Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Hair and make up prices around the world
Previous  1  2

amother
Peach

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:42 pm
I got married 3 years ago in Jerusalem. I paid NIS 1500 (~$400) for my hair and makeup. This included a few lash extensions and the pre-wedding trial. The person I used was highly trained, uses high quality tools and make up and is amazing. I was very happy with how she listened to me and what I wanted. I looked and felt so beautiful on my wedding day and she was worth every shekel.

ETA: Brides are always more. I know she does not charge that much for a non-bride.

Raisin

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:47 pm
amother wrote:
We charge because we trained to do our job.
We charge because our time is $$.
We charge because it’s physical labor doing hair & makeup.
We charge because we are doing a job.
We charge because the market will pay us.
We charge because the tool & products we use are expensive.
I could go on but I think I made my point.

Like In every insdustry there are different levels of service & products. Everything comes in cheaper versions & more expensive ones.

How long is the training, and how long does it take you do the hair and make up of a kallah that you (or other make up artists) charge $600 for?

I am paying a therapist (one who is highly in demand) who studied for (I would think) 4 or more years for her degree about $100 for 45 minutes. I cannot imagine a make up artist spends 4 years studying, but maybe I am wrong. Obviously a make up artist uses expensive make up but she doesn't use an entire tube of make up or lipstick on one client. Lets say she uses $50 worth of make up and spends 2 hours in total doing hair and make up on a kallah. That is still over $225 per hour.

JMO I think a lot of this excessive pricing is driven by social media.

karat

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:52 pm
Yes, a good Instagram account is very effective, but there’s also the mazel factor.
Some artists get a good name and will be sought after even when they raise their prices, while others will struggle to get customers at any price.

amother
Cyan

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:55 pm
These prices are all absurd. And I know of many kallahs who spent so much and in the end, didn't like how they looked in photos because they were too made up/not natural.

Personally, I got married over 20 years ago and I did my own hair and makeup. And no, I had no training whatsoever and there were no youtube videos back then! And I was only pretty. Certainly not beautiful or gorgeous. Who cares?! My husband didn't! I did my makeup the same as I would have done if I went to a friend's wedding. I spent a few more minutes than I normally would have, that's all. My hair was my normal hair style. I had a pretty veil. Why would I want to detract from that?!

I can think of a lot of other things to do with several hundred dollars. And I hope I don't offend anyone by saying this, but I hope that money given to kallahs to help make their weddings, is not spent on hair and makeup.

karat

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 12:59 pm
flapsmom wrote:
I'm sure there are those that are cheaper but as far as supply- I feel like there are at least a dozen new makeup artists each year and still we were quoted at least $100/face (not including lashes) by the EIGHT different makeup artists we called. As soon as one raises their price everyone else says, hey! If she can charge... then I can too!

Did you get a price quote from someone who’s newly trained or not well-known?

tichellady

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:18 pm
flapsmom wrote:
I'm sure there are those that are cheaper but as far as supply- I feel like there are at least a dozen new makeup artists each year and still we were quoted at least $100/face (not including lashes) by the EIGHT different makeup artists we called. As soon as one raises their price everyone else says, hey! If she can charge... then I can too!

So use someone outside the frum community

amother
Seagreen

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:32 pm
amother wrote:
So companies that make luxury items or provide luxury services shouldn’t charge more for their products or services?
The more expensive hair & makeup artists are a luxury of you can’t afford it don’t use them. Use someone who is in your price range.

What about the makeup artist puts her at the same league as a luxury handbag/car/clothes/fill in the blank?

I’m genuinely asking.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:40 pm
Raisin wrote:
How long is the training, and how long does it take you do the hair and make up of a kallah that you (or other make up artists) charge $600 for?

I am paying a therapist (one who is highly in demand) who studied for (I would think) 4 or more years for her degree about $100 for 45 minutes. I cannot imagine a make up artist spends 4 years studying, but maybe I am wrong. Obviously a make up artist uses expensive make up but she doesn't use an entire tube of make up or lipstick on one client. Lets say she uses $50 worth of make up and spends 2 hours in total doing hair and make up on a kallah. That is still over $225 per hour.

JMO I think a lot of this excessive pricing is driven by social media.

It’s a lot of $$ but if people are will to pay her then why shouldn’t she charge it? Not everyone charges so much. In every field you have a range of prices. Cars, homes, travel, medical care.... for some what they get for the higher cost is important so they pay it. Others feel it’s a waste for them so they hire the lower priced artists. No one is being forced to hire the expensive artists.
I agree with you that social media is driving a lot of this.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:44 pm
amother wrote:
What about the makeup artist puts her at the same league as a luxury handbag/car/clothes/fill in the blank?

I’m genuinely asking.

You need to ask the people who hire her & pay her that question. To them it’s a luxury worth the higher cost. Otherwise she wouldn’t be charging so much.

essie14

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 1:50 pm
Have any of you never experienced service providers who charge different prices? Who cares what it's based on?
There are house cleaners in my area who charge 50 shekel an hour and some who charge 60. If I have a good cleaner who I like and she charges 60, I'll pay it. If I don't want to pay it, I'll find someone who will do it cheaper. She may or may not do as good a job. But I can make that decision.

If I want breakfast I can :
1. Go to the makolet and buy some eggs, scramble them in my kitchen
2. Go to an inexpensive cafe and order breakfast - let's say it will cost 3x as much as me making it myself
3. Go to a nice sit down restaurant and order eggs and it will cost 6x as much as me making it myself

I do all these things at different times, depending on what I am in the mood for and if I am meeting other people, etc.

Why is hair & makeup any different? Sometimes I do my own makeup and sometimes I want it done professionally. Depending on the occasion, I can choose to use a new make up artist who is still in training or I can choose to use a more established make up artist who I might feel does better work.
No kallah is forced to get her make up done professionally, and every kallah is free to choose a make up artist at a price she is willing to pay.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 2:46 pm
essie14 wrote:
Have any of you never experienced service providers who charge different prices? Who cares what it's based on?
There are house cleaners in my area who charge 50 shekel an hour and some who charge 60. If I have a good cleaner who I like and she charges 60, I'll pay it. If I don't want to pay it, I'll find someone who will do it cheaper. She may or may not do as good a job. But I can make that decision.

2. Go to an inexpensive cafe and order breakfast - let's say it will cost 3x as much as me making it myself
3. Go to a nice sit down restaurant and order eggs and it will cost 6x as much as me making it myself

I do all these things at different times, depending on what I am in the mood for and if I am meeting other people, etc.

Why is hair & makeup any different? Sometimes I do my own makeup and sometimes I want it done professionally. Depending on the occasion, I can choose to use a new make up artist who is still in training or I can choose to use a more established make up artist who I might feel does better work.
No kallah is forced to get her make up done professionally, and every kallah is free to choose a make up artist at a price she is willing to pay.

For some reason when it comes to certain products & services people can’t understand this.

amother
Powderblue

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 3:12 pm
In Germany it's 60-80 euros makeup and same for hair. Obviously depends where you go. Could probably get cheaper at some Turkish place

Ruchi

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:17 pm
amother wrote:
In Brooklyn and monsey the price for a kalla's hair and face can range from $600-$3,000.

up to $3,000??
That's insane. Are they doing a facial reconstruction - plastic surgery????? Surprised Surprised

amother
Purple

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:34 pm
I got married 4.5 years ago, and I used a non Jewish makeup artist who isn’t known at all in the frum circles, and we paid $170 for bridal makeup including lashes, and 85 per face for everyone else, plus 25 each of they wanted lashes... so it isn’t just a frum thing.
For other recent weddings I’ve paid 85-100 average (Lakewood), and also have found a couple of more inexperienced girls who do a prettt good job who charge $45, so anyone could choose to use them if they don’t want to pay for the more sought after makeup artists.

amother
Babypink

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:45 pm
The make up artists I understand, because having to replenish makeup costs money. Also they have a more tedious and time consuming job.
The hairstylists on the other hand are disgracefully overpriced. Once they purchase their curling iron and blow dryer there are no other expenses. And they're done lickety-split.
Imo, they're gonna have to answer to God after 120... causing unnecessary expense and aggravation on a kallah's wedding day.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 4:57 pm
amother wrote:
The make up artists I understand, because having to replenish makeup costs money. Also they have a more tedious and time consuming job.
The hairstylists on the other hand are disgracefully overpriced. Once they purchase their curling iron and blow dryer there are no other expenses. And they're done lickety-split.
Imo, they're gonna have to answer to God after 120... causing unnecessary expense and aggravation on a kallah's wedding day.

Wow I’m speechless!!!

karat

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 5:29 pm
amother wrote:

They’re both getting paid for their time and expertise. And they’re not a gemach, they’re in business to make a profit.
Also the popular makeup artists and hairstylists may be making big money for a few years, but then they’re upended by younger, more up to date professionals, and their big money making days are over. Therefore, they will charge as much as they can demand while they’re still on the A-list because they know there’s an end to their popularity and high demand at one point or another.
(I'm not talking from personal experience, I would imagine this is their mindset)

amother
Mauve

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:39 pm
amother wrote:

Omg wow. Seriously?! Is this satire? I'm both a makeup artist and a hairstylist/sheitalmacher.

In NY/NJ the are options for all ends of the price spectrum. Nobody's forcing you to take the expensive ones.

Each profession has different expenses. There's continuous education, always buying more products and accessories etc...
Also, a lot of what you're paying is because the stylist or makeup artist is coming to you, schlepping her stuff and working in not so ideal spaces. So that's the same whether it's a MUA or stylist. Many are a lot cheaper if you go to their salon.

But I understand your angst. Today everybody wants top luxury service at bargain prices. Too bad life doesn't work like that.

SuperWify

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 6:54 pm
Amother, as a general rule Makeup artists get a paid a lot more than hair and wigs. I paid $80 for my face and just $45 for an updo in my wig. Both were considered top in there fields. Both are labor intensive standing on your feet for hours kind of work.

In Lakewood you can get someone just starting out for $45-55 a face. Mid rage $75-90 and expensive is $100 and up. I don’t know of anyone here that charges more than $150.

mommy3b2c

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 7:09 pm
essie14 wrote:

Thank you for explaining it so well. Sometimes these threads leave me scratching my head.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics