Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Healthy weight loss with Crohns. Maybe TMI, sorry!

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:09 pm
Hi,

I'd really love to lose 15-20 lbs. I have Crohns and constant diarrhea.

When I stick to my diet and eat minimal processed grains and more salads, my bathroom problems are worsened. (Meaning more frequent and looser diarrhea)

I keep going back and forth. When I eat several servings of raw fruits and vegetables for a few days, my urgency gets worse, and then I go back to eating cookies instead of salads.

I don't know if it's a physical craving or just in my head, but when the Crohns symptoms are worsened due to eating lots of produce, I crave cookies and pasta even more!

Any advice?

amother
Burlywood

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:19 pm
Have you been able to try SCD or the new Mass U diet?

Mom23gs

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:19 pm
Have you worked with a nutritionist? I know there are diets that are supposed to be better to follow when you have Crohn's to maximize motion and minimize the gastro distress.

Miri1

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:20 pm
Maybe it's worth seeing a registered dietician.
Also, if it is the full feeling that you're seeking, perhaps you need to have a handful of nuts, or some nut butter.
Try to have some less fibrous foods, low-fat yoghurt, and grains like quinoa, or buckwheat. Soups with cooked veges may be easier on your stomach than raw fruit and veges.

anonymrs

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:41 pm
Check out the scd diet at www.breakingtheviciouscycle.info

amother
Burgundy

Post Wed, Nov 21 2018, 9:43 pm
Thank you.

I've been on the SCD diet several times, twice for nearly a year. It prevented those terrible flairs that come up every few years where I feel like I'm dying, but it never improved my mudpile diarrhea and urgency.

amother
Teal

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:35 am
The Mass U diet cuts out the inflammatory foods, but also incorporates the principle of improving the gut bacteria (which is often out of wack in people with IBD).
I think it is well worth checking it out, it is similar to SCD, but gives you specific foods that are probiotic and prebiotic - they might help with diarrhoea. They also have suggestions of probiotic supplements.
And plenty of recipes - so you don't feel you have to run to the cookies.
You can sign up for emails too.

amother
cornflower

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:11 pm
amother wrote:
Thank you.

I've been on the SCD diet several times, twice for nearly a year. It prevented those terrible flairs that come up every few years where I feel like I'm dying, but it never improved my mudpile diarrhea and urgency.

If it was me, I’d go back on scd and try to see a chiropractor/holistic dr that does kinesiology to test for foods that may be not agreeing with you. Sometimes, there’s a culprit food that holds back the healing.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:28 pm
amother wrote:
If it was me, I’d go back on scd and try to see a chiropractor/holistic dr that does kinesiology to test for foods that may be not agreeing with you. Sometimes, there’s a culprit food that holds back the healing.

I did that a few years ago.

However, there was almost nothing left for me to eat - almost everything he tested me for he said disagreed with me. It was like a quarter of Pesach foods which I could eat. I can't live like that.

behappysk

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:56 pm
Maybe try to have only cooked fruits and vegetables?

pistachio88

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 12:30 am
Following. I also struggle with this.

amother
Lawngreen

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 1:29 am
amother wrote:
I did that a few years ago.

However, there was almost nothing left for me to eat - almost everything he tested me for he said disagreed with me. It was like a quarter of Pesach foods which I could eat. I can't live like that.

I used to think like this then I learned that the foods you are allergic to arent triggers forever. Its a temporary diet. Working with a practitioner will help and you’ll soon be able to reintroduce foods.

Its hard -Im struggling too. Not keeping to the guidelines perfectly. But its not as hard as thinking I’ll have to be so limited forever
( and my food restrictions are for health only. Not weight loss)
Hatzlacha
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise