Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Is this rude?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
Slategray

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:33 pm
I am usually cold. During pregnancy I am always freezing (if it’s not the summer). It’s probably due to not keeping down enough protein. At home, I will bundle up but never raise the thermostat. It wouldn’t be fair to the rest of my family. Same goes for my office. I’m the office manager and silent partner. I’ll wear sweaters / coat as needed but won’t adjust the temperature above the setting - 70. Everyone else is comfortable at 70, so why should they be uncomfortable because of me.

amother
Olive

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:35 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
Being DLKZ, maybe they just wanted the temp up a couple of degrees, but wanted it to get there faster, so they turned it up to the maximum with the intent of turning it back down in 15-20 minutes once they'd gotten to their desired 71 or 72. And then forgot.

It's still rude and I'd never do it at someone else's house, but I do this in my car all the time.

How does turning it up to higher temp setting make it go up faster?

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:35 pm
OOTforlife wrote:
Being DLKZ, maybe they just wanted the temp up a couple of degrees, but wanted it to get there faster, so they turned it up to the maximum with the intent of turning it back down in 15-20 minutes once they'd gotten to their desired 71 or 72. And then forgot.

It's still rude and I'd never do it at someone else's house, but I do this in my car all the time.

Or, they couldn't see what the numbers were, or didn't realize how many times they pressed it. But it's still rude to touch the thermostat without saying something first to your host.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 12:42 pm
What's the purpose of this thread? It doesn't sound like you really have a question. For some readon whenever people ask "is it rude" it's about someone else.
If you're wondering whether this is acceptable behavior when you are a guest I suspect you have the answer.
Next time your guests do something odd maybe start a thread about how to approach them about this behavior.
Sorry, this thread sounds like a bunch of self righteous women patting themselves on the back.
I'm sorry that I'm harsh, I don't mean to bash. And if you were the first poster asking something like this under that title this would never occer to me. I just saw the title and guessed it would be about someone else so I'm talkinh about the Imamother trend not specifically the OP.
Oh and all these temperature are meaningless to me.

Iymnok

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:04 pm
amother wrote:
How does turning it up to higher temp setting make it go up faster?

It doesn’t, but many people don’t know that.

amother
Sapphire

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:11 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
What's the purpose of this thread? It doesn't sound like you really have a question. For some readon whenever people ask "is it rude" it's about someone else.
If you're wondering whether this is acceptable behavior when you are a guest I suspect you have the answer.
Next time your guests do something odd maybe start a thread about how to approach them about this behavior.
Sorry, this thread sounds like a bunch of self righteous women patting themselves on the back.
I'm sorry that I'm harsh, I don't mean to bash. And if you were the first poster asking something like this under that title this would never occer to me. I just saw the title and guessed it would be about someone else so I'm talkinh about the Imamother trend not specifically the OP.
Oh and all these temperature are meaningless to me.

I asked a friend IRL. I was told "gotta let the guests have their way. "

DH said the same thing essentially.

The guest raised the temperature up the same in every zone, so there goes the theory of bad eye sight.

Right now, I want to open every window. By venting here instead of telling off my guest.

causemommysaid

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:21 pm
I disagree with ur husband and friend.

Turn down the heat. 89 isn't normal.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:26 pm
amother wrote:
I asked a friend IRL. I was told "gotta let the guests have their way. "

DH said the same thing essentially.

The guest raised the temperature up the same in every zone, so there goes the theory of bad eye sight.

Right now, I want to open every window. By venting here instead of telling off my guest.

You didn't put it back??

I would just look the guest in the eye and say calmly, Please don't adjust the heat. We need to keep it at [_] temperature, I hope that will be ok. I'm happy to lend you a sweater if you'd like.

amother
Emerald

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 1:40 pm
amother wrote:
A sleeping guest turned up the heat almost 20 degrees.

A friend said you gotta let guests have their way.

Very wrong. He should’ve said he is cold and asked it it’s possible to turn up the heat!

teachkids

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 2:14 pm
If there’s a stand alone unit in the guest room, it’s expected that the guest will adjust as they wish, but otherwise it’s up to the host to make sure it’s comfortable.

amother
Forestgreen

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 2:26 pm
You dont touch a thermostat in someone else's house! If you're cold, let the host know.
OP, hope you turned the heat down.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 4:33 pm
I get cold very fast. One time I needed to ask a host for 6 (!!) Blankets. So I usually always mention that I get very cold and need 2 blankets at least. Makes me hate sleeping somewhere else because usually I end up packing and extra blanket. So sometimes I turned the heat up for the heater in the room I slept in. But I wouldn't heat up the when house..and I always turned it down before I left again

Miri1

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:19 pm
Is anyone else expressing discomfort?
I think this is an unhealthy temperature to keep the house at.

ETA Is it possible your guest is running a fever?

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:10 pm
1) I don't believe the person mistakenly put the thermostat up 20 degrees, because if they had, they too, would be uncomfortably warm now and would want the temperature lowered.
2) It is unbelievably rude to do this. For all the guest knows, your heating system is old or not working at its peak, and doing this could actually break it. Then where would you be?
3) EVERYONE knows that 89 is not a temperature that 999/1000 people keep their home. This person should have made it clear BEFORE coming that they need it to be this hot. Not AFTER they are already in your home.

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:14 pm
Oh, and to the poster who said this thread sounds like a bunch of self righteous women patting themselves on the back - all I can say is HUH?????

ectomorph

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:26 pm
Im usually all about dlkz. But this is unreasonable. You should turn it back down and offer them a sweater if they complain. I'm assuming this isnt your mother or boss that you dont want to offend.

lucky14

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:47 pm
wow. seems like I like it warmer than a lot of you. Mine's set at 78 right now and I'm freezing still.
I'd never change someone else's thermostat though. You bring a sweatshirt and warm socks or just deal with it. I try to remember to bring a small blanket with me just in case.

If you feel weird saying something to them about it you can just leave a post-it-note on the thermostat saying "please do not change temperate settings"

amother
Burgundy

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:50 pm
lucky14: I hope u don't mind my asking but if you are cold at 78 degrees, what temperature do you keep your home in the summer?

cozyblanket

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:55 pm
OP, maybe I am not such a gracious hostess, but if my whole family was uncomfortable because a guest turned our thermostat up 20 degrees, I would just go turn it back down. If they did it again, I would have to ask them to communicate their needs before touching the thermostat.

What kind of relationship do you have with him?

studying_torah

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 11:11 pm
I like that a poster named cozy blanket replied here Wink
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics