Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Embarrassing hobbies you won't tell anyone about
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Sleepymama

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:35 am
zaq wrote:
Imamother, though I wouldn’t dignify it by calling it a hobby. It’s more of a weakness.

You took the words right out of my mouth. embarrassed

amother
Khaki

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:44 am
I'm in a dynasty fan forum and we discuss the relationships of the different characters lol it's so stupid. My husband always tells me to stop wasting my time on that. But then again he plays league of legends LOL LOL LOL
I also love to pretend one of the stuffed animals in our house is our child. He actually goes along with it and it's hilarious. But I guess to outsiders it would look like we belong in a mental institution embarrassed

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 2:56 am
Sleepymama wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. embarrassed

Remembering music videos probably isn't a hobby either, but

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 2:57 am
zaq wrote:
Imamother, though I wouldn’t dignify it by calling it a hobby. It’s more of a weakness.

It's too early in the day for time to start running backwards!

jewwoman

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 3:06 am
I suck my thumb. More like an addiction than a hobby.

imasoftov

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 3:37 am
jewwoman wrote:
I suck my thumb. More like an addiction than a hobby.

Substance abuse problems are easier to turn into hobbies. I've helped friends make beer and wine, and later helped them distill the wine into spirits because it wasn't very good (still isn't). And of course I have no knowledge about growing prohibited plants, those are tomato plants ...

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:41 am
amother wrote:
Pray tell, what is fanfiction? And where do you publish?

Following...what is Fanfiction????????

amother
Smokey

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:45 am
amother wrote:

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 5:05 am
amother wrote:

Fan fiction is using already-existing characters from books, movies, tv shows, etc. (there is even RPF “real person fic” using the personas of non-fictional people like members of a band) and writing stories about them.

Fan fiction can be canon-compliant, ie keeping to the already established roles and rules of a story, and not contradicting the original work. It can be a “in between scenes we have seen” kind of thing, speculation as to where a particular plot line or relationship is headed, imaginary backstories, etc.

You can invent original characters (OCs) and have them muck about in the fictional world. You can play with character combinations that haven’t gotten time in the canon spotlight, be they romantic, platonic, antagonistic, etc.

You can also go totally off the rails!! Get crazy with your alternate universes and mashups!! What if the characters from Star Wars were Hogwarts students/professors?? What if the characters from Leverage were pirates in the Age of Sail??

Some fan fiction pieces are one-and-done short stories, while other works can be multi-chapter masterpieces that rival actual novels in length.

“Transformative fiction” is a fascinating genre that is frequently misunderstood and looked down on, but there should be no shame in reading or writing it!!

There are fanfic websites specific to particular fandoms like Harry Potter, as well as massive sites like fanfiction.net or Archive of Our Own (AO3) where you can search by fandom, character or character combos, specific tropes you want or want to avoid (like character death), level of maturity (from G-rated and up — yes, some fan fiction is just Pr0n Without Plot), etc.

Last edited by bigsis144 on Thu, Nov 22 2018, 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total

cinnamon

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 5:37 am
Another secret fanfic reader and writer here though I havn't written anything in a few years I still read a lot.
fic writing amothers please share your work.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 5:58 am
imasoftov wrote:
I might not post about all my interests (let's expand this to interests as I wouldn't call being a fan of something a hobby unless it requires something more active than sitting in front of the TV or even going to a stadium) to avoid being identified, there may be a lot of MO women in Jerusalem who can learn Gemara but if you add civil war re-enactor and harpsichord rebuilding (I lied about those) it wouldn't be hard to figure out who I am.

IRL I'm not embarassed by my interests although if you are bored by them I'll find something else to talk about because I realize that you might not be as awesome have other interests yourselfand if I've already said "awesome" (I'm also not embarassed to be a fan of John and Hank Green even though most of their audience much younger than me)

“Nerds like us are allowed to be un-ironically enthusiastic about stuff…nerds are allowed to LOVE stuff, like jump up and down in the chair, can’t control yourself, love it.” -John Green

I love listening to Dear Hank and John!!!

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:03 am
I can’t think of any hobbies, but I can think of interests that could potentially become hobbies.
I really want to learn to fence. Only thing keeping me back so far is prohibitive cost of classes. And yes, when I do do it I probably will keep it a secret. I mentioned to my SIL that I want to do it and her reaction was a look of horror and ,”You wanna KILL people!?”

professor

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:44 am
amother wrote:

Fanfiction is something kids do. That's why its embarrassing for adults to admit to liking it. The first fanfiction I wrote was in 6th grade when my lit teacher told us to "continue" the story of the "gift of the magi" and mine was the best lol

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:47 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
I can’t think of any hobbies, but I can think of interests that could potentially become hobbies.
I really want to learn to fence. Only thing keeping me back so far is prohibitive cost of classes. And yes, when I do do it I probably will keep it a secret. I mentioned to my SIL that I want to do it and her reaction was a look of horror and ,”You wanna KILL people!?”

That’s why I love being involved in theater. You can learn the most random skills (when I got to hire a fight choreographer for a show I worked on I geeked out SO HARD I was practically vibrating into another dimension, and I’ve gotten to build incredible sets and research historical periods for fashion) and it makes some sense to normies Wink

(I have since moved and left that dream job and I miss it so muuuuuuuuch Crying )

professor

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:48 am
imasoftov wrote:
I might not post about all my interests (let's expand this to interests as I wouldn't call being a fan of something a hobby unless it requires something more active than sitting in front of the TV or even going to a stadium) to avoid being identified, there may be a lot of MO women in Jerusalem who can learn Gemara but if you add civil war re-enactor and harpsichord rebuilding (I lied about those) it wouldn't be hard to figure out who I am.

IRL I'm not embarassed by my interests although if you are bored by them I'll find something else to talk about because I realize that you might not be as awesome have other interests yourselfand if I've already said "awesome" (I'm also not embarassed to be a fan of John and Hank Green even though most of their audience much younger than me)

“Nerds like us are allowed to be un-ironically enthusiastic about stuff…nerds are allowed to LOVE stuff, like jump up and down in the chair, can’t control yourself, love it.” -John Green

I love them!! I am also a huge fan of Salman Kahn (been his fan long before he became a whole acafemy)

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 6:55 am
professor wrote:
Fanfiction is something kids do. That's why its embarrassing for adults to admit to liking it. The first fanfiction I wrote was in 6th grade when my lit teacher told us to "continue" the story of the "gift of the magi" and mine was the best lol

You take that back! Surprised

Dante’s Inferno and Milton’s Paradise Lost are just fanfic of the Xtian bible/theology, and they’re Legitimate Literature.

So much of art and music and fiction is derivative of other works (adapting Romeo and Juliet into West Side Story, every re-imagining of a fairy tale, all the Renaissance art of biblical characters...)

Any potential script writer for a tv series is writing “fanfiction” using established characters in new situations. Many legit authors got their start this way.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:19 am
zaq wrote:

Why is it a weakness. I don’t get it

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:21 am
bigsis144 wrote:
You take that back! Surprised

Dante’s Inferno and Milton’s Paradise Lost are just fanfic of the Xtian bible/theology, and they’re Legitimate Literature.

So much of art and music and fiction is derivative of other works (adapting Romeo and Juliet into West Side Story, every re-imagining of a fairy tale, all the Renaissance art of biblical characters...)

Any potential script writer for a tv series is writing “fanfiction” using established characters in new situations. Many legit authors got their start this way.

Fanfic is not the same as using tropes and archetypes

bigsis144

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:27 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
Fanfic is not the same as using tropes and archetypes

None of the examples I gave were of general tropes/archetypes.

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:59 am
I play What Where When and am definitely not embarassed of it.

I am embarassed of how much time I spend on Netflix but that’s not a hobby. A hobby is something active.
Page 2 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics