.

I also don't understand the MIL pressure. My MIL is a neat freak and I'm not as she loves me anyway.
She actually shows up unannounced because she finds excitement in that.
If she is spending time at my house and will be sleeping over she washes my dishes and washes all the laundry. She hates cooking. So when I go to her for Yom Tov or Shabbos I do all the cooking together with my FIL.

amother
Brown

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:44 pm
Why is this so hard to understand? Some of us do have critical ILs and parents who WILL make a fuss and WILL have what to say about our housekeeping. Bully for you that you are/have a MIL who doesn't see the big deal. Many of us are not quite so fortunate.

NovelConcept

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 3:54 pm
My MIL once went through my pots/pans cabinet and reorganized everything while I was taking a nap. I was mortified.

I love to have a nice house ready for hosting guests, but really now, guests should NOT be poking around in cupboards.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 5:15 pm
iyar wrote:

You love them in ds house. Would you love them in yours?

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 5:20 pm
amother wrote:

My MIL once came unannounced from 3 hours away. .

WADR for another mil, that's pretty stupid. Suppose you had taken the kids to the zoo? Or the doctor? Or out for pizza? Please tell me she doesn't have a key to your house.

iyar

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 6:29 pm
zaq wrote:
You love them in ds house. Would you love them in yours?

Yes and no. I don't like dirt so stickiness on the floor in my own house would bother me. Toys on the carpet, animals (not real live ones) poking their noses out from under the sofa or trucks on the kitchen floor don't bother me. Dil thinks she has to get everything put away before she leaves but I don't think that's because she's never seen what a mess can be produced in my house even without the help of her children.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 6:46 pm
iyar wrote:

This is not specifically about it being my MIL. She doesn't criticize anything ever. I would have been equally embarrassed had it been anyone else.

And just to give you some idea of what it's like around here, my sofa can't be sat on without prior notice since it's always piled high with laundry. embarrassed

amother
Beige

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 6:48 pm
If you're coming to see us, welcome Smile
If you're coming to see our house, make an appt :p

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 6:48 pm
zaq wrote:
WADR for another mil, that's pretty stupid. Suppose you had taken the kids to the zoo? Or the doctor? Or out for pizza? Please tell me she doesn't have a key to your house.

No way does she have a key to our house. But she knows I'm usually home at that time of day, so I guess she figured it was worth the risk so she could surprise us.

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 7:05 pm
amother wrote:
Um, paper and stickers???

While I was making a quick supper ( like, grilled cheese) my 2 year old filled the dolly's bathtub with soapy water (on her own bed)....dried dolly with toilet paper (left all over) and chucked her peppers out the window.

I WISH paper and stickers!!

Cutie!
yeah, I forgot about the toilet paper that my son loves shlepping all around the house & some other random items. come visit and see for yourself Smile

but it depends. sometimes its worse. depends on kids ages also.
personally, right now were in between stages. my son still likes raiding the closets & some other 'troubles' but he's 3 now so its definitely easier. & my baby is not into the mess making mode really. she's starting, but she's mostly contained in her room so its just her clothing & toys that get dumped on the floor.
my older kids make a big mess but its mostly toys & paper related though.

zaq

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 7:11 pm
amother wrote:
No way does she have a key to our house. But she knows I'm usually home at that time of day, so I guess she figured it was worth the risk so she could surprise us.

Golly. She risks a three hour trip (six hours round trip) on an assumption that you’ll be home? She must have a lot of time on her hands, or really love driving. May I ask—is there some other attraction where you live? Is it like Lakewood, if you’re not home mil would go shopping and stock up on kosher food, Judaica and other stuff she can’t easily get back home? Or like LA where she could hit the tourist traps and high-end shopping district? does she have other family and friends there whom she could visit if you were out?

I wouldn’t even go to visit next door without verifying that they’re home and able to have company. “Hi Shana? It’s Chana. I finished that book ‘Why do I say kugel when I mean tzimmes?’ that you wanted to borrow. l Is now a good time for me to drop it off? “

Sunny Days

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 7:11 pm
I rather my mother in law come (announced or unannounced) then my mom.
my mom will criticize me for clutter & my mil won't even notice Smile
I have the best mil!

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 7:32 pm
zaq wrote:
Golly. She risks a three hour trip (six hours round trip) on an assumption that you’ll be home? She must have a lot of time on her hands, or really love driving. May I ask—is there some other attraction where you live? Is it like Lakewood, if you’re not home mil would go shopping and stock up on kosher food, Judaica and other stuff she can’t easily get back home? Or like LA where she could hit the tourist traps and high-end shopping district? does she have other family and friends there whom she could visit if you were out?

I wouldn’t even go to visit next door without verifying that they’re home and able to have company. “Hi Shana? It’s Chana. I finished that book ‘Why do I say kugel when I mean tzimmes?’ that you wanted to borrow. l Is now a good time for me to drop it off? “
''

Not quite. We live pretty out of town. She lives much closer to town and occasionally brings us things that we can't get here. There is nothing for her to find here except us.

amother
Indigo

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 7:33 pm
I unfortunately always worry about the house looking tip-top. When I had a bunch of little kids very close in age it was so hard to stay on top of. Worked full time also. And oblivious dh. My secret was to tell whoever popped in that I was sorry the house was such a mess—- but in reality I had usually just finished cleaning it! I suppose I’m the product of a critical parent.

Cheiny

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 10:19 pm
amother wrote:
Op, I have the same problem.
I care and I’m very embarrassed when people come over and the house is messy and cluttered .
I wish my house wouldn’t get so bad or that at least I didn’t care.
It’s a big deal when I’m having guests.

I feel the same way. Especially when I see how clean, uncluttered and neat other people’s homes see to always be! How do they do it? A day after the cleaning lady leaves, it’s flying all over again!!!

ora_43

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:41 am
The way I see it, we all have our tafkid in life. And mine is to make my friends feel better about their house-keeping skills in comparison Wink .
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics