Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Embarrassing hobbies you won't tell anyone about
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

Ruchel

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:01 pm
I follow so many shows. I do video games. My kids are fed up with Pokemon go but I'm still kinda onto it. I also read fanfiction. No, you'll never know which LOL.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:05 pm
I learn gemara

amother
Lilac

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:20 pm
thunderstorm wrote:
How can someone be ashamed of their hobbies? It's my biggest pride and joy. I let everyone know how much time I spend doing what I love doing instead of doing what I need to do.

Animal rescue. Most frum people (around where I live) think it's nuts. So I keep it to myself, mostly. When people make offensive comments about animals or animal lovers next to me, not realizing that I am one, I make a mental note to myself to keep my distance. When I had lost a beloved pet and was experiencing grief, I had to keep it to myself. It was very hard, and made me feel like there is a an important part of my life that I cannot share with others.

I also enjoy writing realistic fiction, but if I publish under my own name, it may be a problem ( I do want my kids to get married).
Not that I would ever write anything that I would not stand behind, but so many topics in the frum community are off limits. Sigh.

sequoia

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:25 pm
amother wrote:

I also enjoy writing realistic fiction, but if I publish under my own name, it may be a problem ( I do want my kids to get married).
Not that I would ever write anything that I would not stand behind, but so many topics in the frum community are off limits. Sigh.

Well, lots of great writers used pseudonyms. Nothing wrong with that!

ectomorph

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:13 pm
I dont see what's so embarrassing about reading fanfiction I only read the clean stuff there's plenty of it

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:40 pm
It's more of an obsession than a hobby. I collect jewelry. It makes no sense because I can wear different sets every shabbos and not repeat for a year or two, and I don't wear good jewelry during the week. It mostly sits in an overstuffed safe because I am embarrassed to be changing jewelry each week.

DallasIma

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 7:54 pm
smileforamile wrote:
I'm a sports fan. I would be embarrassed if my more yeshivish friends knew.

Reminds me of something that happened decades ago when I was a single mom living in Brooklyn. I called in to a sports talk show and discussed my favorite baseball player. The next day my teenage son came home from yeshiva and told me his friends were kidding him about his mother calling in to that show. So then what were THEY doing listening to it? LOL.

amother
Jetblack

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:12 pm
Ravenclaw wrote:
I can’t think of any hobbies, but I can think of interests that could potentially become hobbies.
I really want to learn to fence. Only thing keeping me back so far is prohibitive cost of classes. And yes, when I do do it I probably will keep it a secret. I mentioned to my SIL that I want to do it and her reaction was a look of horror and ,”You wanna KILL people!?”

We learned how to fence in sports class in school, I loved it.

amother
Salmon

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:14 pm
DallasIma wrote:
Reminds me of something that happened decades ago when I was a single mom living in Brooklyn. I called in to a sports talk show and discussed my favorite baseball player. The next day my teenage son came home from yeshiva and told me his friends were kidding him about his mother calling in to that show. So then what were THEY doing listening to it? LOL.

When I was in high school, one of our teachers called into a radio contest on a station we all listened to. She just gave her first name, but many students recognized her voice. And the contest required her to do some distinctive acting... she got ridicule for awhile. It was helpful that people liked her.

amother
Azure

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:08 pm
I have a particular area of research I'm a bit obsessed with. It's not embarrassing by itself, but I'm embarrassed by how much time I spend on it.

Ravenclaw

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:26 pm
amother wrote:
I have a particular area of research I'm a bit obsessed with. It's not embarrassing by itself, but I'm embarrassed by how much time I spend on it.

Nu?

amother
Cerise

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:54 pm
I love recording myself singing and listening to it. I love the way I sing (I was never considered a good singer in school, probably because my low self-esteem). Sometimes I sing along, sing the harmony. Not so embarrassed by it just sort of keep it to myself.

amother
Burlywood

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 12:27 am
I tell people that I take chocolate molds and fill them with plaster to give as gifts for kids to paint. This is true. What I don't tell people is that I always make a few extra for myself to paint. I use 2 cups of plaster for each batch, so it's not so noticeable if I keep a little for myself.

amother
Blonde

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 1:27 am
I bite my toe nails.

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 10:21 am
amother wrote:
I bite my toe nails.

Gross. But I envy your flexibility!

zaq

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 10:24 am
amother wrote:
Why is it a weakness. I don’t get it

Then you are clearly not an imamother addict.

Beingreal

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 10:36 am
I have an adult coloring book I love to color in with music in the background. I feel funny because I feel like I am 5!

amother
Hotpink

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 11:11 am
I listen to a Daf Yomi shiur every day. My husband and kids know about it, but I’d never let my (very yeshivish) family and friends know about it - they’d be horrified (and most likely think I’m going OTD Sad )

BTW - I wish learning were more than a hobby. I’d love to make it a vocation rather than an avocation, but unfortunately that’s not for women [sigh].

animeme

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 11:32 am
Beingreal wrote:
I have an adult coloring book I love to color in with music in the background. I feel funny because I feel like I am 5!

I do this. No shame! It has the word "adult" in the title! And all sorts of research about ways in which it is good for you.

zaq

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 7:39 pm
animeme wrote:
I do this. No shame! It has the word "adult" in the title! And all sorts of research about ways in which it is good for you.

So you would admit to watching “adult” movies?
Page 3 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics