Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
Do I HAVE to have metal bowl for challa in Bosch?
1  2  Next

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:47 am
do you have a bosch and make challa in the standard plastic bowl it comes with? will it burn the motor? is it harmful to the mixer or is it totally fine?
also, do I need special beaters for challa or will what it comes with suffice?

myself

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 9:50 am
I've been using the white bowl for years.

cm

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 10:00 am
I use the white bowl, but a full five pounds of flour is a little too much for it, I have found. I use the bread hook that came with it.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:03 am
amother wrote:
do you have a bosch and make challa in the standard plastic bowl it comes with? will it burn the motor? is it harmful to the mixer or is it totally fine?
also, do I need special beaters for challa or will what it comes with suffice?

I have used the white bowl by mistake for a full 5 pounds of Challah and the motor shut off. I had to reset the machine. The dough was too heavy for that bowl/attachments.

little neshamala

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:09 am
I use the white bowl with dough hooks for 6 lb flour on the highest speed and it works fine

amother
Black

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:14 am
oh boy. why does it matter the bowl construction? isn't the motor what counts?

myself

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:37 am
Just want to add that I never do more than 3.3 pounds (1.5kg) of flour.

ectomorph

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 11:59 am
little neshamala wrote:
I use the white bowl with dough hooks for 6 lb flour on the highest speed and it works fine
me too. What's v your v recipe looking fur a 6 lb alternative

itsmeima

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:22 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I have used the white bowl by mistake for a full 5 pounds of Challah and the motor shut off. I had to reset the machine. The dough was too heavy for that bowl/attachments.

I was just going to write that... My machine has gone crazy - how did you ”reset” it?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:25 pm
itsmeima wrote:
I was just going to write that... My machine has gone crazy - how did you ”reset” it?

We turned it over and found a reset button somewhere - kind of like the type on the newer electrical outlets where you are able to reset after it turns off automatically when too much power was being pulled through the electrical line. I was so relieved - thought I'd killed it.

itsmeima

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 1:45 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We turned it over and found a reset button somewhere - kind of like the type on the newer electrical outlets where you are able to reset after it turns off automatically when too much power was being pulled through the electrical line. I was so relieved - thought I'd killed it.

You have the universal mixer? I don't see it!

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:01 pm
itsmeima wrote:
You have the universal mixer? I don't see it!

Yes. I'll try to take out the mixer soon and see if I can give you a better description so you can find the button.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:17 pm
https://smhttp-ssl-21049.nexce.....n.pdf

Scroll down to page 7 and see where it shows image 2b (under the machine).

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:18 pm
I use the white bowl for a long time making 5 pounds of challah. No issue there.

Eselle13

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:08 pm
I think it might depend on which version of the bosch you are using. My mother had one that she got married with almost 30 years ago and always used the metal bowl. Then it finally died recently, so she got the version they sell now with all the new bowls because the old ones didn't fit perfectly. They don't sell the metal bowl for the current version of the mixer so she used the white one and killed something inside the mixer within a few months. (she only used it for challah)

She found a heimish store that was willing to repair it and he told her that she must use the old metal bowl (with bumpers on bottom to make it balance right) He said that so many people are burning out the mixer because they are using the white bowl and it wasn't meant for 5 pounds of challah dough.
Since she switched back to the metal bowl, she hasn't had any more issues with it.

itsmeima

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:12 pm
ra_mom wrote:
https://smhttp-ssl-21049.nexcesscdn.net/media/pdf/boschinstruction.pdf

Scroll down to page 7 and see where it shows image 2b (under the machine).

That's really kind of you! I have a different model. Oh well, thanks for trying...!

cheerios

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:16 pm
I've been using the white bowl for years for 5 lbs of flour. I think the trick is not to overload the machine by putting all the ingredients in together. If you do it gradually (I mix all the liquid ingredients with 6 cups of flour, then add the rest) it shouldn't be a problem.

ra_mom

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:23 pm
itsmeima wrote:
That's really kind of you! I have a different model. Oh well, thanks for trying...!

Google the manual for the model you have and then do a search in the manual for the reset switch. It's usually hidden, the switch is not that obvious.

amother
Apricot

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:25 pm
The newer models are defo weaker. I had an older model I bought about 17 yrs ago and it died 3 yrs ago. The newer model isn't as strong.

happymommy6

Post Wed, Dec 19 2018, 9:26 pm
Do any of you Bosch users find the lid comes off while kneading the challah? Any tips on keeping it on?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen