Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Embarrassing hobbies you won't tell anyone about
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next

amother
Fuchsia

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 8:05 pm
zaq wrote:
So you would admit to watching “adult” movies?

Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

animeme

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 8:20 pm
zaq wrote:
So you would admit to watching “adult” movies?

Touche!

I was once playing a "What would you do?" game with the kids. We had found an online version for kids. Somehow, a question ended up in there about if you had ever or would ever read an adult magazine. I was horrified and started to pull the question, when my kid calmly answered that sometimes she looked at the grown up Mishpacha.

Mommyg8

Post Sat, Nov 24 2018, 10:13 pm
So this is really funny - I have a long list of hobbies, and they're pretty much all embarrassing (why can't I have a "normal" hobby like cooking and baking?)

1. I used to knit. I really loved it, and found it very relaxing. I only stopped when I realized that I was literally the only person left in the universe who knitted, there were no stores to buy nice wool or patterns, and it was anyway cheaper to buy almost anything than to knit it Confused .

2. I used to needlepoint. I liked it, but it's not very useful and and didn't really have much time so I stopped. Women used to sit and needlepoint, but they don't anymore.

3. I love to paint-by-number. I know, super embarrassing, I can't, and don't like to actually REALLY paint, I just like to follow the lines. And I'm so good at it! It's really a talent! I don't do it often now, and I haven't finished the last few I started, because who really has time for un-useful hobbies?

4. I still do counted cross stitch. Sometimes. I have one I started about 15 years ago and still plan to finish and I even bought a new one that I'm planning to do embarrassed - it's complicated enough that I don't feel SUPER embarrassed doing it...

5. My main hobby the last bunch of years was reading. That's a pretty normal hobby, but I'm embarrassed by how much time I actually spend on this completely useless activity...

6. Since I got hooked on imamother, I haven't really read as much. Not sure you can call imamother a hobby, tough, for me it's more of an addiction...

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:15 am
I’m super obsessed with reading books and blogs by women whose religions are weird to me... his developed into an interest in cults. For fun, I like to research them and visit cult sites. My DH thinks I’m crazy.

amother
Oak

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:17 am
Quote:
I really want to learn to fence.
Please consult your LOR if you ever think about going ahead. According to many poskim it's prohibited for women to use weapons (I'm thinking that if you live on a yishuv & it's pikuach nefesh it's probably different, but as a sport?)

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:22 am
amother wrote:
I’m super obsessed with reading books and blogs by women whose religions are weird to me... his developed into an interest in cults. For fun, I like to research them and visit cult sites. My DH thinks I’m crazy.

You ever listen to Cults podcast? I do and find it fascinating in a creepy way (though I can’t listen at night or else I have nightmares...)

Ravenclaw

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:23 am
amother wrote:
Quote:
Please consult your LOR if you ever think about going ahead. According to many poskim it's prohibited for women to use weapons (I'm thinking that if you live on a yishuv & it's pikuach nefesh it's probably different, but as a sport?)

Technically you can’t kill anyone with the fencing stick ( don’t know the term for it) so it isn’t a weapon...

anonymrs

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:25 am
bigsis144 wrote:
That’s why I love being involved in theater. You can learn the most random skills (when I got to hire a fight choreographer for a show I worked on I geeked out SO HARD I was practically vibrating into another dimension, and I’ve gotten to build incredible sets and research historical periods for fashion) and it makes some sense to normies Wink

(I have since moved and left that dream job and I miss it so muuuuuuuuch Crying )

Double post

Last edited by anonymrs on Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:27 am; edited 1 time in total

anonymrs

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:26 am
bigsis144 wrote:
That’s why I love being involved in theater. You can learn the most random skills (when I got to hire a fight choreographer for a show I worked on I geeked out SO HARD I was practically vibrating into another dimension, and I’ve gotten to build incredible sets and research historical periods for fashion) and it makes some sense to normies Wink

(I have since moved and left that dream job and I miss it so muuuuuuuuch Crying )

Sounds like a really cool job! Id love to do something like that!

How’d you get into doing that?

amother
Wheat

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:31 am
Ravenclaw wrote:
You ever listen to Cults podcast? I do and find it fascinating in a creepy way (though I can’t listen at night or else I have nightmares...)

YES, although some I have to skip. I felt nauseous listening to the one on the church of Euthenasia. The 12 tribes cult actually has one of their delis a few hours from me and I’ve akways wanted to go have a soda just to see embarrassed

amother
Scarlet

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:34 am
Not sure if I can call this a hobby, but I dance each morning in my bedroom in front of the huge mirror. I never dance in front of my kids or anyone.

I was a star dancer in my school. Once I got married, I just do the morning dancing thing as there is nowhere else for me to perform.. I compose gorgeous steps and perform it for myself in the mirror..

I always think it's the weirdest thing ever.

amother
Apricot

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 1:58 am
It's not embarrassing but different... I LOVEEE freestyle soccer ,when people see a woman with tichel ,skirt and l leggings doing what I can do with a ball they get veryyy surprised Wink

FranticFrummie

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:14 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

I have never heard of this. Since when are women not allowed to defend themselves? Does this apply to martial arts as well?

finallyamommy

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:20 am
I only read the first and last page, but I also read and write way too much fanfiction. I don't let very many people see what I've written.

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:07 am
Genealogy - I don't really care for a lot of my living relatives but I'm obsessed with researching my tree farther back. It takes a lot of detective work and critical thinking skills and solving a problem is so satisfying. Unfortunately I have lately been doing this instead of my actual responsibilities... Like spending all last night on it instead of cleaning up after Shabbos, making something to eat and doing the laundry, oops

SuperWify

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:19 am
amother wrote:

This is me. I can spend hours on YouTube watching documentaries and interviews.

Although I’ve never visited site yet (lev tahor here I come so watch out Twisted Evil ) DH still believes I’m 🥜.

sushilover

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:05 am
amother wrote:
Quote:

Source?

amother
Babypink

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
Not sure if I can call this a hobby, but I dance each morning in my bedroom in front of the huge mirror. I never dance in front of my kids or anyone.

I was a star dancer in my school. Once I got married, I just do the morning dancing thing as there is nowhere else for me to perform.. I compose gorgeous steps and perform it for myself in the mirror..

I always think it's the weirdest thing ever.

I used to do gymnastics instead of housework. I would walk down my hallway on my hands and go to a gym with my tichel in a class full of teens embarrassed Yes

animeme

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:22 pm
I love videos about tiny houses, bus conversions, dorm room makeovers and room tours... anything about organizing small spaces creatively and practically in a personal way.

Miri7

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:57 pm
amother wrote:
I listen to a Daf Yomi shiur every day. My husband and kids know about it, but I’d never let my (very yeshivish) family and friends know about it - they’d be horrified (and most likely think I’m going OTD Sad )

BTW - I wish learning were more than a hobby. I’d love to make it a vocation rather than an avocation, but unfortunately that’s not for women [sigh].

Wow. Kol hakavod.
Page 4 of 6   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  Next Recent Topics