Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Chanuka Gift / Tip for Playgroup Morahs

amother
Ginger

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 3:01 pm
So it’s that time of year and lots of people I discussed this with thought that info on this topic would be helpful ....

What is the ‘accepted’ gift or tip given for playgroup morahs? And what do you plan to give?

Also, please specify your circles for reference sake Smile

Thanks in advance!

(Some background - I was clueless about this concept and did not give anything for my son’s babysitter last year. It did not occur to me that there were ‘expectations’ and ‘norms’... suddenly babysitter who used to be really friendly and warm became cold and distant to both us and our child . I won’t go into detail about how bad it got but we ended up pulling out because of decline of our sons care. Only recently did we find out that the babysitter was deeply hurt and upset because we did not give anything Chanukah time !!! We genuinely had no clue and would have given had we known!)

Edit - I live in Brooklyn , originally from OOT. But some friends from other areas were also interested, so any info appreciated !!!

CHAYA R

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:32 pm
I gave a diffuser and a nice note. One year I gave this

Hosley Set of 3 Crackle Purple Glass Tealight Holders (9", 10", 12" High). Ideal Gift for Weddings, Special Events, Parties. Also Makes a Great Gift. O3 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01D.....CEX32

Loads of luck!

SuperWify

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:43 pm
I would give a gift card (it’s classier) but it seems like the morahs like money (which I completely understand) so I give $25-30 and a nice heartfelt card.

For my DS therapists I’m giving a $20 gift card from target or amazon.

Lakewood here.

thunderstorm

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 4:59 pm
amother wrote:
So it’s that time of year and lots of people I discussed this with thought that info on this topic would be helpful ....

What is the ‘accepted’ gift or tip given for playgroup morahs? And what do you plan to give?

Also, please specify your circles for reference sake Smile

Thanks in advance!

(Some background - I was clueless about this concept and did not give anything for my son’s babysitter last year. It did not occur to me that there were ‘expectations’ and ‘norms’... suddenly babysitter who used to be really friendly and warm became cold and distant to both us and our child . I won’t go into detail about how bad it got but we ended up pulling out because of decline of our sons care. Only recently did we find out that the babysitter was deeply hurt and upset because we did not give anything Chanukah time !!! We genuinely had no clue and would have given had we known!)

Nobody is obligated to give gifts. This babysitter has issues. I'm glad you pulled your child out. It's wonderful to receive gifts but it should never be expected or be a requirement .

I have given $20 per playgroup Morah. But I didn't ALWAYS give. I gave when I was able and didn't feel guilty when I wasn't able to. I always send along a handwritten thank you note, no matter if I'm giving anything or not.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:12 pm
I used to give $20 per teacher with a nice card.

It’s crazy that you had to pull out your child. The teacher acted extremely unprofessional!

amother
Coffee

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 5:13 pm
if you give to the main Morah don't forget the assistants too. We certainly don't expect as much as the main Morah, nor do we expect anything at all, but if you're giving $50 to our boss, throwing $10 our way with a nice card is menchlikt. Smile

Of 13 kids last year I think I got Channukah gifts or tips from 3--- the main Morah got a lot more.

-- assistant

allthingsblue

Post Mon, Nov 26 2018, 6:11 pm
SuperWify wrote:
I would give a gift card (it’s classier) but it seems like the morahs like money (which I completely understand) so I give $25-30 and a nice heartfelt card.

For my DS therapists I’m giving a $20 gift card from target or amazon.

Lakewood here.

Actually I think a check or cash is the classiest.

dankbar

Post Tue, Nov 27 2018, 11:47 am
I was horrified & nauseated when I heard teachers talk about the tip amount having to do with the treatment of child.

amother
Ginger

Post Sat, Dec 08 2018, 11:30 pm
Thanks for all responses!!!!

amother
Pink

Post Sun, Dec 09 2018, 1:16 am
Yes us assistance work very hard. We deserve a thank you too
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics