Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Old car died - what should we do now?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:32 pm
My nearly-20-year-old car just stopped, and we're pretty sure it's the transmission. With all the maintenance we keep needing to put into it, I don't think it's worth fixing at this point. The question is, where should we go from here?

We're not in the best financial position, though we're managing. We have a young toddler and an infant.

From what I understand, these are our options:
1) lease a car. I don't like this idea because you end up paying a fortune in damages at the end of the lease. I am not the world's best driver, and my DH hasn't even passed his road test yet. That means the chances of damage are even greater. One of the things I like about my current car is that I don't care if it gets dinged or dented or loses paint--it's just another one to add to the list.
2) lease a used car
3) finance a used car - I don't know if we have the money to do that.

I am located in Brooklyn, NY. Any ideas? I'd prefer a car that won't cost a fortune in maintenance.

elisheva25

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 2:36 pm
What about buying affordable used car ?

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 3:26 pm
elisheva25 wrote:
What about buying affordable used car ?

Any leads?

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:19 pm
amother wrote:
Any leads?

Your options are limited. Buying a good used car will not be cheap and you’ve still got a used car which will need repairs and maintenance. Leasing a new car means no repairs at all but a few hundred dollars a month to lease. Buying a cheap used car will mean having the same problems you have now. As far as I can see , those are your only options.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:50 pm
I would lease a cheap car. And get a damage waiver.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:50 pm
amother wrote:

What's a damage waiver?
Is it easy to get it?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:01 pm
amother wrote:
What's a damage waiver?
Is it easy to get it?

Lots of companies offer a damage waiver when you take out the lease usually you pay like $500 and it will cover $5000 worth of damage at the end of your lease.

amother
Ecru

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:26 pm
amother wrote:

Any ideas of where to lease a cheap car?

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:34 pm
amother wrote:

Call around. You can usually lease Smaller cars like a Nissan Sentra for about 150-175 per month. There are other deals also out there. I have used leasing direct or Allstate leasing in the past.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:36 pm
amother wrote:

Damage waiver does not cover everything which I just found out..,they ways get you somehow.

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:37 pm
amother wrote:

I use Ms. Pinson at WHEELS TO LEASE. Very honest.

amother
Natural

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:37 pm
Cheiny wrote:
Damage waiver does not cover everything which I just found out..,they ways get you somehow.

Always covered for me but maybe I didn't have that much damage....

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:40 pm
Cheiny wrote:

Can you elaborate?

amother
Pearl

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:49 pm
We have always been successful BH in financing used cars. However, my dh is knowledgeable about cars and has a good sense of when it's a good buy and when it's not. Is there anyone in your family or a friend who can help you out with that?

Cheiny

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 8:58 pm
amother wrote:
Can you elaborate?

My lease is almost up, I brought the car in for inspection, they tell me I’ll have to pay 100-150 for a very small scratch, even though I have the waiver! They always manage to get you.

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:05 pm
Cheiny wrote:
My lease is almost up, I brought the car in for inspection, they tell me I’ll have to pay 100-150 for a very small scratch, even though I have the waiver! They always manage to get you.

Wow!

real israeli

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:11 pm
My experience was that the damage waver did fully cover all the charges they came up with. They did charge over $100 for every scratch they found but the waiver covered that

amother
Chocolate

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:12 pm
real israeli wrote:
My experience was that the damage waver did fully cover all the charges they came up with. They did charge over $100 for every scratch they found but the waiver covered that

Which place?
We're you otherwise satisfied with their service?

nicole81

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 9:27 pm
I've only ever bought used cars, from a cheapity cheap sedan when I was a single mom, to a minivan with 100k+ miles on it that's still going strong after 5 years of heavy use BH, to a one year old car in excellent condition, practically off the lot but without the price of buying new.

I always buy from s auto sales, as he's a family friend and very trustworthy. My mom has also bought a couple of cars from him throughout the years.

He has cars in all price ranges. He buys from the auctions too so if you let him know your price range, he will search everything available and give you options. He has a
mechanic shop and gives all cars a full workup before he sells them. He also finances his cars, if you need that.

Financially speaking, leasing is always the worst option. I'd say to buy the best used car you can afford. Or I guess finance one.

I can give you the cell number of the owner of s auto sales if you pm me.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries