Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
S/o - Learning Gemara
1  2  3  4  Next

Do you learn gemara?
I look up gemaras mentioned in Rashi on parsha (yeshivish).  
 10%  [ 8 ]
I look up gemaras relevant to what I'm teaching (yeshivish).  
 9%  [ 7 ]
I went to MO schools, learned then, try to learn now sometimes.  
 6%  [ 5 ]
Went to MO schools, now yeshivish, learn secretly.  
 1%  [ 1 ]
Went to Chabad schools, learn gemara sometimes.  
 12%  [ 9 ]
I keep up with daf yomi (MO).  
 4%  [ 3 ]
I keep up with daf yomi (yeshivish).  
 2%  [ 2 ]
I keep up with daf yomi (Chabad).  
 0%  [ 0 ]
Other  
 52%  [ 38 ]
Total Votes : 73

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 5:00 pm
I saw a couple of ladies mentioned that their 'embarassing' or secret hobby is learning gemara & though it'd be interesting to see how many others here participate.

Feel free to elaborate, sorry there's not room for unlimited poll choices, maybe someone wants to create a survey monkey poll?

I started trying to do daf yomi, made it through Berachos & Shabbos (but not on schedule). DH suggested I do easier stuff so now learning Megillah but I often miss days when too busy/tired.

(I grew up MO & learned gemara for about 5 years in school, now yeshivish).

amother
Seagreen

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:43 pm
You left out the option that I and many members would choose - I don't learn Gemara.

amother
Khaki

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:49 pm
I'm.part of a Daf Shavua What'sApp group that just started with a 10,minute shiur 5 days a week that covers one daf a week. We started with megila. There is a related What'sApp discussion group where members ask questions, give answers and generally discuss what they learn. All the people discussing the gemara a men. It's extremely interesting.

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 6:56 pm
woman should not learn gemara. It is certainly not appropriate and possibly outright assur. Sorry, that's the halacha!

amother
Burlywood

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:05 pm
What’s if you do homework with your kid?

amother
Cyan

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:09 pm
amother wrote:
woman should not learn gemara. It is certainly not appropriate and possibly outright assur. Sorry, that's the halacha!

Assur? Confused

sequoia

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:09 pm
In MO schools boys and girls have the same curriculum, including gemara.

Unfortunately I did not receive a Jewish education.

Raisin

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:10 pm
I learnt some gemara in Seminary. I use gemara as sources for classes I give occasionally. Thanks Artscroll for making it so easy!

amother
Brown

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 7:39 pm
I believe r'eliezer in mishnayos sotah says a woman shouldn't even learnTorah. The rambam paskens like him. I don't think we have the right to pick and choose what we like. This is a mishna.

MitzadSheini

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 8:23 pm
amother wrote:
I believe r'eliezer in mishnayos sotah says a woman shouldn't even learnTorah. The rambam paskens like him. I don't think we have the right to pick and choose what we like. This is a mishna.

There are different opinions. And eilu veilu diveei Elokim Chayim. Truly.

But the irony of a woman trying to quote a Mishnah to prove that a woman shouldn't learn even Torah (shbichtav) was just... Well it's left me speechless.

gold21

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 8:32 pm
I learn with my boys when needed

I've actually picked up a lot of Gemara lingo lol

amother
Blonde

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 10:18 pm
I know there's an opinion that a man should not teach his daughter Torah, which is usually assumed to mean Talmud. If you can find me a source that a woman can't learn on her own, I will be quite shocked.

(Feel free to ask a man for a source : )

There were a few famous women who taught men, though their names escape me at the moment.

The point of other is not NONE, it's a poll of how many learn gemara.

amother
Mustard

Post Sun, Nov 25 2018, 11:26 pm
amother wrote:

It does not say anywhere that a woman should not learn gemara. It only says a father should not teach his daughter(s). There are many different interpretations, including but not limited to:
*it only applies to daughters, but not girls/women in general,
*it applies to forcing teaching on young daughters, but if a girl/woman shows interest on her own, (I.e. she initiates) it’s OK,
*that many women have no interest/aptitude and therefore turn it into tiflus, but if a girl/woman shows interest/aptitude, she removes herself from the category of those who turn it into tiflus . . .

I’m the one who wrote in about Daf yomi being my hobby. My husband actually got a psak from a recognized gadol that he should learn (gemara) with me, and we do so on a regular basis. I also listen daily to Rabbi Shalom Rosner’s Daf yomi on OU website and via podcasts. (When possible, I follow along in the gemara, as well.j.

It’s attitudes like the one above, that keep me from letting my very yeshivish family and friends know anything about it . . . Sad.

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 12:16 am
amother wrote:

Wave Wave Seas....

Care to quote a source..

I will.. Sotah 2b

Kol Hamalamed es Bito Torah c-ilo melamed tiflus

1) its not osur .. its like tiflus... most women I know are involved in actual tiflus (at least lfi Rashi)

2) Many Rishonim hold this only applied when Torah Shel B Peh was taught b mesora before being written down due to ais lasois

3) A girl buying an Art Scroll Gamarra or app IS NOT HER FATHER TEACHING HEr

Reb Yosef Ber Soloveitchik held it was 100% mutar and desirable

The Lub Rebbe held it was a good thing in todays world where women get advanced secular degrees

manhattan mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 12:52 am
I went to a Jewish non orthodox school and enjoy learning Gemara when I have time. I too am a Rabbi Rosner listener. After hearing some of the stuff discussed related to men/women/sensitive topics I wouldn’t want to sit in a Daf shiur with men from my community.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:08 am
amother wrote:

How do you know it's the halacha?

etky

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:29 am
I attended MO schools and learned gemara as a regular subject (although girls learned at a much slower pace and covered way less ground than the boys) from 6th through 12th grade. It's possible that we might have studied mishna during one of the HS years instead of gemara. It was long ago and I don't remember if it was in addition to it or instead.
I hadn't studied gemara in a serious way since then and it's been bothering me lately that I've forgotten so much. So a few months ago I started attending a weekly women's shiur and I'm enjoying it.
I'm finding out that it's a bit like riding a bicycle: it's a skill that comes back to you.

imasoftov

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:30 am
naturalmom5 wrote:
Sotah 2b

Actually 21b ...

BTW, I'm not telling anyone to click on that link without getting a heter. but if they did, they might find that R Eliezer forbids teaching Torah to one's daughter, while Ben Azai says one should.

DrMom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:35 am
It's absurd to suggest that females are biologically incapable of mastering gemara when there are obviously accomplished females in secular law, engineering, medicine, physics, psychology, etc.

Ruchel

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:24 am
Even the most modern school here won't learn Gemara. Sport may be coed and prayer and dress code optional but the little gemara class will be for boys only. True fact. So no, and while it is not shameful at all, I don't feel the need or desire to learn inside. I actually love not having to and dread the day it will make me shvach.
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics