Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Chanukah
Free Chanukah gifts??
1  2  3  Next

amother
Taupe

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:52 am
Is there a place I can sign up to get free Chanukah gifts for my kids? Ages 3 and 6 both girls. We’re living paycheck to paycheck and can barely afford extras. Every year Chanukah is very difficult as all their cousins come and show off or talk about the amazing gifts they received... it breaks my heart that we’re not in a place to give that to them. I would love for them to get at least one thing if anyone knows if something like this exists please let me know. Thank you

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:56 am
Where are you located? My son's school is collecting toys.

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:09 am
amother wrote:
Is there a place I can sign up to get free Chanukah gifts for my kids? Ages 3 and 6 both girls. We’re living paycheck to paycheck and can barely afford extras. Every year Chanukah is very difficult as all their cousins come and show off or talk about the amazing gifts they received... it breaks my heart that we’re not in a place to give that to them. I would love for them to get at least one thing if anyone knows if something like this exists please let me know. Thank you

Where do you live? If you are not far from me, I will be happy to get them a gift or two.

Feel free to PM if you do not want to disclose your location publicly.

I give you a Bracha that soon bh your situation will improve.

amother
Amethyst

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:13 am
This post made me cry. We are in a similar situation as DH recently lost his job and we can't even pay bills right now. I know my kids will miss out this Chanukah but I don't know where to turn.

I hope you get stuff for your children. Your brave for reaching out. Happy Chanukah.

bestme

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:53 am
I am sorry I dont know anybody that gives out gifts. This is not what you asked however,
You could write a fancy card that for a channuka gift you are taking them to the park .
On channuka you could bundle the kids up and take them to the park. You could bring along hot chocolate and marshmallows. They might enjoy the outing as a gift.

Is there a local chabad near you? Then you could check if they are doing a public menorah lighting program. I am not chabad and I take my kids to the local chabad menorah lighting because my kids love it.

Your kids might enjoy the outings as a gift.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time and I hope by next year channuka you will be very wealthy and be able to give everyone that needs it channuka gifts.

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:14 am
Please PM me.

A_Mother_First

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:50 am
bestme wrote:
I am sorry I dont know anybody that gives out gifts. This is not what you asked however,
You could write a fancy card that for a channuka gift you are taking them to the park .
On channuka you could bundle the kids up and take them to the park. You could bring along hot chocolate and marshmallows. They might enjoy the outing as a gift.

Is there a local chabad near you? Then you could check if they are doing a public menorah lighting program. I am not chabad and I take my kids to the local chabad menorah lighting because my kids love it.

Your kids might enjoy the outings as a gift.

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time and I hope by next year channuka you will be very wealthy and be able to give everyone that needs it channuka gifts.

This. Some years when we could not afford much, the gift was staying at home with our children and letting them choose games / crafts to play with together. Then, we would give them our undivided attention for a strech of a time after lighting the candles, and spend time as a family playing games / doing crafts/ baking. In today's busy world and hectic times, this may be the most beautiful gift of all. How many times parents get their kids expensive toys, and do not even have the time to read the instuctions with them or put them together?

You can buy very inexpensive crafts / games in stores such as Amazing savings and spend the time putting them together / playing. As a rule over the years, we de-emphasized the role of gifts during Chanukah. We feel that giving gifts on Chanukah is really not a Jewish Minhag. It is as though we are chalila mimicking xmas, or even outdoing it: We are going to show them! Not one night; not one gift. But rather eight nights; eight gifts! Ha!

The fact that their cousins get fancier stuff: There would always be relatives and friends with more expensive things in life: A nicer and newer car, a more updated kitchen, faraway vacations. If we teach them from a young age to be content with what they have, they will grow up to be satisfied, happy individuals. Your kids will be as happy (or chalila as miserable) as they sense that you are. They take the lead from you. Act with conviction that all is well, and their holiday will be very special, regardless of finnacial circumstances.

Having said all of that, as I mentioned before, I am happy to help in whatever small way I can if we live in the same area. And just a thought: Just recently, several members on this board shared openly that they are BH quite wealthy. So we have both extremes here: Mothers who have more than what they need, and other mothers who are really struggling with basics. Perhaps someone has an idea how to put the two together and have mothers who are willing to donate some gifts connect with those who are not having such an easy time this year. I am willing to do my share. Let's show ourselves that we can be more than just a bunch of opinionated mothers, and can actually walk the walk.

Last edited by A_Mother_First on Sun, Nov 25 2018, 11:20 am; edited 1 time in total

amother
Tangerine

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:54 am
Perhaps a local tzedakah org

seeker

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 11:06 am
Where do you live, both amothers? You can pm if you want. My kids have been very "gifted" lately and it would be perfect to have someone to share with. Close ages too.

Simple1

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 11:12 am
At that age, you can probably get away with cheap gifts. Five below has some fun things, if you can squeeze that into your budget. Hope things get better for you!

amother
Yellow

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:03 pm
When I was in that positiion I got nice toys for my kids in exchage for writing a reveiw after. It's really easy - you just need an Amazon account and need to write 2-3 sentences about the toys after you try them out. If your interested I can give you the name of the 2 websites I used that offered this.

*** I'm aware that there is some controversy in doing this, please do not derail this thread to talk about whether it's ok or not (your welcome to do so in a new one Smile )

Rosemarie

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:25 pm
Wal-Mart and Amazon both had games fr $5-10 on black Friday. Maybe you can fit one or 2 games into your budget.

amother
Slategray

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:28 pm
Where are you located? I don't mind sending your kids something small. Can't promise fancy but a game or two.

That said, make memories! Have a snowball fight, call the nearest Chabad and go hand out menorahs, play dreidel with funny missions... The possibilities are endless Wink

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 12:30 pm
amother wrote:
This post made me cry. We are in a similar situation as DH recently lost his job and we can't even pay bills right now. I know my kids will miss out this Chanukah but I don't know where to turn.

I hope you get stuff for your children. Your brave for reaching out. Happy Chanukah.

Not free, but you can get great toys and games for very cheap inAmazing Savings.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 1:50 pm
Can I please send you some gifts for your kids? Buying toys is an addiction of mine. Especially when I see all the amazing sales now. Please let me!

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:37 pm
amother wrote:

I would love to send something. can I? Smile

amother
Silver

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:39 pm
amother wrote:

I would love to send something. can I? Smile

cnc

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 3:20 pm
amother wrote:

Please PM me

bargainlover

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 3:22 pm
amother wrote:
When I was in that positiion I got nice toys for my kids in exchage for writing a reveiw after. It's really easy - you just need an Amazon account and need to write 2-3 sentences about the toys after you try them out. If your interested I can give you the name of the 2 websites I used that offered this.

*** I'm aware that there is some controversy in doing this, please do not derail this thread to talk about whether it's ok or not (your welcome to do so in a new one Smile )

Can you please pm or share the websites ? I'd love to do it!

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:24 pm
Mi K'Amcha Yisrael
It is heartwarming to see people offering to share!
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics