Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
To eat the lettuce or not to eat

professor

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:06 pm
Will you eat Bodek or Positive lettuce? If they wash it 3 times? Is it safe?

bargainlover

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:18 pm
Yes both companies put out statements it's safe to eat

ROFL

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:20 pm
I would not eat them. Not worth it if they are contaminated.
I also wonder how the CDC says all romaine is bad - but only the kosher brands are ok???

thunderstorm

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:21 pm
I don't trust that they are good. Just because they said doesn't mean anything. Of course they will say it. They don't want to lose business.
I just purchased iceberg lettuce for now until the CDC says it's ok to eat romaine again.

zaq

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:31 pm
I wouldn’t.

Cheiny

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 8:45 pm
ROFL wrote:
I would not eat them. Not worth it if they are contaminated.
I also wonder how the CDC says all romaine is bad - but only the kosher brands are ok???

Bodek states that because they’re grown in hothouses they’re not subject to the same problem as the others...

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:30 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Bodek states that because they’re grown in hothouses they’re not subject to the same problem as the others...

I think you might be mistaken. Positive said that. Bodek said they sent theirs to lab

tweety1

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 9:31 pm
professor wrote:
Will you eat Bodek or Positive lettuce? If they wash it 3 times? Is it safe?

Washing I heard, doesn't help the problem. That's what the news was saying.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 22 2018, 10:02 pm
Stores are usually really careful. If they haven't pulled them, I think it might be ok. I still think I'd pass on it for a while.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 3:45 am
I don't have fresh Bodek lettuce in any store near me. I usually buy locally grown romaine lettuce and wash it carefully. But that's to check for bugs; washing doesn't get rid of e. coli. For now, I am switching to hydroponic butter lettuce. It is much more expensive unfortunately.

More generally, I am concerned that the frankly disgusting practices of agribusiness -- including using contaminated water to irrigate fields -- have the potential to contaminate many types of produce. There have been cases, for example, of cantaloupes that are contaminated with e. coli. That's not a problem for produce that is cooked. But we eat plenty that is raw, including melons, peppers, and cucumbers.

Ruchel

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 4:35 am
I would only refrain from it if it was local to me.

ra_mom

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 6:49 am
JoyInTheMorning wrote:
I don't have fresh Bodek lettuce in any store near me. I usually buy locally grown romaine lettuce and wash it carefully. But that's to check for bugs; washing doesn't get rid of e. coli. For now, I am switching to hydroponic butter lettuce. It is much more expensive unfortunately.

More generally, I am concerned that the frankly disgusting practices of agribusiness -- including using contaminated water to irrigate fields -- have the potential to contaminate many types of produce. There have been cases, for example, of cantaloupes that are contaminated with e. coli. That's not a problem for produce that is cooked. But we eat plenty that is raw, including melons, peppers, and cucumbers.

Who said anything about contaminated water? What about fertilizer made from animal feces?

Iymnok

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 7:05 am
Excuse my ignorance, but why not red leaf or loose leaf? They are pretty and easy to check.

JoyInTheMorning

Post Fri, Nov 23 2018, 2:14 pm
Fertilizer has been made from feces for thousands of years. (That's what manure is.) I would have to look this up to be sure, but I thought I had read that over time, bacteria that are harmful to humans decay, so if fertilizer is used in a field, and enough time passes before the produce is harvested, there shouldn't be a problem, other than the yuck factor.

However, if contaminated water -- and I'm talking about water that includes runoff from livestock animals -- is used throughout the growing process, and even after harvesting, those bacteria are alive and thriving on the produce you are eating.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars